Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meefistopheles
Nov 11, 2013
Hey folks, I was wondering if anyone has particular recommendations on first aid kits. Do most people use a prepackaged kit, or make up their own versions? It seems like the majority of cheap kits lack at least a clotting agent, and I would like to make sure there aren't any other must-haves that I am missing out on. Most of my use is weekend hikes, with the occasional four-day to week-long hike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meefistopheles
Nov 11, 2013
What do people recommend for sunglasses? I'm thinking about a pair of prescription shades for longer trips. For shorter trips I can usually get away with just wearing contacts under my cheapo sunglasses, but I'm planning some longer trips, and I'd rather avoid having to worry about carrying multiple pairs in and out. There seem to be a lot of places that do prescription lens replacements, and I was hoping there might be an agreed-upon frontrunner. I'm also not sure if replacement prescription lenses are as resistant to scratching and damage as the standard.

Frame suggestions are welcome too, especially for large to extra large faces. I used to have a pair of Native Nano 2s that fit really well, and they seem to be the largest that Native makes. I wouldn't mind getting some again with prescription lenses, but the frame has been discontinued, so that might be difficult. Thanks for the help everyone.

meefistopheles
Nov 11, 2013
Yeah, it's very dependent on your personal preferences, and especially what your water and food needs mom like. I'm usually closer to one pound per day per person, but I'm carrying very calorically dense foods. For reference, I hike with a 30l pack and my girlfriend's is nearly double that. I'd say fifty is a good size for a starter pack, especially if you're going to be hiking either in a desert or cooler temperatures. Even if you later decide that it's too much space for your normal weekend, it can still be useful for situations where you need to carry a little extra.

meefistopheles
Nov 11, 2013

incogneato posted:

We're starting some loose planning for a Glacier National Park trip later this year. Goal is to avoid crowds as much as possible, but also try to sneak in before too much snow. Ideally we'd do long day hikes, seeing the sites while getting away from the parking lots and viewing platforms. Some short backpacking is possible, as is snowshoeing.

We did Glacier a few years ago in late August, during the fires. Several parts of the park, including a section of going to the sun, was shut down, and crowds were pretty low. I would say the highlight was definitely the skyline trail. Depending on the amount of time you're going to spend, I'd recommend setting up a camp on either the eastern or western side of the park and then possibly shifting camp to the other side. Travel time from one side of the park to the other can be surprisingly long, especially if going to the sun is partially closed. We stayed largely on the eastern side, and of that side the many glacier hotel area was definitely the busiest. Not so busy that you couldn't use the trailhead, but I wouldn't camp there if I were trying to avoid crowds.

I would say the best day hike was definitely the highline trail and then back down to many glacier, but it's a huge park and chock full of good stuff.

meefistopheles
Nov 11, 2013

Ihmemies posted:

Yes, but my rear end is fat, and stomach circumference is around 96cm.. :v:

Anyways, I hope this chafing issue is migitated better next time.

Cotton briefs are definitely a contributing factor.

meefistopheles
Nov 11, 2013

aparmenideanmonad posted:

High % DEET is the best repellant, get at least 40% if you can and apply regularly, especially to gaps in clothing coverage (ankle, waist, wrists, neck, and to your hat).

I 100% concur about the permethrin- pretreated clothes are the way to do it. You can also get it in a more concentrated solution from agricultural stores (harbor freight, tractor supply, etc) and soak your clothes instead of spraying- it lasts longer, but it's a little more involved.

DEET is a good repellant, but it also will mess up any plastics it routinely touches, which includes a lot of hiking clothes. I use picaridin for this reason. That being said, with permethrin-treated clothes I'm not normally using much, so you could probably get away with deet.

https://sectionhiker.com/does-deet-harm-outdoor-clothing-and-outdoor-gear/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meefistopheles
Nov 11, 2013
RI is pretty flat, so if you're looking for mountain hiking, you're going to have to drive a little bit. There are some cool salt marshes and bird sanctuaries in southwest RI, but not much in terms of elevation.
~1 hour drive time I'd check out Purgatory Chasm, Blue Hills reservation, or some of the state parks in West Connecticut
~2 hours will get you to the Berkshires, Greylock is a nice hike.
~3-4 hours will get you to the Catskills, or I'd recommend the white mountains. Lafayette ridge is a great dayhike that can be expanded into a Pemi loop if you're interested in backpacking. You can also check out the Presidential range- Mt Washington is the biggest deal in the area, so it tends to be bustling on summer weekends. Mahoosuc Notch is a little further, but a really fun dayhike as well. Mt. Bright has excellent views, if that's important.
~5-6 hours will get you to Baxter St Park, where Katahdin is located. If you have this much time to drive, I'd alternatively recommend Acadia NP, which has a wide variety of biomes, including semi-alpine zones and tidal caves.