Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Keep in mind that dehydration/rehydration isn't something that takes hours or even a full day. It takes at least a few days to fully hydrate all your tissues, its not enough to just drink a bunch of water the morning you start your hike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Any thoughts on the REI quarter dome 2 for $260, or from backcountry: the MSR Hubba Hubba for $320, Kelty TN2 for $200, or the Marmot Tungsten UL 2 for $240?

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I can only speak for the Quarter Dome and the Kelty TN2. I own an older version quarterdome and have used a TN2 on a trip with a friend. I think the Quarter Dome is one of, if not the best, bang for your buck tents you can buy. The kelty is fine but a bit heavy and I didnt prefer it to the Quarter Dome. The Quarter Dome is light enough that I've packed it on solo trips to use. Standard disclaimer about tent sizes apply, its a 2 person tent so long as you are very comfortable with that second person. For a one man it's a great size, has the two vestibules to store gear. I've used it enough that I can set it up in about 5 minutes now. It holds up pretty well too, in the 5+ years I've had mine the only repair I've had to make is sewing in a screen patch for a hole my dumb dog clawed.

Yeah I'm really stuck between the QD2 and the MSR. I'd be primarily using the tent solo or with a dog. I'm​ okay with packing a 2 person tent for the extra space and comfort. I like the price and extra few inches of headspace in the QD, but I like the square floorspace of the MSR in case I do manage to drag someone with me, plus its overwhelming popularity.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Hackan Slash posted:

Packrafts are cool and good as long as you get a decent brand like Alpaca. I would feel much safer in any kind of whitewater in one of those as opposed to a Oruk.

I would too but any situation requiring you to propel yourself is going to be miserable.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Verman posted:

For car camping, a nice lantern can be good to have around. I've always been used to having a headlamp for when I need light but I've recently bought a Coleman white gas lantern (because the light color is warm and you can adjust the intensity from crazy bright to very dim) and it makes life while car camping much easier when you need a lot of useable light.

Does the white gas lantern hiss like the propane ones? I've switched over almost always to battery operated lanterns or string-lights because the propane one is so loud.

quote:

Another great time waster is learning how to tie knots. Get a bushcraft book or a knot chart, a few small pieces of rope and just go through the knots. Eventually with enough practice you might start to memorize them and it's never a bad idea to learn knots. With a bushcraft book, there's a lot of little things you can practice and learn which would come in handy in the outdoors. You could also make things out of Paracord like wrapping a knife handle, making a survival bracelet, etc. The best one I remember as a kid were finding branches and whittling them into a golf club shape, making a ball out of some vines and creating a golf course. We also made small rafts (gi Joe size) out of sticks and twine and raced them down rivers. It's funny how creative kids can be and how easy we lose it as adults.

My sister is starting to get onto backpacking and I've been trying to think of something to get her as a gift. This is perfect, thanks!

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Last time I went camping with my sister she brought a new 2p tent she wanted to try. I set up my own 2p tent a few feet away, we were in a very popular campground in an area with mt lions and bears, but historically very low numbers of incidents with animals. Some time in the middle of the night she wakes me up because she hears something scratching around her tent and it was freaking her out. I didn't/couldn't hear anything so we crammed her, and all her stuff, in my tent and I went back to sleep. I don't remember if she actually slept anymore that night but in the morning I was helping her pack up her tent. We lifted up the ground sheet & learned what the scary animal had been when a handful of the tiniest baby mouselets I've ever seen came crawling out of the pine needles.

She was supposed to leave for college the next day but that morning she couldn't find her car keys anywhere. We unpacked ALL her stuff & tore the house apart looking for them. We tried getting a duplicate from the dealer and were on the phone with locksmiths, pricing our options, when my Dad asked her if she maybe packed them in her tent and guess where they were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
On the backside of the Tetons there is a large stream called Bitch Creek. I thought it would have an interesting origin story but apparently the first white people who had to navigate it had so much trouble that that's what they called it.