Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
Just got an internship working in forest regeneration. Gonna need new hiking boots, as the tread is wearing out on my current pair. I want something pretty light and breathable, but that won't kill my feet if I have to stomp on a shovel. Can anybody recommend me a pair?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

Speleothing posted:

That's really broad. Go to a store and try some brands on - is your foot wide or narrow or high volume or what? I recommend leather, mid-height.

Depending on the nature of the terrain & job, goretex may be necessary (swampy & need to work in the rain).
Went to the only really local store today, they dont keep much in stock because they're a small outfit. There's a proper outdoors/camping store about 40 minutes away, so I'll probably make a trip this weekend if I can get time away.

My foot is wide (surprise, that store doesn't keep wide shoes in stock). Terrain isn't swampy (Northern NJ) but I may be out in the rain a bit.
Someone recommended these to me: http://www.theunionbootpro.com/products/dsp_productDetail.cfm?pSKU=158&w=
but he'd never used them for hiking, just as a safety thing
I like that their site has a measurement guide, lots of shoe companies don't

megazord posted:

Vibram FiveFingers :rolleyes:

Merrell ventilator type. I think they all have a rigid shank, so stomp on a shovel with them if you'd like.
Five Fingers are one of the few things that store has a huge stock of!
I will see if I can try out a pair of the Merrells