Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Verman posted:

[Back Injury Chat]

I've dealt with it on and off for years, but I had a really bad back spasm flare up a year and half out so ago after chopping wood. It escalated steadily for a few weeks and eventually incapacitated me for a few days. I actually had to cancel a backpacking trip into NH's White Mountains because of it.

Physical therapy wasn't really doing much for me. A friend of mine who is a sports medicine doctor noticed I was really struggling and scheduled me for a dry needling session with her.

I had always been skeptical of dry needling, but I was convinced after a single session. In about 30 minutes of needling I went from needing my wife to put my shoes on me, to being able to almost touch my toes. In total I had 3 or 4 sessions over the next month or so and my spasms were almost completely eliminated. This alleviated a lot of the pressure on my lumbar vertebrae which led to long term sustainment of low to no pain, and also allowed the PT balancing/strengthening exercises to actually work.

Minus endurance losses due to a new job and quarantine, I'm basically where I was before that share up with respect to hiking and climbing. I'm back to feeling confident that my back can handle it.

I'm not sure what your health care situation is, but even if you have a hard time getting a referral a lot of PT places have a licensed dry needler you can schedule for reasonable rate. In my experience even a couple of sessions will go a long way to relieving pain and restoring body confidence.

I hope that helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Verman posted:

Cool I'll have to check it out. Same here with the quarantine/lack of cardio/sitting a lot.

I did the PT thing for a few months and continued to do the exercises but I didn't have much success. Obviously continuous exercise keeps me loose which feels good but its not lasting relief, and the moment I stop everything hurts like hell. Every morning feels like I'm starting back at zero. I'm very skeptical about a lot of "treatments" but I'm at the point that I'll try anything with an open mind if there's even a remote chance it could help. My wife has commented on my groans and whatnot and she said the change in my posture was noticeable. I'm compensating to either alleviate the pain which has caused a pretty noticeable shift in my hips when I look straight into a mirror. I've got good health insurance so Ill probably give it a try. Before I was willing to do what my doc suggested and be patient but now I'm desperate.

I hope it works out for you, I really do.

I was pretty depressed about the overall loss of quality of life I was facing at the time. I couldn't shake the feeling that my active days were behind me. It was rough few months for me, physically and emotionally.

When I first injured my back in my mid 20s PT didn't work for me at all. I basically just had to take it easy for a long, long, time until my spasms subsided but it took years before I felt confident in my back again. I still had, "bad days" though and had just learned to deal with it and "play through the pain."

This latest time I was in my late 30s and was pretty certain my body's ability to naturally recover like it did before was limited. However, the physical therapy just wasn't helping while my spasms were in force. Getting them to release, even a little, really helped the exercises to be effective. The improvement was relatively rapid after that actually.

Now, pushing 40, I actually feel like my back is in better condition then it was in my 20s. I'm still very wary of a lot of shear on my lumbar (like deadlifting), but otherwise I'm unrestricted.

If the needling doesn't help release your back then the best advice I can offer is to do your best to deal with the pain until this episode subsides a bit and then continue your PT regimen. If you asked me a decade ago I would have told you that it didn't help, but this time around I think it really did work once my back was loosened up enough to be worked out evenly.

Good luck.