Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

That Osprey pack has a great suspension system that keeps my back dry but does add some weight. It's like a miniature version of their Aether pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

climbed Belknap Crater near Sisters, OR yesterday. not a big hike but the terrain and elevation made it difficult

here's North & Middle Sister. i have to learn how to climb these one day

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I got exhausted on a hike in Glacier and threw up all over the shuttle bus, so try not to do that

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I went to Ape Caves near Mt St Helens last weekend. We took the upper route and I got out ahead of my group, and it turns out the cave wasn't that echoey so I didn't know they'd turned back. Then I walked for a mile and half underground, which included a lot of sections of randomly placed lava slabs and a slick 8-foot wall, which was a cool thing to lunge up. Overall a pretty good time, though I was an idiot to bring only my headlamp and not a good flashlight too.

Any other accessible caves I should check out within a few hours' drive of Portland?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Backpacker magazine just ran a really interesting piece on a Swedish drifter who hiked the whole Continental Divide (and a whole lot of other trails) in the early 20th century. This was like 60 years before anyone officially through-hiked the CDT. I can't find the article on their awful website, but if you get your hands on the current print issue it's quite interesting.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Can anyone recommend these running shoes? Seems like a good deal https://slickdeals.net/f/13844558-the-north-face-ultra-110-gtx-trail-running-shoes-59-83

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I probably should have mentioned I hate trail running but I like the feel and durability of trail running shoes for hikes under 10 miles.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

The other night I spent a couple hours wandering around in my neighborhood after dusk so I could play with the night photo mode on the Pixel 3a. Here's a pair of shots with and without night mode.

I mean the enhanced photo is a lot more useful than the conventional one, because the former captures a ton of extra detail about the objects around me. But neither one really replicates the visual experience of being there, compared to a well-lit photo. I'm not sure there's much that can be done about this without installing a big lens on a phone.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

At this point it's understandable that trail runners are widely recommended -- they've gotten really good and versatile -- but it's serious YMMV territory. I love my trail runners for light hiking, but if I used them for a multi-night trip over challenging terrain, my ankles would be in agony. I'm not wearing mountaineering boots or anything but I'm quite partial to my Vasque hiking boots.

also: God dammit I miss hiking! In the Portland area I can forget about weekend hikes unless I want to run into a ton of people or go for a long drive, both of which seem a bit irresponsible. Maybe I'll break down and go anyway on Sunday.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jun 4, 2020

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

On Sunday I hiked the Wildwood Trail, which is a 30-mile trail over gentle terrain in Forest Park, Portland. It took 12 hours, which is an adequate pace, with a couple stops to massage my aching feet. But no massage would stop my legs from getting super sore and stiff for the last few miles, especially given that the 3.5 liters of water I packed ran out with 5 miles to go. I think that's the first time I've hiked more than 20 miles in a day, but it wasn't really that bad, just intense near the end.

Next time I'd pack more interesting food than energy bars, plenty more water, and hiking poles for the mud and to save my legs. But it was a great time.

The whole trail looks like this. Nice day to hang out in a PNW forest.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I guess if I really wanted to pursue long-rear end walks, I probably could train up to 40 or 45 mile hikes. At my latitude you get 14-15 hours of light during the summer solstice so for anything longer I'd have to walk on a lit track. Also I'm pretty sure there's a limit to how long I can walk without sleep?

But I can always dream:

The One Day Hike (ODH) comprises two concurrent, non-competitive hikes of 100 and 50 km (62.14 and 31.07 miles) that follow the C&O Canal towpath, and end in Bolivar, WV. The 100 km event (“100K”) starts at 3 AM from the Thompson Boat Center parking lot in Georgetown, Washington, DC; the 50 km event (“50K”) starts at 10 AM from Whites Ferry in Montgomery County, MD. Both hikes proceed along the towpath, crossing the footbridge into Harpers Ferry after mile marker 60, ending at the Bolivar Community Center. Hikers have until midnight to complete either hike.

All hikers must be pre-registered, and are required to sign in at the start. During the hike, they pass through support stations manned by volunteers, where they are logged in and out, provided with food and drink and, if necessary, first aid assistance. While on the trail, they are monitored by volunteer bike patrols and volunteers can assist hikers that drop out before the end. Hikers that do finish get a 100K or 50K patch to recognize their accomplishment.

The ODH may well be the mid-Atlantic region's oldest long-distance hike, the 100K having been held since 1974, and the 50K since 2000. All but 1.5 miles of each hike takes place within the C&O Canal National Historical Park. Hikers then walk through part of the Harpers Ferry National Historical Park, before finishing at Bolivar.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Cost aside, for a trip with a lot of off-trail travel like the Sierra High Route, would a GPSMAP 66 be suitable for topographic navigation and emergency signalling? Or is it not worth combining satellite communication with maps at this point?

e: It does look like garmin.com lets you load 1:24,000 maps on to your device, which could be pretty convenient. Still a single point of failure and all, so you'd at least need backup paper maps.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 31, 2020

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

xzzy posted:

Pfft climate change is already fuckin' here. Anyone that spends time hiking has been watching it year by year. It was kinda hard to tell 15 or more years ago, but in the last 10 years it's become easy to see.

Get in your desert hiking now, ha ha! :(

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Alamoduh posted:

I don’t know how this happened but I won the lottery for the half dome cables at Yosemite for Tuesday. Do I need to do anything special to prepare or bring anything unusual? I’m super hyped. Weather looks like it will be completely clear.

Bring gloves with some grip. I used cheap gardening gloves. Some people use carabiners to clip onto the cables but it isn't required.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Why are most hiking boots waterproof these days? My Merrell boots are fine for support but my feet get really painful when they can't breathe for hours and hours, and that doesn't seem to happen when I wear trail runners with less support. I've been looking at the Keen Targhee Vent as a decent compromise.

Bottom Liner posted:

Doing Rim 2 Rim 2 Rim at the Grand Canyon next week. Any tips here from anyone that's done it? Doing a single day loop.

Is that like 45 miles in a day?

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Sep 23, 2020

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I few years ago I went backpacking at the Lost Coast and a few miles in on the first day I got exhausted with a tough scramble, lost my lunch, and couldn't stop vomiting after that. I stopped trying to eat but even small amounts of water made me throw up within a minute. I was dragging but made it to a campsite and felt great in the morning. I'm glad that I didn't need to be evacuated because of an unexpected illness, but it would have been nice if there had been something I could do about it at the time.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

A couple weekends ago I went car camping and spent the 25 degree night in a cheap Walmart tent, which got real frosty on the inside walls. (I was fine, but had to wear my heavy coat while in my down sleeping bag.) Does a rain fly help much with preventing frost?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

For hiking and backpacking in the Bay Area, Henry Coe State Park is a vast hilly area accessible from Morgan Hill and other entrances. It's mostly closed due to the pandemic but it's a nice area for backcountry camping. California state parks are charging usurious entrance and parking fees these days, but still worth the excursion.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I stay at state park campgrounds because it's cheaper than a motel if I want to go hiking several hours' drive away from home. Most of the campsites are for RVs and people like to set up there and party for days. It doesn't really bother me, but I know I'll be the odd one out by myself in a tiny backpacking tent. I also go to bed when it's dark out, but that only works if the noise from people staying up later doesn't bother you.

Last time, I car camped by the beach and walked on the beach for a couple hours before sunrise. Not a bad trip.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I've only ever used the Mini on backpacking trips and now I'm wondering what I was missing. Usually I filter 3 liters at a time with a gravity setup which takes like 10 minutes. I guess I'd rather not wait though.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

A few more:

Shikoku 88 pilgrimage
Lebanon Mountain Trail (lol)
Mont Blanc or similar luxury hike in the Alps
Annapurna Circuit
Colorado Trail with a lot of detours

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

FacePox posted:

This is near the top of saddle mountain near the Oregon coast. I think it looks very whimsical, especially with the wispy clouds. I’m surprised my phone was able to take a picture this vibrant.

That's a cool area, but I've never been there in fair weather.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Canna Happy posted:

I'm planning a timberline loop hike july 9th-11th if anyone would like to join me. I'll leave the Portland metro area after work on Thursday evening so we could carpool if interested. My gear closet is full, so I can provide something if you're missing an item or want something lighter. Please be prepared and know what you're getting into. I don't bite, but I do get pretty smelly.

I've managed to gently caress up my knee in the last year but otherwise I'd join you! Been wanting to do Timberline for years.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Hotel Kpro posted:

Fun fact, the tri-point is actually in the Yellowstone boundary, so you could say you got into Yellowstone for free

Watch out for homicidal law professors!

That does look like a good backcountry adventure. Don't grizzlies live in most of the park?

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 23, 2021

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I'm visiting Redwood National Park and maybe the attached CA state parks next month. I plan to hike into one of the established backcountry sites - any recommendations?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I belong to a Portland area climbing and hiking club, the Mazamas. Currently only people who have summited a glaciated peak can join, though a nontechnical hike is fine. This requirement is obviously dumb snob poo poo, so I was glad to see a vote on a proposal to open up membership. It got 52% support and I'm kind of surprised it didn't get the two-thirds it needed to pass. Everyone in this town loves to talk about being more inclusive but all the published statements in opposition were basically "gently caress you, get your own club".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Need some new trekking poles. For the cheap ones, is there any reason to prefer aluminum vs carbon?