Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop

turevidar posted:

if you're not sliding off of mossy rocks in a streambed trail while getting swarmed by biting insects in 95% humidity are you even hiking

This. None of that clambering around desolate boulder fields getting whipped by the wind...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
I have these basically grey Keen Logans - theyre simple and sturdy

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
I just pack my Marmot rain jacket during the summer. If somehow the morning is chilly I might throw it on, but like, it's summer - just walk around for half and hour and its gonna be hot as balls soon enough?
Zippered fleeces are good for spring/autumn.
My summer clothing (for Tennessee hiking) is a short-sleeved Champion DuoDry shirt, Hanes Xtemp boxerbriefs, convertible Magellan hiking pants, Smartwool socks, Buff bandana, and Keen boots. One layer is usually more than enough around here...

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
I spent 5 hours doing a 10 mile loop today and saw exactly 0 other people.

Word spacing notwithstanding, a very apt sign. This remote little mountain held hidden treasure:

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop

OSU_Matthew posted:

Buckeyes?

What trail were you on?

Yep, after looking online I think they might be horse chestnuts.

This was on a section of the Cumberland Trail in Frozen Head SP in Tennessee.

Flambeau fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 11, 2016

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Did y'all do anything for National Public Lands Day? I went to Mousetail Landing SP out along the Tennessee River for a morning hike, then in the afternoon the rangers led a combo canoe/hike up to a lookout where we cooked peach cobbler and enjoyed the sunset.

Their overnight trail (a ~9mile loop) was lightly trafficked and covered in moss in many places

However, a troop of overzealous Boy Scouts had blazed everything (earning themselves a ticket in the process) so there was no danger of losing the trail

The rangers were still clearly upset about that, but at least it provided a few laughs

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop

Erwin posted:

I've heard that called the dinner bell.

I was under the impression that bears are spooked by human vocal noises, but a bell is likely to just pique their curiosity.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop

Aphex- posted:

Don't worry I'll be taking a poo poo load of photos that's for sure! I'm taking a 3 season sleeping bag for the teahouses. I'm flying out on Tuesday and flying back on 4th November so it's lots of time to do the trek at my own pace. Going to be budgeting for around 2500 Nepalese rupees a day (~£20) which will most likely be more than enough.

I'm going with two friends and we're trekking independently, not part of any group. I've been wanting to go for over a year now so it's a little surreal to actually be leaving for it so soon.

That sounds incredible, have a great time!

I met two snakes yesterday, a small greensnake who stuck around for pictures after nearly being trampled, and a rather hefty racer (I think) who disappeared in a hurry.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop

Magres posted:

Piggybacking off these posts, how about those shoes if I have no plans for mountain biking? They look nice and the price isn't too bad. I'm mostly looking to be adventuring around the woods, possibly with some running around (ie I want fairly light shoes, but also high enough to have enough ankle support that it'll help me not twist my ankle).

I bought a similar pair of boots - Keen Logans, Mid - about 6 months ago and have no major complaints. They're durable and comfortable, but they can get hot, and are too bulky for running around much. I now mainly use them for more difficult excursions.
Hiking shoes would probably suit your needs better. I have finicky ankles, but for most hikes wear a pair of Merrell hiking shoes that I can hop around in with full confidence.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Going to be in the vicinity of Great Smokey Mountain NP

I haven't been in the Smokies recently, but my brother was at the Cades Cove section this summer and said it's a solid area with nice, moderate day-hiking opportunities. We've had a dry year, with wildfires and springs running dry at parks in mid-east TN so definitely check the water and fire situations at your campground. Hikes prominently featuring waterfalls are likely to be disappointing.

Also I have finally cobbled together a budget-friendlier 3.5 season (for this region) backpacking ensemble.
Kelty Grand Mesa 2, with footprint
Klymit Static V2 pad
Alps Mountaineering Endeavor 20 bag with liner

Clocks in at around 6.5lbs. I tested it car-camping this weekend and stayed comfortable and very toasty in the low 40s. I'm 6'0" ~165lb and the inflatable pad held up to a 10-hour sleeping session.. It's plenty wide but could use an extra inch or two in length, if I'm being picky.. Tent is a great space for 1, 2 might be tight depending on the person.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
I don't know, it'll be busy still but I'm sure you'll find a site unless you show up really late

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop

3 dead in Gatlinburg fires, hundreds of buildings destroyed

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Alltrails.com is a decent resource as well.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Was really looking forward to getting some hiking in with my brother over Christmas break, but with schedule changes I dont think we'll be able to get out. Hell, I dont think I'll even be able to go anywhere by myself for like 3 weeks.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop

Hughmoris posted:

Recently moved to Denver and I am new to hiking/backpacking. I went to REI and purchased my first pair of hiking boots, Asolo's Tps 520 GB Evo, and promptly developed 2 severe heel blisters after an hour walk today. So, I'll be returning those.

A newbie question here but for conditions that you find in Colorado year-round, what sets of footwear should I get? Does everyone typically have trail shoes, hiking boots and winter boots? Just starting off, I don't envision myself doing any extreme or multi-day hikes for a while.

Also, for those out there with long and wide feet, any recommendations for trail shoes or hiking boots? Finding a 13/14 wide in store is hard.

I'll 2nd Merrells. I wear 12/13, sometimes wide, and the regular 13 Merrell Moabs fit perfectly. And I had to spend all day trying on trail runners until I finally landed on 12.5 Nike Zoom Wildhorse 3s.

Also, we got our annual inch of snow this weekend!

Both of these are sinking streams, and the taller one only emerges for a few dozen feet before disappearing again.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Saw my first armadillo in the woods yesterday, they look much cuter when not squished on the highway.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Sounds excellent, have fun!

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Yes, those Australia pics are great, thanks for sharing!

Nicknamed Imodium Falls due to the intense kayaking available at times:

This weekend I went out to a gorge on the western edge of the TN River valley. Over the last year I've been working my way out across the state from Nashville, and am now ready to get into Appalachia proper. I'm planning to hit the Big Frog Wilderness in the Cherokee Natl Forest next, and will eventually get into GSMNP. Due to potential crowds, that particular area isn't my highest priority right now though.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Are you going to take any toiletries like hand sanitizer or a toothbrush? Any bug spray, sunscreen, or hat?

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop

nate fisher posted:

I am starting to hike in the Big South Fork this year, but I still have 4 hikes planned for the GSMNP.

Thanks, I will be sure to get more information from you later on.

Where are you planning to go in Big South Fork? I’ve only done the Honey Creek loop and a small section that connects with Pickett SP. However, next month I’m planning a long weekend in BSF. Starting at Bandy Creek campground, heading north along Laurel Creek and looping around Big Island, then south along the John Muir, with a spur to Angel Falls before heading back to Bandy Creek. Should work out to ~10 miles each day. I won’t hit many of the major attractions, but I think it will be a solid itinerary. I did try to build a route incorporating Dick Gap with Maude's Crack but couldn't make it work.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop

nate fisher posted:

How bad was Honey Creek? I heard the trail is not well maintained?

It's lightly blazed with false trails in some areas. Probably a real hassle to do when everything is overgrown. I had heard it was a problem for some people and waited to go this winter with a group who knew the route, so I can't say how much of an issue it actually is. But I think an experienced hiker who is paying attention shouldn't get too mixed up.

As for book recommendations, I've found the Explorer's Guide: 50 Hikes of the Cumberland Plateau by Johnny Molloy to be very useful
https://www.amazon.com/Explorers-Guide-Tennessees-Cumberland-Plateau/dp/0881509337

Flambeau fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 24, 2017

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Maybe get some Mountain House 'Breakfast Skillet' meals instead? Seems like they're purpose-built to answer your question.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
My 65L pack has half-zippers on the sides so you can reach in to grab stuff.

Saw a bunch of neat caves this weekend on a private property near the TN/AL border:

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
That looks amazing. Congrats on your marriage and a successful adventure!

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop

Alan_Shore posted:

Getting close to my thru-hike! Man Packit Gourmet looks delicious, but I don't think I can justify the shipping just to order 3 meals.

I tried a couple different Knorr packets this weekend. Teryaki lo mein with a pouch of thai chili tuna was drat tasty, while red beans and rice with salmon was passable.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop

Yooper posted:

Salmon talk. What kind of salmon? I can't stand tuna and most canned salmon I've tried seem to taste strangely tuna-ish. I've brought vac packed smoked salmon on trips before and loved it but I'd like to find a tuna substitute that isn't bad canned salmon.

I used the plain Chicken of the Sea salmon pouch. Also I'd normally agree with you on canned tuna, that stuffs gross, but this flavored Starkist wasn't tuna-y at all.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
On the topic of waterproof clothing, is spray-on waterproofing effective for boots or is that more for like softshell jackets? My Merrells seem to have lost most of their water-resistance and I just want to step through puddles and brooks without thinking about it.

Also, whats a good way to dry out clothing in damp conditions? My recent trip to Big South Fork featured a day of torrential rain and a half-day of deep mud, and I ran out of dry socks pretty quickly. When the sun came out I hung the socks from my backpack, and one evening I strung the clothes on a line near the fire... but overall it was just cold and humid and everything remained slightly damp. I had a good time, but walked out with some righteous blisters.

Finally, my lack of rope skills is embarrassing and I'm glad nobody was around to watch me hang my bag.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop

Alan_Shore posted:

I'm thinking of getting a lightweigh long sleeve merino wool base layer to wear every day to fight of the Tick. Can anyone recommend some lightweight hiking trousers that cost less than $50? There's some interesting choices on Amazon. I used to have the Bear Ghrylls trousers with black Action Patches and those were quite nice, if completely uncool ( I thought they were cool).

For affordable, no-frills hiking clothing I'm a fan of the Magellan Outdoors brand that Academy Sports sells. http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/magellan-outdoors-mens-back-country-zipoff-nylon-pant
I also have pants from Pacific Trail (has the thickest/heaviest material), REI (some neat design elements), and Columbia (very lightweight). Those all list for ~$60 though, so look for them on sale.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Looks like I'll be able to visit the Smoky Mountains right before Memorial Day. Backcountry sites can only be reserved 30 days in advance, so I guess I need to find exactly what time they become available online. Tentative plan is to arrive midday at Twentymile Ranger Station in North Carolina and do a 4-night, ~50mi loop: up to Gregory Bald, next to Spence Field on the AT, then down the Jenkins Ridge Trail to Hazel Creek, along the Lakeshore, and back to Twentymile. This will definitely include a detour to sing on Rocky Top.

nate fisher posted:

On a lot of trails in the GSMNP once you get a mile in most of the crowds disappeared.

Do you happen to have any recent experience with the Jenkins Ridge trail? The few reports online make it sound a little dicey. Also, and more importantly, could you recommend a good place to stuff my face once I get out? I figure nearby Fontana Village will have options, but if there's something great on the TN side like as far as Maryville that would be cool too.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
I got a $30 daypack with 2-litre reservoir from Academy Sports that works great for simple day trips. I use it every weekend. It's not ultralight or high-tech, just holds stuff on your back all day. Biggest drawback is that the outer pocket looks like it's detachable but actually isn't. Also one of the straps came off after about 6 months but "I" sewed it back on and haven't had any more issues.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Figuring out food helps a lot. I eat a full breakfast before driving to the location, then after a couple hours stop to eat an apple and a protein bar. A while later I'll eat at a pb&j for lunch, and next I'll eat gorp or something similar. And I leave a banana in the car for when I'm done.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop

What do you have against car shows and putt putt golf?

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Well, it finally happened. Guess I waited too long to reapply permethin to my shorts.
Got a tick on my dick :stonk:

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop

nate fisher posted:

While it has been well over a decade since I've had a tick latch on to me here in the Smokies (I have seen them), it was common to find as many as 2 or 3 latching on to you after any field op at Camp Lejeune.

I picked this one up in the Chilhowee area of Cherokee Natl Forest. My big Smokies trip got rained out last month, hopefully I can get a few days out there in autumn.

bongwizzard posted:

How throughly wet with sweat do shorts have to be to count as a "wash"?

That's a good question.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Well done! Did you plan to be in D.C. for the 4th, or was that just a lucky coincidence?

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop

George H.W. oval office posted:

Got through the Whites and Franconia Ridge and Washington were rainfests. I fully expect my Katahdin summit to be similar based on getting no views in the major “scenic” areas.

Ah, hopefully you'll finish on a high note. Good job, dude. Thanks for keeping us posted!

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop

Ihmemies posted:

I found three! ticks from my skin in monday evening. Managed to remove two of them cleanly, but I lost my nerves and the third one came off in pieces. As a bonus I attempted to dig some pieces off the bite place... I think I got everything.

Get a tick key, they're cheap and work like a charm. Also the wound will probably remain red and itchy for a few days, try not to worry about it too much.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Got my first tick of the new year :thumbsup:

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
I extracted 7 ticks from my legs today. And that was with a fresh application of permethrin and 100% DEET on my exposed skin. God bless tick keys.

Today I went for a long hike. Up to now, my longest have been 20 milers and I've been wondering whether I could do a marathon-distance hike. I decided on Tuesday to do it, so there wasn't any prep other than doing 4 ~17 milers over the last 6 Saturdays. So I went out to Land Between the Lakes, which has a ~60 mile North/South trail, and I did the southern section totaling 28.5 miles.
If you had told me 5 or 6 years ago that I would have the inclination or ability to do that hike, I would have laughed and taken another swig of vodka. When I got sober, I couldn't walk more than a mile without becoming exhausted and my thighs chafing.
Today was very satisfying. Feels good, man.
Feels reeeeeaal good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
As far as I know, just remove them asap. Supposedly they need like 24 hours, but I check during the hike and as soon as I get home. Also watch for bulls-eye rashes and unusual fatigue or fluish symptoms within a couple weeks. Most tick-borne diseases (there are other nasty ones besides Lyme) are supposedly treatable if noticed early...