Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exwhyze
Dec 27, 2003

I'm a slave to the power of death!
Wanted to chime in with my US military surplus backpacking getup. Mostly, milsurp gear (that I encounter in WI) is ideal for winter/weeklong backpacking. I picked up an older ALICE frame pack a year or so ago and was impressed with how much space it had in there. After taking it to the grocery store and back, I realized I DESPISED the stock straps on that thing. Google led me to putting current-generation MOLLE straps and a backpad on there, which made a world of difference. I picked up a current-issue 4-layer coldweather sleeping bag as well, which fits in a nice pouch made for the MOLLE system which conveniently also attaches to the bottom of the ALICE frame. I've found that ideally you'll want to load up the weight in the middle of the bag, and use your somewhat lighter clothes as "shims" to keep the heavy load in the center of the pack. It's a relatively heavy setup compared to a summer load, especially with weapons and ammunition if you're hunting too. I feel that the ability to carry a reasonably weatherproof sleeping bag and an extra change of clothes or two is worth the trade-off.

If you find yourself yearning for the outdoors despite the cold, you will likely find at least a few things at the military surplus store that will alleviate one or two major headaches. Always check the quality of any item you purchase, especially used, to make sure that it contains all of the parts necessary to make it work, and that excessive fraying has not ruined the structural integrity of any fabric items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU