Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

First post on SA - hiking the AT starting in mid-April!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

How inadvisable would it be to do the Annapurna Circuit at the end of January/beginning of February?

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Cheesemaster200 posted:

If you can handle the cold, and have adequate gear for it, it is entirely doable.

Thank you! By the above, do you mean an ice axe/crapons (or microspikes)?

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Freaquency posted:

When we went out there this year, we had a hiking GPS and it was absolutely essential. The trails are basically non-existent, especially for some of the old mining/homesteading sites, and just having something that was putting down virtual breadcrumbs went a long ways towards making the trip more enjoyable.

Which GPS device did you use for this?

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Braincloud posted:

Counterpoint: newer Anker solar panels are awesome and weigh less than a battery pack. Just used mine on the 3 week trek up Aconcagua and it kept my Kindle, my watch, and my phone happily full. This is most important in base camp where you have lovely WiFi that eats batteries but no power.

Unrelated, how was Aconcagua? Did you have previous mountaineering experience? Did you hire a guide?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

So I'm heading to Corsica in mid-August to hike the GR 20. I've already found some nifty sites (corsica.forhikers.com) but I'm interested to hear if anyone on these boards has already done it and has wisdom to share.