Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Feedbacker posted:

This is definitely not the case for high-end inflatables. The R-values for the XTherm and Q-Core are a lot higher than those of foam pads for a very small weight difference. The real tradeoff is price and reliability.

Exactly. Especially in winter conditions, an inflatable will be warmer than a foam. That being said a tiny rip will ruin your day with an inflatable while foams are unkillable. Without generalizing too much, if you can sleep comfortably on both then foams are better over all for 3 season and inflatable or inflatable + thin foam for winter. If you're in a very wet cold area consider inflatable year round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

dreesemonkey posted:

Can anyone recommend some specific brands/models for some hiking boots? I'm looking more towards hiking boots than backpacking boots. I'd like something that I could use in warm and coldish weather.

I have absolutely zero gear and would like to get into some real beginner poo poo this year with the ultimate goal of maybe doing some overnights eventually.

Looks like the past page has turned into a trailrunner vs boot shitstorm. The correct answer is to own both. If you have zero gear and you are starting out, I can say with absolute certainty that you should start off with a trailrunner. I used to be in the boot camp, and I live in a very rainy area, and the trailrunners get picked over the boots 90% of the time. The boots are nice to have in the winter for warmth, but that's about it. You have most of the year before you'll need a boot, do what I did and pick up a pair of $200-400 boots for $50 at an REI garage sale when you get the chance. Protip: most of the time they'll do 50% off after 2pm on the garage sales if you have a receipt. Buy something else you want in the morning, find your boots, and hang out around the store for a couple hours -- wham bam $400 boots for $50.

Facts:
Decent trailrunners will drain without taking the shoe off, and dry in a matter of minutes in sunlight. Boots will take a full day or longer to dry.
Waterproof boots are only useful for snow, otherwise the waterproofing will only serve to trap moisture inside the boot. Trailrunners with gore-tex socks or double-sock-breadbag-technique will keep your feet dryer in rain mud etc.
99% of boots provide zero ankle support and 70% of boots won't even help with ankle rolls. Skip anything "mid" or "low" as they provide zero ankle support and leak rain inside like a sieve.
1lb on your feet = 5lb in the pack
My Saucony Peregrine trailrunners have better tread and grip than any boot I've tried.
You can buy trailrunners with 3/4 or a full rock plate.
Most boots use cheap EVA midsoles, which effectively makes them a shoe. If you can't resole it and you can bend the ankle, its a shoe bro.

Go by fit/comfort, but if you have wide-ish feet you really can't beat the Saucony Peregrine line if they fit your feet well. Quickest draining/drying trailrunner out, with better traction than any boot, very lightweight, ample toe protection, and they have a carbon rock plate to protect your soles. Not cheap but the uppers are a lot more durable than cheap runners, so in my experience they average out to cheaper per mile than cheap $30 on sale runners.

If you carry a >30lb pack, you're old, you have achilles/ankle injuries, etc then yeah you might want to use a boot, but if you do you really need to be selective about what you buy because most boots these days are glorified shoes for people who can't give up the "idea" of wearing a boot.

I love my boots too, but they get taken out maybe a handful of times a year most of which is in the winter. They have a time and place but if you're starting out trailrunners are much cheaper and more versatile for 3 season use.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 15, 2015

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

cheese posted:

I posted this a few pages back, but Saucony Peregrine trailrunners have basically changed my life. I wear size 13's but struggle with slightly wider than average feet - the Peregrine size 13's fit me perfectly and I love them to pieces. Also, the Peregrine 5's are out but the 4's are really similar and can be had for less than 70 bucks now.

They're loving awesome and completely changed my opinion on trailrunners. Can't agree with you more. The 5's have slightly better toe protection but I've had zero issues with the toe protection on the 4, so a cheap pair of 4's is the way to go. Even in the winter, I'll regularly navigate terrain with a breeze that has my boot and hiking shoe comrades putting their spikes on. The only downside to them I can even think of is that they aren't the most comfortable with spikes and sometimes spikes fall off them, which goes back to "boots are nice in the winter" They also handle rocks better than any boot I've ever owned, which seems counter-intuitive but the rock plate truly does make a huge difference.

I have a brand new pair of Soloman 4D GTX's and I don't think I'll even use them until next winter. I can't even bring myself to wear them out a few times to break them in this time of year.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 15, 2015

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Argh, I love my boots but now I'm seriously thinking of using trail runners on the Tahoe-Yosemite hike. Probably will be pushing 30 lbs at maximum load, but my friend used trail runners on the JMT with great results, and my boots sure did feel heavy on those passes. That 1lb = 5lb thing would mean a lot of savings.

I was unclear on something - can you ford rivers with them, after taking off your socks? Sounds nice, if they drain easy.

Yes, with the right trailrunner. You should bring a waterbottle to the store and see how quickly they drain. The saucony peregrine's are the quickest draining runner I'm aware of on the market right now edit: outside of minimalist shoes with zero protection, I just hold my foot up like I'm stretching my thigh and all the water drains out leaving only a little bit that sticks between my toes because surface tension. They'll be immediately dry enough not to get your socks too damp, or bone dry after a half hour on a sunny day. Not all trailrunners are built equally -- the ones with more constructed/insulated uppers and more toe protection aren't going to drain as fast and drain + dry time is the second most important factor (short of fit) when picking a runner. I think the peregrine gets it right for the vast majority of peoples' needs -- minimalist quick draining upper with a maximalist comfortable and well protected lower.

A Kpro posted:

Would trailrunners hold up in long scree fields? I feel like they'd get torn apart.

That's the point, you treat them as disposable. It's not like the vast majority of boots on the market these days aren't disposable either, seeing as they all use unserviceable EVA midsoles which wear out in a year or two tops. But typically even under extreme conditions the lace loops and stitching will fail long before the uppers. There are runners more and less on the minimalist side, and I would pick something at least middle-of-the-road for scree fields (rock plate and toe protection is a must) and wear gaiters to stop debris from getting inside the shoe. So basically a typical trailrunner would work but I would steer clear of "minimalist" or "ultralight" runners. Traction wouldn't be an issue with a good runner, as I said earlier the traction on the Peregrines I keep raving about is superior to just about any boot I've ever seen. A boot would clearly be superior for this situation but unless scree fields are going to compose the majority of your trek, runners should get the job done just fine.

The main failing point to trailrunners are thorn bushes and plants with those little spike-ball things that you find around beaches. A boot will keep that poo poo out but a runner isn't going to be pleasant. On established trails not in the winter a runner is better 99/100 times but they're pretty much poo poo for bushwhacking.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 15, 2015

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

blista compact posted:

Re: trailrunner chat: everyone on the PCT uses the Brooks Cascadias, Altra Lone Peaks, or the La Sportiva Wildcats. Gotta be a reason for that...

I'd venture to guess those specific runners are the shoe of choice because the PCT is so long, and only WA/OR is all that wet, so a more protected/durable/reliable upper would make more sense to bring than a quick drainer. Yeah I'd go for a runner on the more maximalist side on a super long hike like that, but if I'm just using them for dayhikes and short backpacks I'm not too worried about the minimalist type catastrophically failing.

A Kpro posted:

As it would turn out Idaho is full of massive scree fields on all the major peaks. The ones that aren't scree are scrambles on rocky terrain. Actually looking back on all the ones I've climbed the last couple of years, trailrunners would have sufficed on a bunch of them. Still, my last pair of boots was well worth it and took an awful lot of abuse.

I don't get too much of that in WA so I never really base my shoe choice around scree, but I personally find trailrunners to have an advantage over boots in a scramble. Would venture to guess for you it would be a tradeoff between better at scrambles, and better at crossing scree fields. Would recommend a runner with a more padded upper like the ones in the quote up there to you ^^^ so you don't feel every rock that hits your foot, and going with thick wool socks (rei, costco brand) vs thin ones (darn tough) and sizing accordingly. also gaiters like the ones linked last page, if you ever feel like giving runners a shot. Not going to lie I would probably wear a boot on that 3 seasons and use runners only during the summer for that poo poo though.

COOL CORN posted:

Would a trail runner, something like the Brooks Cascadia, be recommended for a 10+ mile hike up and down mountains, and/or for the AT? I know they're highly used on the PCT, but I don't know if that's mostly for flat hiking or not.

I'm bad at shoes.

Pack weight under ~20lbs? Have decent amounts of muscle development in your ankles? Should be zero issues, if anything runners are preferrable for ascent stuff because your feet aren't as heavy. Descent, boots have the advantage (weight doesn't matter as much, no ankle rolls) but ascent is usually the hard part. Traction is the same or better than a boot with decent runners; not all treads are made the same, but Brooks Cascadia is a good one. I'd recommend bringing trekking poles while you're first getting used to them?

Thoren posted:

Are Darn Tough socks darn tough?

Yes, they also warranty pretty much everything including wear and tear so while it's a $30 sock it's a $30 sock that will last you a lifetime. I don't use them because I'm into thick socks + runners, but don't get me wrong I'm envious of the thin sock crowd among whom these are The Sock.

quote:

how about those internal vs external frame packs???

External is making a comeback now that there are ultralight material/design externals coming out. For me it's frameless under 20lb for long distances, internal frame for >20lb long distance, and internal frame + trekking poles for dayhikes and 1days where I'm not fastpacking because comfort and saving your back >>>>> weight sperging.

If you have back problems, internal frame and trekking poles 100% of the way, having all the weight shifted to your hips/arms is way more important than like 2 pounds.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 15, 2015

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

blista compact posted:

Yeah, that and those shoes last about 400-600 miles so anything less durable and you're looking at a new pair of shoes like every 3rd resupply.

Darn tough socks are insane. You can get them for sub 15 dollars if you look in the right places online.

I've gotten similar-to-more durability out of some of the newer minimalist type runners, but reliability's one of those things where you always want to go with the tried and true option even though a better shoe might be available. So it always takes a few years for new tech stuff to find its way on the bigger hikes. A new shoe design could come out and change everything and be the best thing since sliced bread, but you won't see it hit people's PCT lists until they've used that shoe for a year or two.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

Knife people are the worst.

Well, the worst after snake people.

Though that particular Venn diagram is rather.. circular.

I like knives and I'm perpetually HERPing whenever I hike :saddowns:

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
protip: there's tons of titanium hiking related stuff (cups pots stoves etc) for like 1/2 to 1/3 retail price on dx/alibaba/dhgate and it's all the same made in china stuff you'll find at rei anyway. if you don't mind 1 month ship times you can buy an entire set of titanium gear for probably a few bucks less than a steel set would cost stateside. Or just buy it all at once and spring for speedpost/dhl/etc..

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
Getting pretty tired of constantly putting tears in my merino leggings, anyone have a suggestion for thin synthetic leggings/long johns/whatever?

Levitate posted:

My wife has a Stoic Hardon

fixed

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Thoren posted:

So let's say I wanted to live in a few sets of t-shirts for a long time, rotating them every few days. Would synthetic be a better choice than wool? Point me to some products here, people. :unsmith:

wool, synthetic's main advantage is dry time while wool undoubtedly can go much longer without smelling like rear end.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
How does everyone like the Sawyer mini? I've been using drops for my water, but it seems like a decent step up in the world. Any reasons why I may hate it?

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

My pack's at a base weight just under 10kg, and I'm still unable to leave my Kindle at home. I've turned into one of those people who buys ultralight poo poo just so I can bring the kitchen sink along.

I do this but with alcohol so at least I'm only packing the extra weight *in* :v:

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

cheese posted:

Mountain Hardware Ghost Whisperer Jacket, Patagonia Houdini and Outdoor Research Ferrosi. I wore all 3 of these jackets each day, sometimes layered and sometimes solo. Super happy with all 3 - the Houdini especially was perfect for the "its hot when we walk but suddenly COLD WIND out of no where". Slept in the Ghost Whisperer with the Ferrosi on top and it was great.

Houdini owns bones for high activity stuff. Moving too fast for a jacket, but you want to keep the wind and light precipitation at bay? Houdini and a tee. The houdini shirt is so underrated, it's easily my most used jacket & it's also pretty much the perfect solution for overcast Seattle weather for day to day wear if you get it in black or something.

I've been thinking about trying out combining a nano air and houdini for my insulation layer -- breathability when I want it, houdini underneath to block wind at high altitude, standing still, or on particularly windy days. If anyone's had the same thought and tried it out please let me know how it went before I drop $300 on a glorified sweatshirt.

In general I've been trying to split things up into layers to get the most versatility/options out of the weight I pack. Thinking about switching from zipoff nylon pants and tights to ul shorts + high activity synth tights + warm sleeping merino tights + rain kilt + wind pants since I can carry all 4 of those for the same weight as a normal pair of pants.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 6, 2015

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

n8r posted:

I've always done a gore tex layer over the top of a puffy. The issue with that is if you do start to get warm your waterproof layer will trap the sweat and get your down layer wet.

That's what I've been doing, except cheap rain shell instead of actual gore tex. I'm basically experimenting with alternate approaches to the puffy/gore combination that would be better suited for high activity so I don't end up with a sweatbox and I can maximize the amount of time I can actually wear my layers for while moving before they get stripped. Right now the idea is most breathable hardshell I can find + houdini + nano air + synthetic shirt (dayhikes for dry time) or merino shirt (backpacking for smell) The idea being I could throw the houdini in there whenever the lack of wind resistance gets in the way, or the hardshell is overkill, since a small houdini weighs basically nothing.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Blinkman987 posted:

If there are ballers on a budget looking at the Hoodini, I have a Marmot DriClime windshirt that I bought for about $40.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/ma...&colorFamily=07

There's no hood, but the sleeves are sufficiently long and torso just barely long enough for me, who is very long in both places and something I find Patagonia always comes up a little short in. There's a light fleece lining on the DriClime, so maybe people feel it's a little too warm compared to the Hoodini?

it also weighs 3 times as much as the houdini because of that lining, you won't wear it as much as the houdini because of the lining, and what's the point of a windshirt without a hood? also houdini is really long in the torso, if other patagonia stuff hasn't worked out for you -- i'm 5'9 and the small ends around at the bottom of my rear end. not that it's a horrible jacket or anything, it's just not filling the same niche as the houdini (wind/UV resistance with minimal weight and insulation and good breathability)

i'm always ballin' on a budget ultralight + ultracheap, but the houdini is definitely a piece i'm glad i didn't cheap out on. actually, i almost got it in bright yellow for $40 when it was on sale at REI but i'm glad i didn't because the houdini in black is also my #1 most used casual outerlayer for day to day stuff (and it dries quick as hell in black.) it's really fitted and plain, which is nice if you want to wear techwear stuff off the trail and not look like a total nerdshoe.

you can get cheap windshirts at goodwill and stuff though, they're all over because people get them for jogging. Just look for a thin light weight nylon jacket that says "NIKE" on it. women's section especially is FULL of them and most of them are unisex colors and cuts anyways. most of them don't have hoods that will stay up in the wind tho.

Levitate posted:

I kind of really want a Houdini but I don't need one...it's just a bit lighter than the OR Helium II that I use double duty as a wind breaker/rain jacket and while it'd be more versatile in areas that don't expect a lot of rain, I can't justify the cost right now.

i wish i went with the helium ii first, living in the NW, but they're both nice to have. i feel like any rain shell, h2 included, would be a little too warm for high activity outside of winter with just a shirt underneath, but i can walk around in the houdini and a poly tee in 80* weather like it's nothing. i get all kinds of stares from people thinking i'm walking around in a rain jacket on nice but windy days. houdini's the ultimate "i want to have something on but it's not raining hard" jacket.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 7, 2015

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Keldoclock posted:

Wear the bright yellow jacket anyways. Who gives a gently caress! I don't know about you but my dignity is surely worth less than $200.

EDIT: Be the cretin only you can be

It was $40 vs $100 but you're right I've been known to sell my dignity for less than $60 :bigtran:

I actually went with the black one because the houdini's paper loving thin and I wanted to be able to take advantage of REI's return policy (cats)

I'm slowly becoming this guy but at least I'm in Seattle so there's usually at least a few of us standing in the corner.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
wonder how much swamp rear end 25mi a day dude gonna have

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Blinkman987 posted:

Tried on the Houdini today. I was impressed, but also worried that I'd tear the thing within a month. The sleeves are fine, wish they were a half inch longer. I wish the body was an inch longer. I really liked it otherwise and may still buy it. My local place seems to clearance them out at $49 when the seasons change.

Being long in the legs is about 1 million times easier than being long in the torso and arms.

I thought the same thing but it's shockingly durable, I wore mine pretty much every day last winter, including bushwhacking a few times for volunteer trail building, and it still looks brand spanking new.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
Anyone have any of the Uniqlo airism stuff? I realized that since tossing a bunch of clothes last fall, I only have one poly shirt that's appropriate for summer heat, and for the price I couldn't say no. I'm mainly wondering how breathable the non-mesh airism shirts are since I got a few of both. Are they pretty breathable and suitable for high activity stuff? Or should I plan on the non-mesh airism stuff just being casual wear?

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

OSU_Matthew posted:

Trail runners are nice if you have an ultralight pack (<15 lbs). I think the calculation is 1 pound on the feet=5 on the back, so it's less effort to swing your feet. But if you're in an area that'll be wet, I honestly think you'd be better served with boots. Yes mesh shoes will eventually dry, but not for a long rear end time, especially in high humidity, and your feet will be wrinkly hamburger by the time you're done. Mostly depends on what part of the country you're in.

huh my trailrunners dry in a half hour in the winter and maybe 5-15 minutes if there's any amount of heat or sunlight. its boots that take fuckoff amounts of time to dry, which is why boots are inferior unless you absolutely need them for X reason. get trailrunners with the breathable mesh running-shoe like uppers, not the overly padded crap. i've ran though marshes or whatever in trailrunners, the key is with runners pack +1 pair of socks for everything. they hold so little moisture it doesn't matter if the shoe is dry or wet if you have dry socks. if it's assumed your feet will be wet 100% of the time i'd at least like the standing water to drain out. i know the topic is played out but 99% of trailrunner complaints can be addressed by knowing how to use them (when to pack gaiters, when to swap socks, how to drain them without stopping etc) boots are cool too but i only use them when absolutely possible. most boots these days aren't even real boots, just glorified eva-midsole shoes pretending.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 03:36 on May 15, 2015

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

gohuskies posted:

What do the trailrunner fan club folks do about snow? Especially in the spring and fall, most of my hikes end up in snow at some point, and I can't imagine my feet not being wet and freezing in knee-deep snow and in my Merrill Moab ventilators. Something like the Salomon Quest keeps feet pretty warm and dry even in the snow portions of the hike, while being lighter and more maneuverable than Scarpa Mont Blancs in the dry section of the trail. I really appreciate the jack-of-all-trades flexibility of leather/goretex boots in these shoulder seasons and on hikes that go from dirt and rocks and streambeds up to ice and snow climbing.

Edit: "trailrunner fan club folks" is not intended to be derogatory by the way - I read that back and seemed like it could come off that way. Just interested in how/if the ventilated shoe approach works for snow.

Moab ventilators aren't trailrunners, they're hiking shoes. Trailrunners won't have a ton of material on the upper, so they won't hold a lot of water. I know this is a matter of opinion, but shoes don't start to get better than boots until you start getting into minimalist territory and winter hiking is no exception.

I personally just do shoe -> thin synthetic sock -> bread bag or gore-tex sock -> thick merino sock -> polypropylene sock with waterproof gaiters over them in the snow. Keeps my feet dry and warm on dayhikes, with less frozen sweat condensation than boots. Traction is better on ice without spikes, but spikes are less comfortable and slip more when you need them, but they still work. Snow's less taxing because your feet don't weigh as much, and there shouldn't be a whole lot of material for water to soak into if you do a thin outer sock and have a proper minimalist runner. Always pack +1 more pair of extra socks than you would when using runners, gangrene isn't worth :siren: muh ounces:siren:

You'd be surprised how well they work. Boots definitely have their place in the arsenal, but mostly for insulation when it's really cold. Or when I know I'm going to need spikes. Also tend to lean towards boots for anything after sundown, whereas trailrunners are more of a dayhike thing in the winter. They aren't for everyone, or every hike in the winter, but they aren't as bad as you would think and you shouldn't let your experiences with hiking shoes cloud your judgment of trailrunners because they're a totally different beast.

---

Edit: Here's a question of my own for Pacific Northwest people: how do you sleep? I'm trying to get back into backpacking this summer, and I'm pretty much starting from scratch after getting rid of most of my backpacking stuff over the course of various moves. I've heard hammocks are really popular here and you can set them up almost anywhere? I've always done freestanding tents but I'm really starting to like the idea of a hammock or tarp tent for the sake of versatility.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 07:42 on May 16, 2015

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

OSU_Matthew posted:

^^ Yeah, I think you're absolutely right on the moabs. Too much material to be a trail runner. I just wish more shoes were like my cycling shoes, just straight up mesh.

:barf: for putting feet in bread bags. No way in hell am I stuffing my sweaty sasquatch feet in plastic to suffocate and stew.

Dooo it. I highly recommend taking a gander at hammockforums.net -- great resource. All my hammock gear weighs much less than my tent (which I barely even fit in at a diagonal), and I sleep so much better/comfier than I ever have outdoors.

Two 8' webbing straps (sewn into a loop on one end) will hang me drat near anywhere, and you can add whoopie slings (extra half an ounce) that'll extend the range to trees up to 30' apart.

Oh, and if you're handy with a sewing machine (or wanna learn) it's super cheap to get into. A 10$ taffeta nylon table cloth, fifteen bucks worth of climbing webbing/climbing biners, some amsteel blue, and you're good to go! A regular sleeping pad works great for insulation underneath you, and you can unzip your sleeping bag and use it as a quilt.

I don't even have a sleeping bag or pad right now, so I figured this would be a good crossroads to try out hammocks, as I'm not already invested in ground sleeping. It seems like here in Washington, the hanging possibilities are endless. I always assumed the main weakness to hammocks was the weight, so that's good to hear. I'm definitely going to be looking into them more. Do you use your hammock year round, or are there times/conditions where you would rather sleep another way? Should I have a bivy or tarp laying around just in case?

The only other thing I really have left to get is a cooking setup. Right now I'm eyeing the MSR Microrocket + MSR Titan (or evernew pasta .7L?) + Sea to Summit Alpha Lite Spork (lightest Ti i can find, I don't like plastic utensils.) Any reason not to, or anything else I should compare them to? I'm mostly unsure about the pot -- should I go with something a little smaller, so my stove/gas can don't rattle around as much & so my stove isn't so tippy?

OSU_Matthew posted:

^^ Yeah, I think you're absolutely right on the moabs. Too much material to be a trail runner. I just wish more shoes were like my cycling shoes, just straight up mesh.

:barf: for putting feet in bread bags. No way in hell am I stuffing my sweaty sasquatch feet in plastic to suffocate and stew.

I've switched to gore-tex socks which are actually kind of breathable, but bread bags were surprisingly not that bad compared to being exposed to the elements. They suck but they're free and get the job done.
Check out the Saucony Peregrines if they happen to work with your foot shape/arch type/yada yada. Exactly what you're describing, the upper is just straight up mesh with the absolute minimal amount of rubberized stuff on it for structure and a little bit of a toe-cap. I've tested a bunch of runners and haven't found any that drain quicker. Think brooks cascadias with like 3oz less material on the upper.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 16, 2015

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
Just taking a second to rave about how the Uniqlo Air-Ism Mesh shirts are the perfect warm weather hiking shirts and how I'm never going back to outdoor/athletic brands. Casual looks, ultra-light, reinforced seams, $12 each, and the mesh weave is the perfect balance between "airy" and "opaque."

They seriously need to make some minimalist shorts ala field shorts out of the same material.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

OSU_Matthew posted:

Try checking your local Goodwill for synthetic shirts--99% of synthetic is the same, maybe with nylon/spandex for extra stretchiness.

I use my hammock year round, from single digits to over a hundred degrees. It's infinitely tweakable to do whatever you want. Speaking of tarps, you should look at Superfly Tarps for one stop shop cover. If you wanna save weight, have a better view, Mac Cat Tarps are what I'm using now with my DIY hammock, and they're quite nice. If you're looking at buying a hammock specific quilt/underquilt, I upgraded my DIY quilts to Underground Quilts Zeppelin/Flight Jacket quilts and I cannot recommend them highly enough. Monies VERY well spent in my opinion. It's much lighter than ground options, because you're basically splitting a sleeping bag in half so you don't compress the bottom insulation, and only carrying the rain cover equivalent of the tent for the tarp. No poles, sleeping pad, footprint worth of weight to carry. A hammock plus straps is negligible weight, probably comparable to a tent body (if any of that makes sense).

I really, really love my sea to summit aluminum spork--actually just bought another longer one earlier today for eating out of freezer bags.

Have you had a chance to check out alcohol stoves? I'm a convert from a traditional white gas stove--soooo much lighter, no fidgity parts to break, and I've done all sorts of cooking with it. Downside is I think it goes through more fuel volume than with white gas, and you've gotta refill it if you're cooking for a lot of people. HEET fuel de-icer makes great fuel for alcohol stoves, and can be bought nearly anywhere. Again, personal preference, but it's definitely worth consideration. There's no right or wrong answer :)

This is similar style to what I've got--indesctructible, easy to make with an aluminum bottle cut in half, riveted together, and with holes drilled through it

Just for pot reference, I've got a 1.5L Snowpeak Titanium pot/frying pan lid combo. Size is spot on, perfect for cooking for 2-3, or boiling a nalgene of water for one. I don't like the handles (still need a pot grabber) or the fact that the lid doesn't lock/clip together. But I do like that I can store my stove inside my mug, along with my fuel/utensils inside the pot so everything is all together and organized.

I've made and messed around with alcohol stoves. I plan on testing the waters with them, but I want something "tried and true" before I just up and make the switch. I loved my old Pocket Rocket to death & the Micro seems like nothing but improvements. I'm not totally sold on relying on an alcohol stove because wind, so I want to mess around with them casually a bit more before I up and rely on one.

1.5L is definitely a lot bigger than I will need. I'm looking for a setup that would be idea for 1 or 2 night solo backpacking; light weight, but big/wide enough to actually cook in. Maybe borderline big enough to cook for two once in a while, but this isn't necessary since I mostly would be backpacking solo or with people who bring their own stuff. It should also be able to pass as a mug, but I'm not too worried if it's a bit more cooking oriented if need be.

I've been looking at a few pots.. I think I want something around 800mL-1L and wide so that I can fry on it, and maybe even get away with using the same pot in the winter for a season. Right now I'm pretty much between the msr titan and the evernew ultralight 0.9L or 1.3L.. Anyone know if there's any difference between which size gas can I can fit in them? I like the pot + frying pan style ones too, but I haven't seen much in the way of smaller/light weight ones.

I'm also going to get some hot-lips, screw the ounces. Any other things worth carrying around on a kitchen set if I actually want to cook more than boiling water? Right now it's stove + pot/mug + hot lips + spork + aluminum foil wind shield that i can cut pieces off to fry things. Maybe a little plastic card to use as a spatula/pan scraper? Haven't decided if I want a mug yet as well -- I'm just going to go without one for a while and see if the need arises.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 17, 2015

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
The more I read about hammocks the more I realize you need to be autistic to figure these things out. Hmm I wonder how much an underquilt costs? http://www.undergroundquilts.com/uq/default.html yeah ok gently caress i don't know what any of this means

I still really want to try it out though, there's trees everywhere here and they seem comfy.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Keldoclock posted:

EDIT: I lost Tashan Dorrsett's quote fragment, but for light mountaineering (ex. Mt. Hood) where you will be spending less than 10% of your time ice climbing, I use microspikes and trail runners. Downclimbing without front points is hard, but self-belay makes it safe, if slow. When I need want more speed and I have a good runout I just let myself fall down the slope and use my ice axe to slow down. I use a leash to retain the axe and have practiced it enough to be able to unclog my tool from ice buildup and brake with my feet when the spike and head aren't doing enough. Dulls the axe if you do this too much, so make sure you sharpen it when you get home.

I agree, trailrunners/spikes work just fine if you only need them for a short while. I was running cable line and mailbox all winter in trailrunners and just using spikes at the very top. I've had a few days where they just wanted to constantly slip off, but even then they definitely get the job done for stuff like that. If I have to wear my spikes all day, bet your rear end I'll be in a boot just so I don't have to deal with that. The kahtoola spikes are actually pretty decent on trailrunners/hiking shoes, but I've had some pretty miserable experiences with trying to get off-brand spikes to stay put on shoes. If anything the worst part about trailrunners in the winter is all the questions and weird stares you get from other hikers who think you're crazy for not being out in gore-tex boots.

Went and looked at Ti cookware today at a few places, and it's seriously gotten me considering aluminum. I'm pretty set on the MSR microrocket stove, which actually does a really good job of keeping a low flame, and I was wondering -- would I be able to fry things decently on aluminum with a wide enough pot, or should I just stick with Ti? Also noticed that basically none of the cookwear I was looking at would shut with a 220g canister inside, which is a shame because I would have bought the MSR Titan in a heartbeat if it did...

Someone recommended some warm-weather gaiters a week or two ago.. Can I get that suggestion again?

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Vomik posted:

Have you tried not using sock liners? That's like an old school style hiking holdover and most people I know who have tried them have just got a ton of blisters for no gain.

I know some people swear by them but 90% of people are better off without

I'm not going to outright blame the liner socks, but my suggestion is also to mess around with sock arrangement if you know your boot fits decently well, before you replace the boot. More often than not, socks are the cause of the blister. I have a different sock configuration for each boot/trailrunner I own, and it definitely took a bit of trial/error to figure out what works. Some of them I absolutely need liners with, others give me massive corns. Also make sure you're lacing tight enough in the toebox (if your boot doesn't allow this, might be a reason for a new boot)

Also "between size 5 and 6.5" you're sizing properly right? Your boots should have a full size of room for your feet to swell, and about another half size of room for incline, from your true/normal shoe size. Could be the source of blisters right there. protip: you can compensate for about a half-size worth of mis-sizing with thin vs thick socks.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 21, 2015

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Blinkman987 posted:

I just bought some nikwax DWR tech wash for an old gore tex shell I own and to also reach the free shipping threshold for a SierraTP order.

I see there are multiple types including a soft shell wash. Is that just gimmicky product marketing or do the types of washes actually matter?

I assume so, since DWR wash is just regular detergent that doesn't leave residue behind (normal detergent residue messes with DWR coatings) but don't quote me on that.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
Screw online for used gear, the real deals are at goodwill/thrift stores near REI's and yuppies for anything wearable, and craigslist for everything else. If I didn't wear size small everything I would be swimming in $20 dead bird hardshells.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

OSU_Matthew posted:

For my hammock, I use the 20° flight jacket top quilt and full length zeppelin underquilt from Underground Quilts, and it has by far and away surpassed my expectations--just an incredible piece of kit. Cannot recommend them highly enough. Everything I have from them is top notch quality, plus it's literally a mom and pop shop.

I think I'm going to splurge and get these when I get my hammock.. I'm 5'10, and i would want it to be useable 4 seasons if I can, but I'm not a picky sleeper as long as I'm not freezing myself to death in the winter tbh. What length do you think I should go with for the UQ? You recommended me the 3/4 20* earlier, but I was wondering if that would stand if I would be trying to use it in the winter, or if i should do a 7/8 or full 20*. Doesn't get TOO cold here, but i run a bit cold.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Hackan Slash posted:

What's the "best-value" option for trekking poles?

I've never used them before and I'd like to start. Plus, I'll need them to keep my new tent up.

The poles will ultimately be for a week long backpacking trip in Yosemite. I realize I should practice with them before then.

Costco has really loving good carbon trekking poles this year. $30, carbon, 1lb combined weight, and no more lovely twist-locks. I've used them a few times this season and outside of weight/packed size there's no advantage to my fancy $160 black diamond poles. If anything the cheap costco ones have a more solid feel and are compatible with standard baskets/absorbers. Practice first, rule of thumb is that trekking poles will do more harm than good until you've taken them out at least a few times. Here's a good writeup on proper use; it seems really basic and obvious but the hard part is applying this all to muscle memory and seamlessly transitioning between techniques without slowing down and wasting energy. Key notes being "plant behind your heels if you want the poles to do anything more than provide stability" and "your arms should be really tired after a couple hours if you're doing it right"

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/hiking_poles_technique

quote:

Stove - cold meals (best option) or DIY alcohol stove

I've heard really good things about this little guy too http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...VZ4A4PWCFCFEZX3
$7 for a decent canister stove, can't go wrong there. Probably a whole lot more newbie friendly than a redbull can stove and the price is literally competitive with buying soda.

More ultralight/ultracheap:
Coffee tin cookpot (be sure to burn out any plastic lining) - basically you take one of those can openers that cuts the side of the can, and cut the top off a coffee tin. Then you find another soup can with the same diameter and cut the lid off that. Melt the BPA lining out of the coffee tin and you have an ultralight cookpot that will fit a 110g, a small stove, and give a $60 Ti pot a run for its money. Comes with an integrated measuring device; I'm pretty sure the first ridge is 100mL and each additional one is 50mL. Get one of those titanium pot holders for like $3-5 and you're golden. Shrink-wrap the handle if you're feeling really ~fancy~
Note: steel based cans will rust, you may need to rustproof or replace it often.

Gatorade bottles for water containers/cups. Plastic is thick enough to boil water over a fire in a pinch, but the bottles are lighter weight and literally better cups than a nalgene unless your cookpot happens to fit inside of said nalgene.

Sawyer mini is worth its weight in gold, regularly on sale at amazon for $15

Get a half-decent rain poncho, not the disposable kind for rain gear. Anything with "rain pants" is a joke. Fancy sub-$100 option being an on-sale marmot precip with a Zpacks rain kilt.

Zip-loc drybags, contractor trashbag bag-liners, etc.

Every hiker should have a good cheap blade they don't mind hacking up on a piece of wood. The morakniv companion is amazing for its sub-$20 price point if it's legal to carry a fixed where you live/hike.

Costco seasonally carries good baselayers if you're a size medium to XL for like $17. They also carry good $20 polartec fleeces, no-name down vests/jackets, and $3/pair merino wool socks (Darn Tough is still more economical in the long run) Uniqlo has better athletic shirts than you'll find at REI for $7 on sale (Airism.) Fill in the gaps at your local thrift stores and with craigslist. There also might be good local gear trade facebook groups if you look. Nike windbreakers can be found at outlet type places like ross and such for $20-40 all day long, and a good windbreaker is worth its weight in gold for dayhikes (replaces rain gear unless you're backpacking, replaces insulation while you're moving in the colder months) REI flash packs are screaming deals if they fit you, and they're regularly on sale from 189->99, 50->35, 35->20 depending on size.

Save up for the big ticket items, and buy them when you feel confident that it's a necessary purchase and you know it's worth it. There will certainly be some items you'll have to splurge on, but you'd be surprised how far you can go being a cheapskate, while also being within ultralight territory.

If you have any more specific questions just ask -- I'm just kind of spouting off a "best-of" list. I'm sure I'm not the only ultralight + ultracheap dork on here.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 29, 2015

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Canna Happy posted:

Stanco Grease Pot. The thing cost me 6 bucks at Wal-Mart like eight years ago and its still going strong. Light and large enough to cook thru-hiker sized meals in. Wide base, so it couples with a cat can stove really nicely.

Seriously considering this one actually

Also, :siren:proclick zone:siren:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAtzN_ScKXY

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Hungryjack posted:

The current Costco poles are a lot heavier too. 2lb5oz about twice the weight of the old ones. Not great but still good.

Comatoast posted:

The ones at costco are $45, not $30. Perhaps they've changed products again? Still cheap either way.

I think it varies regionally or something then. I was at the flagship store last week and they had a huge display of carbon poles for $30 a pair, with quick-locks and a combined weight of 1lb. Brand is Cascade Mountain Tech. They were very similar to the ones linked on amazon, except they are blue & black and look slightly different. They came in a plastic blister pack with two kinds of dampers, snow baskets, and dust baskets. Didn't have a scale to test the claimed weight of 1lb but they felt about right alongside my Distance Z's. The Costcos around here had the lovely white 2lb twist lock ones all winter, and when I saw these new ones I jumped on a pair right away so that hopefully I can bribe my Mom into going on hikes with an elevation gain over 500ft.

You can definitely feel the cheap, as far as things like the plastic used in the clips, foam on the grips etc goes, but once they're adjusted and dialed in they have a very solid feel (better than my tent-pole style Black Diamonds & I know how to adjust those) time will tell how good they are, but for $30 and 1lb they're certainly a great intro for people on the fence.

Speaking of poles, anyone know any durable-but-thin gloves for summer? I know the idea sounds silly but I get blisters between my fingers when i use trekking poles gloveless and it's kind of annoying.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 30, 2015

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
Anyone have the Prana Brion pants? I'm mostly wondering, how do the real waist measurements compare to the labeled sizes, and how big are the leg openings? I'm looking for something with a 5 pocket or chino type upper block, that won't fit like a trashbag in the legs, but also isn't overly slim like outlier stuff. Seems to be my best bet but I keep finding conflicting info on the measurements and I can't find any fit pictures.

Anything else anyone would recommend for "decently slim nylon hiking pants without cargo pockets or zipoffs?"

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Tacier posted:

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I'd be using them on fairly steep snow in the Pacific Northwest and Sierra Nevada. Mt. Shasta, Mt. Hood, etc. So I'd really like the security of a hybrid style crampon over a strap-on. It sounds like you're saying even a lightweight mountaineering boot with a heel welt is going to be a lot less comfortable for backpacking though?

Microspikes are plenty good for all of those hikes, I don't think I saw a single person with crampons last year.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
i opted to hoarde money for that jan 2 christmas-returns rei garage sale. do they have any decent hammock stuff? i can't even think of what i need, but that's usually how it goes.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
its worth checking the garage sale, at least at the bigger locations i've seen a bunch of unused arctyrex stuff. and they usually will do another 50% off 1 item if you wait around until 12pm, so you could get one for like $50. helps a lot if you're a common size like large though, i don't have much luck with men's small but i always see stuff in large.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Look Sir Droids posted:

People camp out for the REI near me. I'm not going to do that so by the time I get in everything is picked over.

Don't they usually have a big January sale too? A relative is looking for a raincoat and I can't recall how often the Precip drops to $70.

january garage sale is a lot less hit or miss because it's mostly christmas wrong-size wrong-color whatever returns. also a lot more big ticket items in new condition than usual because Christmas.
the cheapest precips are when sierratradingpost puts them on sale and also has a sitewide, you might not be able to cherry pick your favorite color but you can get em for like $40.

Look Sir Droids posted:

People camp out for the REI near me. I'm not going to do that so by the time I get in everything is picked over.

Don't they usually have a big January sale too? A relative is looking for a raincoat and I can't recall how often the Precip drops to $70.

people camp out for the ones around me too. granted they're major locations, i show up an hour after the doors open and always find poo poo.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Hungryjack posted:

I'm not sure what your baseline is for hammock gear, but if you're starting from scratch, I notice REI has the ENO hammock system at 30% off right now. $150 down from $215

I have no hammock gear, trying to get into it. With a kit like that, I would only really need quilts right?

I guess it's a moot point though, since one of my relatives cars broke down and I had to lend them like 2 grand and they're paying me back the day after the rei garage sale and probably this hammock being on sale RIP backpacking fund.

Hungryjack posted:

Since I'm always hunting for practical bargains, I noticed that Costco has 32 degrees poly-blend base layers on sale right now for men and women. $6.99 after instant rebate.

I saw black, purple, dark grey, and light grey. Maybe other colors as well, but I didn't see white, which would have been my first choice. The large size weighs 4.75oz and it feels pretty warm.

Those are a pretty good deal, I bought like 10 of them and use them as disposable-ish winter baselayers while i do exterior construction in the winter. Very similar to heattech material but a different weave.

Costco's outdoor hiking socks are a really good deal too, its 4 pairs of thick crew merino/nylon core socks for $12 i think. They aren't as nice as Darn Tough, but 1 pack lasts me a year of almost daily wear before I wear out the heels.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
If anyone's been looking for some "poor man's outlier" pants I just got my prana brions in the mail and they're a pretty solid choice. They're basically just slimmer, cheaper Zions in a 5 pocket shape, so they pass better for casual wear. I went with the smallest size they make, and the leg openings are that perfect balance between slim, but able to stretch around a boot. A+ will buy a bunch of different colors next time they go on sale.

Inseam was a bit over 1" more than advertised and I wish they would have made the crotch gusset thicker because they can kinda put your junk on display without a baselayer, but that's just the nature of the beast with tech pants I guess.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 28, 2015