Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Last week I went on a 4 day/3 night backpacking trip in the Marble Mountain Wilderness, which is in the Klamath National Forest, near the border of Oregon-California. It was quite remote since I'm used to stuff around Southern California

We saw a black bear of our own! Up on a hill about 150 ft away, he/she just stared at us for about 30 seconds then walked away

One of the campsites, about 8000ft. We had a nice view of Mt. Shasta at the top left of the pic but its hardly visible in the pic

Upper wright lake

and Lower wright lake, just a waterfall away!

Lots of different scenery like lakes and meadows and flowers and overgrown areas and hard to find trails and the like. Lots of fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Quantumfate posted:

Currently my plan is to pack the following into my backpack (which is a regular backpack, I do not have a hiking one) Four pairs of socks, spare underwear, two flannel shirts, three thin cotton undershirts, a knife, a flashlight, a first-aid kit, a lighter, a hat, sunscreen, instant oatmeal packets for breakfasts, some fruit, maybe some sandwiches for lunches(?),two liters of water, some knäckebröd, a small pot and a tupperware bowl.

Where is it that you plan on sleeping?

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Colorado goons! Can anyone recommend a good overnight backpacking route in RMNP for me, with a permit still available or walk-up permits the day of? I am going to Denver for a work week and would like to stay the weekend checking out the park.

I guess around 8 miles per day? Don't really care.. I can certainly handle longer as well. And epic majestic views are a plus, this is my first time in Colorado.

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Nifty posted:

Colorado goons! Can anyone recommend a good overnight backpacking route in RMNP for me, with a permit still available or walk-up permits the day of? I am going to Denver for a work week and would like to stay the weekend checking out the park.

I guess around 8 miles per day? Don't really care.. I can certainly handle longer as well. And epic majestic views are a plus, this is my first time in Colorado.

See above question! I got recommendations before, but due to the flooding, RMNP is basically completed closed through this week. Anyone else able to recommend a good overnight backpacking spot for this weekend that I can reasonably drive to from Denver?

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Is it just me or does no clothing brand come up when I google "Dead Bird"

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Took a 2-night trip to California's "Lost Coast" this past weekend. Up in Mendocino County, where they decided not to build the 1 highway as the terrain was far too rough for construction. Surprisingly the trail was pretty drat packed but it honestly had no affect on the experience as there were ample camp sites. Beautiful place! Hiking on sand/beach stone for half the 24-mile trail sucks though

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Business of Ferrets posted:

Hey hiking goons, due to some summer rescheduling, it looks like I'll have about a week in July free for backpacking in the Eastern Sierras. Since this came up unexpectedly, I haven't researched trails, much less planned for permits, etc., yet. Can anyone recommend decent 3-6 day trips in the Sierras? Immediately before that week I'll be in the Mammoth Lakes area, so starting from there could be an option, and I should be well acclimated by the time I would be starting.

Lots of good stuff in the Big Pine area

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Looks like an awesome hike. I'm making plans to go in September. Did you use a shuttle service to get back to the trailhead?

Yep, used http://lostcoastadventures.com/ and he was friendly and accommodating. We missed a turn on the road there, and he worked with us to still get us on the trail that day. Make sure you pay attention and read the road signs. Also just be prepared to hike on sand and/or big rocks for like half the trail. The shuttle guy can help give you tips regarding the tide for that day too