Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I'm going to be hiking in Tuolumne with a shorter visit to Yosemite valley in August/September this year for the first time. Can anyone experienced with the terrain suggest the best footwear for the trip? It will be day hikes with a light pack, nothing too heavy. I don't want to carry full hiking boots if trail shoes will suffice, but I don't want to be twisting my ankle in trail shoes if things get too rough. Will I need full gtx boots at that time of year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Thanks for all the replies, trail shoes it is.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

slartibartfast posted:

Wear something with decent grip or bring poles if you're as uncoordinated as I am.

Further to this, is there anywhere to hire poles in Yosemite? I don't own any (never even used any) and I'm coming from the UK so flying with them could be a pain. Are all poles created equal?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

LogisticEarth posted:

Flying with trekking poles shouldn't be a huge problem. Most collapse down to a size that should easily pack in a suitcase/duffel/backpack. I have a set from Black Diamond and they collapse down to about 2.5 feet in length.

All poles are not made the same, but if you're using them once there's probably no need to go crazy. I know people who have a $20 pair from Wal Mart that they've been using for some time. However, I will say that once I started using poles, I REALLY liked them, so I don't regret buying a decent pair right off the bat.

I suffer from aching hips after 6+ miles hiking so from what I've read, poles could help this problem. Ive ordered a pair of Black Diamond Trail Compact poles and look forward to trying them out. Sadly I also ordered a Marmot Grid and a pair of Meindl Air Revolution Ultras, so I won't be able to eat for a while.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
"Big tits and bong hits" sounds like heaven.