Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d3k0y
May 30, 2013
I have taken up doing a multi-day hike/backpack trip to Red River Gorge in Kentucky every year for the last four or so. The first time I did it I didn't really have the money to pick up any decent footwear, ended up having blisters all over my ankles after only 9-10 miles of hiking.

Ever since then I have been wearing my Vibram, the ones meant for trails, and they work surprisingly well. I tend to prefer them for RRG since nearly every trail will have to cross a stream that usually doesn't have more than a couple rocks to jump across and I usually miss or lose my balance with 40 pounds of gear on my back. Even wet the Vibrams have decent enough traction going up 50-60 degree rocks mounds that also frequent a lot of trails.

I really need to work on my endurance during hikes however, I tend to get demolished around the 20 mile mark. I guess that has a lot to do with my pack as well actually since I don't have a lot of low weight gear that I can afford, so as I said before my packs tend to be ~40 pounds. I usually pack:
A (crappy) 4-person tent (not made for backpacking)
A paper based water filter. So I don't have to carry multiple gallons of water
A single change of clothes. In case I fall in water
A pair of socks. I only need the one to keep my feet warm at night since I use Five-Fingers on the hike
A sleeping bag. I can't actually fit inside the thing completely since my shoulders are too broad, I need to switch to a quilt
Enough food for the trip + 1 day. These usually end up being MREs since they take less water than freeze dried and are easier to eat on the walk. Three day hike = 4/5 MREs
Random safety gear. First Aid, Solar Powered Radio/Cell Charger, (rape) Whistle, couple separated packs of matches
Headlamp with another set of batteries

The tent is my biggest weigh down (~8 pounds) but I can't find an smaller tent that I can afford since most tents under 4-person start getting into ultra-lights.

Also if anyone know of any decent backcountry trails within 200 miles of Cincinnati I would be grateful. I tried Wayne National Forest but their backcountry setup is stupid as all get out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d3k0y
May 30, 2013

Business of Ferrets posted:

Are you backpacking on your own? Or with others? If it's just you, you might consider saving up for a lightweight, two-person tent. Not sure how tight your money situation is, but if I were in the market, I would probably go for a Tarptent Double Rainbow. 2.5 pounds, 275 dollars.

That looks like a pretty nice tent actually. A bit over what I was hoping I could spend on one, but I might be able to manage. I do tend to backpack with friends actually so the 4-person isn't a huge problem as long as I have time to shift some of my burden onto them to balance out the fact that I am carrying the tent.

I have also tried using a hammock I made which is significantly lighter and smaller, but turns out that I am not a back sleeper so it isn't particularly useful for sleep.

d3k0y
May 30, 2013
When I got my filter, which is just a paper filter not the better ceramic filter, that you really kind of need to know the ecology of the area you are going. The filter doesn't do very well with living things, it is mostly for pollution and sediment. I have used my filter numerous times in Kentucky and never had a problem with sickness, but Kentucky (and most areas in the US) doesn't have problems with parasites/viruses in the water.

I guess another question would be, what kind of filter are you using and how old is it?

d3k0y
May 30, 2013
Has anyone ever tried rip-stop nylon for an overhead tarp? I tend to use a hammock when I go backpacking as it is much lighter to carry, and I don't have to care about the ground conditions when I pick a spot. However I kind of have to have a roof when I do so, right now I just use a crap "light-duty" 12x10 tarp which probably weighs as much as the hammock does and takes up a ton of space.

I figure the nylon won't be as strong or durable as the tarp, but hell of a lot lighter and more compact. But I am worried about how to tie it down and about it possibly leaking in a heavy rain.

d3k0y
May 30, 2013

evil_bunnY posted:

ripstop needs a membrane/coating to become waterproof

Kind of what I figured. So since that idea is out the window, does anyone have any suggestions on a lightweight waterproof/resistant tarp? 10x8, 12x10 is the size I am expecting.

That also said, if anyone has done hammock camping, has anyone tried a waterproof cocoon. Instead of having a big tarp overhead, instead using a tube around the hammock, hanging off a separate line. I have similar with my bug netting, maybe I can run a "tarp tube" around me on the same line, so I can peel back the layers if it isn't raining.

d3k0y
May 30, 2013
I will check those two places out then, I'd like to keep it on the cheap since the hammock is DIY for 20 bucks, would be a little odd to have a tarp at multitudes that cost. A tent rainfly from a tent is a good idea if I can find one large flat one, and not one that is shaped to the tent.

Thanks

d3k0y
May 30, 2013
Anyone know of some ponchos made to fit over your pack as well, that don't cost 70 bucks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d3k0y
May 30, 2013

I saw that one, but wasn't sure how good it actually was since even in the picture the dude's rear end is barely covered, and I think I wear my pack a bit higher than he is.