Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Is anyone on here familiar with the process of getting overnight hiking permits for Mt. Whitney? I have been going through the lottery process (unsuccessfully) and this morning, the available dates opened up. Despite the fact that I had two browsers open clicking both of them as quickly as they would refresh and starting ten minutes early, every available date between June and September (all 60 permits per day) were instantly taken and I missed out yet again.

Is this normal? I know it's a popular mountain, but could that many people really be looking for overnight permits to climb Whitney? Or is there a secondary market for selling them that I don't know about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

If I was semi-local, I'd be all over that, but I have a group flying in from Houston. The only way we can make it work is to lock down dates several months in advance so we can set up airfare and make reservations for hotel and auto. Looks like my next window is May 1, when all assigned but unclaimed permits get released randomly throughout the day. I'll just have to be on my game all day long. My hope is that other groups got everyone in the group to enter the lottery (even though it specifically asks not to do that) and there are multiple winners in some groups so those permits will be released.

I do feel better knowing I wasn't beaten out by permit scalpers though.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Levitate posted:

I slept pretty good over 10,000 honestly. Not any worse than I normally do at 8,000, though very occasionally I'd feel like I didn't get enough of a breath for a brief second which was weird.

Also climbing Whitney and back as a day trip is not something that's easy to do at all considering you have to go up like 7000 feet in one day and deal with all of that acclimatization in one day. Seeing people struggling up the mountain looking like zombies because the altitude is kicking their rear end was concerning at some points. And then you still have to hike back down

If you're already flying in and have days off to spend you could try going in at a different trailhead and taking a multi day trip that lets you either exit from Whitney or climb Whitney and then back down and out the way you came in.

Thanks for taking the time with me since I just barged into this thread.

As a kid, I camped at 10k' in Leadville, but that was 20+ years ago and that's probably the highest I've ever camped. I don't remember having any issues with the altitude. I've slept in a hotel there more recently, but we all know that's not the same thing. I would have been ok with a Whitney day pass, but those are also completely taken. In my case, a day pass would have presented several other challenges. For one thing, my 70 year old father is in good shape, but he isn't in THAT good shape. There are a few others in the group who would simply not be able to join me if I tried to blow straight through. The upside would be that I could have hiked it a lot lighter. When I ran Grand Canyon R2R2R straight through a couple years ago, I got everything I needed into a 12L running pack with space to spare. That was 11k of total climb over about 50 miles, but at lower altitude. I've done the 12 miles of Mt. Elbert recently without any problems so the altitude doesn't scare me, but with Whitney, the distance + the altitude at the same time would be a real challenge and once I add in the fact that several of my hiking friends couldn't take part, it takes all the fun out of it.

It seems to me that even if I approach it from a different trail, if I'm in the Mt. Whitney zone at any point, I need either a day pass or an overnight pass. I'd like to think there was a workaround, but I'm just not seeing one so far. I haven't given up on this.

I'll check into Horseshoe Meadows. I've never considered it.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

It's a bummer that the most challenging part of a hike would be getting permission to start it.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

You're all right. I've been so wrapped up in planning this trip since the beginning of the year researching and making sure to have my ducks in a row for every step in the permit-getting process that it's going to take me a while to get my head out of that mindset and open up to the other great places and experiences I can have access to with a five-day trip.

I just need to let it go. gently caress it, maybe I'll go to Glacier.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

SaltLick posted:

Spur of the moment Big Bend trip for the long weekend has me pumped. I've been wanting to go hiking and camping with the girlfriend for a while now and it's going to be absolutely beautiful (high of 73) in west Texas before it gets miserably hot.

Nice! Do you know where you'll be hiking?

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Saint Fu posted:

I call this design the trampoline style and I personally really like it. Haven't tried that specific pack but I have used a Gregory Z55 and ZPacks ArcBlast. They help with back sweat and the way the internal/external stays are set up, usually it helps transfer load to the hips rather than the back/shoulders. They do tend to make the inside of the pack sort of weird shaped, however, more like a kidney bean. This can make getting things out of the bottoms more difficult without unloading the whole pack. I'd guess that's a benefit of a separate sleeping bag compartment on the bottom. Easy access. That and it could be a "clean" compartment, no food or dirty laundry to help keep bedding smells to a minimum. I don't think the separate compartment is necessary, just extra weight for the internal fabric and zippers but you have to pick your luxury features for yourself. I guess I'm a bit of a gram weenie but all of those extra zippers and compartments can really add up. For example, my Z55 weighs about 52 oz while the ArcBlast weighs 21.4. Granted the cuben fiber makes a huge difference in the weight but the ArcBlast also cuts out all unnecessary accessories, things I find I don't really miss when I'm hiking.

Interesting. I am familiar with Hyperlite's Cuben fiber pack offerings, but i had never heard of Zpacks. That Cuben fiber is weird stuff. My Ultimate Direction running pack has a lot of it. I'm always scared I'm going to rip it or mess it up, but to its credit, it hasn't failed me at all. Anyway, I was about to buy a Hyperlite 55L for my wife, but now I need to do my homework on Zpacks.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Saint Fu posted:

I've had nothing but good experiences with ZPacks but it is definitely pricey. As I mentioned, I love my ArcBlast and I also bought a used Hexamid Twin tent for the JMT and it worked out great. It's a little tight for 2 (basically one person has zero head room) but it's ridiculously light weight and the cuben fiber held up great.

It's cheaper than the Hyperlite I was looking at, so it's got that going for it...

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

bunnielab posted:

I went to buy a hammock and there clearly has been a huge advancement in hammock technology sense I last bought one. The price range seems to be like $20 to $200. I just want something simple, rugged, able to support my fat (~220) rear end, and has a simple ring at each end. I will mostly be using it at work in the back of trucks and containers so I don't need any bug netting or what have you. Can anyone recommend one?

My ENO double nest treats me just fine. I was told that since I'm 6'3" I should get the double nest. My wife has ENO's single nest and it looks about the same, only not as wide. The extra width can be a little bit of a hassle if you sink way into the hammock. At any rate, I've taken it camping in hot and cold weather and I'm a big fan. In fact, I take it with me any time I travel whether I plan to be camping or not. It does great on vacation and it packs up small and light.

For what it's worth, I hear Kammock's hammocks are just as good. I use their hammock straps.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Certainly hammock camping can be done in cold weather, but I feel like hot weather is where it really shines. Having that airflow over and under you can keep you cool even on a hot sticky Texas summer night. Just make sure you get the bug net if you're going that route. My boss rented a beach house last August and I brought my hammock just for the heck of it. I strung it up on the deck between two massive pillars and it ended up being the surprise hit of the party. Hammocks and beaches were made for each other.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

It was me :) and oddly enough, Awesome Possum came up in conversation just last weekend. Weird.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

I love your Big Bend pics. I could (and should) go back there every year. Looks like you hit Santa Elena Canyon, Emory Peak, and where's that last picture taken from?

My favorite view of Emory Peak:

(It's a big drop, yo)

Also, this pano I took of my friend Melanie in front of the South Rim came out really well in my opinion.

Bunnielab, from left to right: Double Nest, Single Nest, Bug Net, Kammock Straps with a dollar bill for scale. Kammock and ENO straps are almost identical in construction, material, size, weight, price, and capacity, but the Kammocks are 10' each and the ENOs are 9' each. A very minor difference.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

OSU_Matthew posted:

Depending on how tall you are, a double might have been more comfortable. The trick to a hammock is to lay at a diagonal--that lets sleep flat. The wider it is, the better you can lay out straight and sleep in it

This is true, but at 5'10" the single nest will do him just fine.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

SaltLick posted:

So the camping bug has definitely bitten the gf and I after going to Big Bend. First thing to upgrade is a sleeping bag that isnt as big or weigh as much as the regular pack I had. This is going to become an expensive hobby real quick isnt it

Where do you live? I mean in general. Not trying to stalk you. I'm in Houston and Big Bend is about 10 hours away so my friends and I are always weighing possibilities within a day's drive. I was just wondering what ideas you had come up with.

Also, if you have a strong back and don't mind carrying weight, backpacking can be extremely inexpensive.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

SaltLick posted:

I'm in Houston as well. I'd like to hit up some of the state parks with some decent mountain bike trails near by and she wants to go to places with things to see. Probably check out Balcones, Big Thicket, and from a random clicked page on this thread it sounds like Ouachita National Forest is pretty baller and only 7 hours away.

Yeah, Ouachita/Ozarks is a good option. Arkansas has some great state parks. I used to go there with my dad when I was a kid. A few thanksgivings ago, my wife and I drove up to Petit jean SP and camped in a cabin, but just the day hiking was great. Those are probably the closest legit (if small) mountains we have to Houston. My Big Bend group is probably going to road trip it up to somewhere in the Ozarks this winter. Since my wife works for Enterprise, we just rent a big 15-passenger fan and drive in shifts through the night so we don't lose a day to travel.

If you don't mind putting in that 10+ hour drive, Davis mountains, Guadalupe Peak in west Texas and Palo Duro canyon up in the panhandle are fairly big deals, as is the often-overlooked Big Bend Ranch SP, which is just west of the national park.

Closer to home, Enchanted Rock SNA is a small but fun park with some decent primitive camping but good luck getting a reservation. Pedernales SP is a bit easier, especially in the summer if you don't mind the heat. Bandera SNA west of San Antonio is nice rugged stuff with some exciting trails. I've done a trail race there that turned me inside-out. If you don't mind a little drive, Colorado Bend SP is about four hours away and really nice. My wife and I went there last summer. it's hot as gently caress, but a great place for hammock camping. hen we have the Lone Star trail on the Sam Houston national forest up in Conroe/Huntsville. I'd like to try out some of the other nearby state parks. I know every trail and root in Huntsville SP from all the races I've done there. Same with Brazos Bend, which is a pretty neat park, but the trails are kind of boring. Stephen F. Austin SP is really close-by and I'd like to see what it has to offer. Toward Austin, there is some decent hiking in Buescher and Bastrop SPs, which are more or less linked so you can roam from one to the other.

I'm probably telling you a lot of stuff you already know, but maybe a little of this is useful. I'd love to hear about some of the places you've gone so I can get out there and check it out.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

^^^ LOL

Thoren posted:

Someone please recommend me a 3 season sleeping bag under $200. Preferably closer to $100,

I generally find Wes Siler to be mostly like-minded in what he says and his opinions on things. He wrote an article for Gizmodo a while back designed for the budget-conscious adventurer.

He suggests the Kelty Cosmic Down 20, which Amazon has on sale for $170 with a great rating.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

dreesemonkey posted:

Can anyone recommend some specific brands/models for some hiking boots? I'm looking more towards hiking boots than backpacking boots. I'd like something that I could use in warm and coldish weather.

I have absolutely zero gear and would like to get into some real beginner poo poo this year with the ultimate goal of maybe doing some overnights eventually.

You guys are probably sick of me posting links to various Indefinitely Wild pages, but here's another one that I think hits right on the question you are asking:

What's Better For Hiking? Boots vs Trail Runners vs Approach Shoes

As far as general hiking boots go, I've always been a Lowa fan. I spend about $300 on a pair and I they usually last me four or five years as my daily wear shoes even when I'm at work and not out on the trails. I used to use the Lowa Tanark, but now I use the Lowa Renegade GTX

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

The Precious posted:

I normally use a tarp for shelter but with it coming into winter I'm looking to make the leap into a bivvy of some sort. Initially I figured I could just get a lightweight bivvy sack and put it under my tarp but I am becoming more excited by the idea of getting a hooped bivvy for the extra room and more complete shelter it offers. Two of the main contenders I am considering are:

Borah Gear Snowyside eVent

Uber Bivy

I'm leaning more towards the Uber Bivy because it's massive for one person and only slightly heavier at 730g so I could maybe use it as my only shelter. They also sell separately a nifty lightpole feature where one of the poles lights up which sounds like something I may want to look into instead of carrying a lantern.

Has anyone here done much camping in a bivvy be it a sack or hooped variety? I know I'm kinda getting into niche territory here but I'm hoping there are a few of you who have tried the minimalism of a bivvy.

As a side note I find it interesting that as far as I can tell I am looking at cottage industries here because they seem to make a product as good or even better for a fraction of the price of some major manufacturers. I will have to look into this further as I upgrade my gear.

Oh now that looks interesting. I was considering one of OR's bivy setups, but this is definitely worth investigating.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

I know they are expensive but aside from the cost, does anyone have any experience with Feathered Friends sleeping bags? I'm considering one of them for its combination of small packed size, low weight, and appropriate temperature rating.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Speaking of REI, their 20% off sale ends today. I had been meaning to grab one of their new tents, so I just did it online.

Now I just need to get out and use the drat thing.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Drymax socks (not waterproof) have treated me well for trail running in all kinds of conditions for all kinds of distances. Just take em off and wring em out and they are dry again.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

OSU_Matthew posted:

I only ever trust someone to bring food, even then only one shared meal. I've seen people forget everything else, but never have I seen someone forget to bring food (even though it's really one of the least important things--water is waaaaaay more important).

Sleeping bags? Had a buddy forget to bring one. Stoves? More than one occasion. Unless it's a spouse, I wouldn't rely on others to share stuff like shelter.

If I'm sharing a sleeping bag with a buddy who forgot his, that motherfucker is going to make it up to me in a big big way in the future.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Thoren posted:

Request: Can someone recommend me a light cup or two that can handle hot drinks? I am ditching this insulated stainless steel container to save weight.

Are you looking to cook out of it or just eat out of it? Because I loving love these silicon dog bowls. They are sturdy enough to keep their shape while eating, but you can smash it down to fit in any kind of space.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Levitate posted:

I usually just eat out of the cook pot

If I did more solo hiking, that's probably what I would do too.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Thoren posted:

I need something for drinking hot brew out of.

Also, what UL Downs do you gents use? I have a Uniqlo UL Down but I'm considering a Montbell. Worth the upgrade?

They also make them drink-sized :)

The green bowl is small but not tiny. The little green cup is about the size of a sake cup at a Japanese restaurant. It's bigger than a shot glass, but it's still quite small for a cup.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

I'm putting together food for This AT hike restart, and I've gone full retard and bought into the freezer bag cooking thing.

If you want to be a real cheap rear end and not buy the books, just hit https://www.freezerbagcooking.com at the internet archive and pick a date from a couple years ago when they still had all their recipes posted online.

https://web.archive.org/web/20071013142532/http://freezerbagcooking.com/

One of the guys on our Big Bend trip played with some of these recipes. The turkey stuffing recipe was loving outstanding, but the couscous was a mixed bag, so to speak. I just brought some packets of tuna and just-add-water mashed potatoes in various flavors. Small, flat, cheap, and easy.

EDIT: If you want to go on the extreme side and maximize your calories-to-weight ratio, you can do as Ras Vaughan did on his 6x Grand Canyon crossing and bring almond butter and coconut manna.

Hungryjack fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 23, 2015

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

650 fill bullshit, too. I wear my dead bird stuff everywhere because it's legit good for everything. 99% of clothes are cut to look a certain way when you're standing around, and are completely aggravating to wear biking to work or even just standing in a bit of weather.

I can't speak to the $800 stuff, but I picked up one of these in January when it was $21. When I went to Boston a week later, it kept me warm just fine even at night. Sure it has no hood and doesn't cover my rear end, but come on, man $21!

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

haha I didn't realize Canada Goose was a brand. I read your post all wrong.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

Yeah, it is. I wear SmartWool underwear pretty much all the time because I do a lot of walking around and they don't hold up as well as whatever random cotton thing you could be wearing. But they are so much nicer.

Seems like there are enough places that offer lifetime warranties on clothing that should counteract this.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

I was trying to decide between Zpacks backpack and HMG and then I saw that Zpacks only have a 1 year warranty. And then I saw that HMG only has a 1 year warranty. I can double this by buying it with my AMEX card, but still, 2 years versus lifetime from a lot of the major brands is a real bummer when I'm looking at spending $300+ on a pack. Are there any manufacturers who make super light cuben fiber packs with lifetime warranties?

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

I, too, have heard really good things about sea-to-summit dry bags. I haven't used them myself though.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Optimus Subprime posted:

Does anyone happen to have any recommendations for lightweight fishing gear for backpacking? I am not an experienced fishermen by any means, but I have often looked at bodies of water while camping and been like "you know, fishing right now would be pretty cool". Any good guides to get someone started?

This may sound like a joke, but is the pocket fisherman a legitimate consideration?

http://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Fisherman-Spin-Casting-Outfit/dp/B000HDKOHY

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

I got the email that it had arrived, so I swung down to REI to pick up my expensive new toy tonight. I think this will work out just fine. Now to order some Tyvek on Amazon and make myself a custom footprint for it and I'm good to go.

I find it to be extremely roomy, yet light and surprisingly sturdy. I like the two doors and the rainfly makes a vestibule over each of them for even more covered storage space. Although it would be overkill from a space standpoint, I could even see myself taking this for solo camping until I figure out which bivy I want to get.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Crazyeyes posted:

That pole setup looks kinda complicated. How many separate pieces is it in?

Two poles. The main pole has a Y-split on each end and the second pole is a straight 3-segment across the middle.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

talktapes posted:

I use one with one of those plastic Platypus water bags. It works great, is cheap, and is easy to maintain, however it does take a substantial amount of time to actually use it. I generally go out with a couple of Nalgene bottles and it can take 20 mins or more to fill them up, definitely best as a personal filter. However you'll find slowness with any filtration system (including gravity systems, which you don't have to babysit at least), and you can drink the water immediately which is a huge plus.

Think I saw someone a few pages ago talking about the Katadyn pump filter, a little late but to throw in my $.02, really not a fan of those things. They seem nice but one completely failed on a camping trip I took with some friends a few years ago, my buddy owned it for less than a year and took it out on less than 10 trips, it literally just fell apart while he was using it and we couldn't get it to hold together again. If you look at long term reviews it seems like a more common problem than it should be.

With the Sawyer I usually carry an extra ziplock bag or two so I can scoop up water from a shallower or slower moving source (that would normally be difficult to retrieve water from with a dedicated filtration bag), and dump the dirty water into the Platypus to filter it.

Since you brought up Katadyn filters, I figured I'd mention how much I am a fan of my Hiker Pro. Mine has held up great for several years and it saved my Grand Canyon hike. I also like the fact that it breaks down to the size of a water bottle so I can put it in one of the shoulder water bottle holders on the front of my fast pack. One bottle and the Katadyn and I'm good to go the distance.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

CheshireCat posted:

Planning on camping along the shore this Memorial Day weekend. Has anyone used MSR Groundhogs in sand? I'm wondering if they would be enough or if I need to purchase snow/sand anchors.

I saw where REI had something like groundhogs but they were spiral and longer. Those might hold better? No idea.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

Do tents really add much warmth assuming no wind? I assume the smaller the tent the better for that purpose.

You warm up the inside of the tent and there's no wind to blow the warmth away.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Picnic Princess posted:

There are two types of accidents: experienced people who really had a legitimate accident, and dumbasses who pushed too far or tried to take a shortcut and got stuck.

Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll end up stuck halfway up a cliff.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

bunnielab posted:

Awesome man, thanks! I never tried a ridge line but have plenty of 5mm cord at hand. I used to be a theatrical rigger so I have a bunch of rope, webbing, and such laying around.

I really don't want to buy a tent or a sleeping bag yet but I really want to do some overnights on the C&O canal in July.

I have an ENO double nest and my wife has a single nest. Reviews on REI and Amazon say most people only run into length issues on the single when they are over 6'2". Also to the guy who threw out all those super-exact figures (Was the ridgeline about 83% of the length and the angle of the dangle about 30 degrees?) I think you're way overthinking things, man. It's a hammock. Set it up and lay in it. If it's not comfortable, change it around. You'll know when you get it right.

Or maybe I'm just an easy sleeper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Down here in Texas, cowboy boots are frequently considered under the label of dress boots. You see them in the field as well as in the board room.

But yes, your point stands.