Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013
I've become an avid hiker ever since I moved out west. Before arriving to northern California for the drive out, I visited Rocky Mountain National Park, Zion, Bryce, and Arches. It was like I entered a new world. I had seen pictures of these places through out my childhood to a point where they became legendary, far-off magical places. Then you see them for real.

Anyway, I've gone on numerous hikes here in CA, including Death Valley (hint: you can do things there in winter without suffering) and the Desolation Wilderness in Tahoe. I haven't spent much money on gear - usually I just wing it. I layer up, throw on some shoes, pack some food, etc. The basics seem to be enough. I do have a "Life-Straw" which filters water from streams in the wilderness, and a flashlight just in case.

I'd love try backpacking in the future but my budget is tight at the moment.

By the way, I might go to Grand Teton National Park in a few weeks. Fingers crossed.

A Kpro posted:

Someone else decided to camp out in the wilderness of Idaho and came back with this shot

That's fantastic. I'm still getting to used to the fact that Idaho has things worth seeing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013

-CHA posted:

I'm going to be heading out there in May. Hopefully I won't run into any issues with closed seasonal roads and can get at least a few miles of trails in without any hassle.

That's the problem I have. My only chance to go would be late March, which isn't exactly a snow-free time of the year for Teton. My back-up is Redwoods National Park, or a trip to the coast (Big Sur?)

Feedbacker posted:

Grand Teton: The Taggart and Bradley Lakes trail is a great hike. It has excellent range views and meets your distance and difficulty criteria.

http://www.nps.gov/grte/planyourvisit/upload/Taggart_Lake_topo.pdf
http://www.nps.gov/grte/planyourvisit/upload/Dayhikes10.pdf

LOL at the Grizzly warnings. I'm well-acquainted with the black bear "I don't care if you're here just stay away from my cubs" here in California, but grizzly bears? That's a little different.

There's also a large population of wolves at Grand Teton, I think.

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013
Well the Grand Teton weather isn't looking so great in 10 days. It seems to be getting colder and snowier. I'll still keep checking the reports though.

Since Anza-Borrego Desert State Park and Joshua Tree National Park are close to each other, I figured it would make an equally exciting trip. Has anyone ever hiked these?

I love the desert. Makes sense to go before it gets unbearably hot.

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013
This thread is making me feel like spending $1000 on equipment.

jb7 posted:

I had to explain the other day why jeans are usually a dumb choice for hiking :downs:

Tell me more. Should I buy... hiking pants? :( I wear old, torn jeans on hikes when the weather is colder (shorts otherwise, obviously). Just stuff I can ruin and not worry about, basically.

edit: posted awhile ago about Anza-Borrego and Joshua Tree without a post-trip report. I loved the isolation and vastness of the former - very peaceful, quiet, barely saw anyone. Joshua Tree, however, was a few miles away from an urban area and the air quality was so-so. Lots of people. Also, graffiti was on some of the rocks. Great trip. I loving love the desert.

Telesphorus fucked around with this message at 09:10 on May 23, 2014

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013
Spent the weekend in Yosemite National Park.

It was awesome! I put off my visit for years because it's the most popular park, but I avoided the Valley (where the mall and god-knows-what-else is, ugh) and had a wonderful experience. I highly recommend a trail called Mono Pass, a moderate 5-mile hike that passes through meadows, streams, and forests to a spectacular view of Mono Lake.

At Hetch Hetchy, I heard rustling in the manzanita bushes 10 feet away from me. Then I heard a huffing noise, like a happy dog. It was not! Yup - a very tame bear feasting on berries. I slowly backed away and watched him wander off to another bush without even seeming to notice me - it was exhilarating.

Again, great park. You don't need to see the main attractions like Half Dome. There's plenty of great sights, wilderness and trails without people.

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013
Any of you folks ever drive down Highway 395 in eastern California?

It is spectacular as soon as you hit Lee Vining, home of Mono Lake - heading south. You will pass Mammoth Lakes and eventually countless portals into the Sierra Nevada - including Mount Darwin and Mount Whitney.

I spent Labor Day weekend hiking by Palisades and John Muir Wilderness. The fusion of desert and Sierra landscapes is fascinating. Seriously, check out the eastern side of the Sierra sometime! It is unjustifiably overlooked.

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013

Ropes4u posted:

Having lived in bishop and mammoth I can assure you it's the bomb. Don't miss the bristled cone pines which are some of the oldest trees in the world.

http://www.nps.gov/grba/planyourvisit/identifying-bristlecone-pines.htm

This is hilarious, because I slept along the road that goes to Bristle Cone Pines last Friday night. I wish I had time to drive up there all the way, but I hiked Big Pine Lake Trail instead.

I enjoyed my brief stay in Bishop and would love to go back.

joeshmoetogo posted:

Hey I'm going to be hiking Whitney on Tuesday. I plan to make my way back to the Bay Area by Saturday morning via 120 so much of the Eastern Sierras is on offer for Wed and Thurs.

While I have all my backpacking gear I am more inclined, after Whitney, to manage 8-12mile day hikes while sleeping in the back of my truck. Have a fishing pole/permit and grill.

I'll recommend my three hikes on Highway 395 (I won't go too far into details, but a Google search can provide more info). They were AWESOME:

1. Big Pine Lake Trail - if you like alpine lakes, this is great. The 15 mile trail passes six of them.

2. Darwin Lakes - located in Bishop. Take the Highway 168 portal. This 14 mile trail is very challenging with a 3600 foot ascent in 5 miles. Great scenery.

3. Steelhead Lake (located on McGee Creek road) - a leisurely, pleasant trail located 8 miles south of Mammoth Lakes. It gradually goes up in elevation for 12 miles - gradually.

Telesphorus fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 6, 2014

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013

Saint Fu posted:

Evolution Lake

R0002150 by spf3million, on Flickr

gently caress. I've always wanted to hike the Evolution Region.

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013
Does anyone know if rock climbing shoes are suitable for hiking? Someone I know bought a pair and was hoping they could be used for both. They have especially hard/flat soles, not sure if that'd be a problem

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013
Over Thanksgiving break I'll be taking a trip either to Sawtooth Wilderness in Idaho, the Highway 395 Whitney Portal area again, or into Arizona wilderness. This depends on snow, and I have a feeling I'll be playing it safe and going to Arizona - anyone know of any amazing AZ trails?

Also want to mention that I bought new Lowa hiking shoes. Hope that means I'm a pro. maybe not.

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013
Recently bought an Arc-teryx Fortrez hoodie, Lowa hiking shoes, and alpine climbing pants. A relative is also sending me his military-issued Wiggy sleeping bad which can apparently withstand -40 degrees.

The hoody is especially recommended: http://www.rei.com/product/855422/arcteryx-fortrez-hoodie-fleece-jacket-mens

For reference, I was the idiot who hiked in jeans and random layers of clothing my whole life until now.