Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

Any thoughts on using convertible wheeled luggage like:
http://www.amazon.com/Osprey-Conver...ASIN=B00DNTHZS0

Instead of a dedicated backpacking pack? I don't do much hiking/backpacking and I do need new luggage for airport traveling so I was thinking of combining the two into one pack. This one, at least has a daypack that will seperate off the main backpack/luggage and can be used as a hydration pack and storage for a day trip, or I could take the whole thing for a 3ish day vacation. I should also theoretically be able to use it as both a carry on and a personal item for airplanes as well since the two split apart.

Here's a review. They seem fairly positive about it, but I'm still a bit on the fence.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Carry-on-Luggage-Reviews/Osprey-Ozone-Convertible-22

Dumb idea, good idea, or something in between?

The main section seems like a really poor backpack - no waist strap and you'll have to carry around the wheels and other hardware where ever you go. You could check out another Osprey model called the Farpoint, which is carry-on compliant (in some sizes?) but is more backpack than luggage. I sometimes use a mammut backpack as my carry-on, and even though it is technically a bit too tall, I haven't been hassled about it yet. I think I have an easier time getting around the airport with the weight on my back than I would dragging a bag on rollers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

That's​ Lyme disease, not ticks. Ticks are goddamn everywhere.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

There's also a jet boil french press plunger that fits their pots (and probably others with a similar diameter).

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Speaking of REI, they're currently doing a pre-xmas sale. Are the deals on full-price gear ever particularly interesting? Looks like 30% or more on some stuff.

The store-wide 20% off is good for poo poo that almost always sells for MSRP everywhere. I just ordered a neo air xlite. Other than stuff like that, their prices are usually more than 20% above everyone else to begin with.

underage at the vape shop posted:

Do you guys have any recomendations for small tents I could take hiking? I live in Queensland Australia, so it doesn't need to be able to withstand snow, but it does need to be able to survive a tropical thunderstorm (strong wind, keeps me dry in torrential rain).

I'm looking at single-person tents myself. I think I'm going to buy a Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo because it packs down tiny and only uses one pole, which makes it easier to carry for bicycle touring/bikepacking. I've never used a non-freestanding tent before - is it going to be a lot harder to find adequate places to pitch it as compared to a more conventional tent like a Big Agnes Fly Creek?

e: Six Moon has a dealer listed for prison island.

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 11, 2017

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

If you feel like you have to have a footprint for your tent, a sheet of tyvek is pretty ultralight

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I really don't want to deal with the shits from an all bean and tvp diet in the middle of the woods and without access to some sort of Japanese future bidet

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The osprey daylite pack packs down incredibly small but doesn't have a compartment for a reservoir. The shoulder strap (and waistband) are definitely better than nylon cords.

IMO it's not worth $65 retail though, I got mine for less than half that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

didn't he have a stroller or a little red wagon or something?