Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
I've decided this thread needs more pictures so have some snaps I took on the Australia Day long weekend in the Snowy Mountains. Leisurely 3 day walk to Mt Jagungal with the middle day being mainly off track walking to find the site of one of the huts they didn't restore after the 2003 fires destroyed the place. The stick finger like trees are dead from those same fires. The wilderness takes a long time to grow back, a very long time.

Looking out to Jagungal

Trekking along the trail

They'd done a lovely job of restoring the hut we stayed in. It was a bit odd reading about Hitler as a current event.

The outside of O'Keefes hut

With the fog and the dead, finger-like, trees everywhere it made the start of the 2nd days walking feel a bit like a Lovecraftian tale.

Looking up to Round Mountain, gloriously sunny day to start the final walk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

PRADA SLUT posted:

I just did 10 miles in toe shoes, through dirt and rocks. No socks, those non-treaded toe shoes. I had absolutely no issues whatsoever.

If I were to get a dedicated pair of toe shoes for hiking, which would be recommended?

I'd recommend more of me. I'm the greatest. Maybe wear toe socks too because otherwise your feet will stink.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

This old xkcd seems topical

You're not hiking if you're not staying out overnight. It's just a walk otherwise. :colbert:

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

nate fisher posted:

Ha! Say that to a person who just climbed 3,500 feet and killed their knees going back down in the same day. That's a hike.

Sorry friend but you went on a long walk.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

bongwizzard posted:

This is exactly what I'm looking for, but I forgot to mention I also want belt loops as I am a weirdo who hikes with a tucked in under shirt and a lightweight button up shirt over it.

You sure as poo poo are a weirdo for doing that. I couldn't see a shirt staying tucked in for more than about 15 minutes of faffing before it came out. Why walk like that?

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

You had me at tick layer. Be as weird as you like if it is going to stop you getting those guys on. Thankfully they're not really a problem here in glorious :australia: for the most part (probably because everything else eats them).

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

bongwizzard posted:

This is exactly what I'm looking for, but I forgot to mention I also want belt loops as I am a weirdo who hikes with a tucked in under shirt and a lightweight button up shirt over it.

Just hike in these, it's got everything you want.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Question about fuel:

I'm doing a 10 day trip to Katahdin and the 100 Mile Wilderness in a few weeks and have my menu mostly planned out. What I still need to figure out is how much fuel to bring. Right now I've got dehydrated meals (Mountain House & Backpacker's Pantry) for the following:

4x hot breakfasts
10x hot dinners

I'm using an Optimus Crux stove to heat water for meals and currently have a 220g fuel canister packed...is it reasonable to expect that to last the entire trip, or should I go with an extra 110/220g canister?

A little thing you can do to save a bit (not much but if it means the difference between 1 or 2 cans of gas then it can be worth it) is to switch water for meals off before it boils. Obviously only do this with water that you know is fine to drink otherwise but you don't need boiling water for oats / dehydrated meals, you just want it hot enough to soak into what you're cooking and still have it warm to eat. 30 seconds less of cook time adds up after a few days.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

eSporks posted:

Anyone have any thoughts about USB rechargeable headlamps?
I'm currently preparing for some cycle touring and plan on taking a solar charger and battery pack. These seem like they could be a good way to go, and I'm curious about their reliability. I do know it could be an issue if I find myself without power for a long stretch. I've used USB rechargeable lights on my bike for commuting and haven't had had issues in terms of reliability or charge time, but I know thats a very different thing.

I have the black diamond revolt and it takes AAA batteries and can be recharged. It claims to need the black diamond batteries that come with it but as mine still hold charge fine right now I haven't had a need to see if that is actually true or not. You can easily swap in normal batteries if you're out of juice and nowhere near a USB port. Pumps out a bunch of light too for such a tiny thing.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

And now it comes out why everyone wants to hike with friends. :staredog:

It's a great way to find out how good a friend they are that is for sure. Waking up in gaol next to your buddy isn't as good a friend as picking a tick out of your friends multi-day hike stank butt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Good on you for being smart and knowing your limits. Pro tier move that.