Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

For those that hike in the early mornings, what is your preferred and/or successful approach to avoid interrupting the animals?

I usually start rather early; Tuesday that meant 5am and 2hr with a headlamp. Historically I've done 30--45min like that, but a full two hours starts off dark. I don't want to interrupt the sleeping fuzzy creatures, I'm sure they don't want to be awakened, but neither do I want to stumble upon some crepuscular getting it's morning drink at the stream crossing.

So do you go with your ghetto blasters or do you slink though Moria hoping to go unnoticed?

Make noise in general. I break sticks sometimes. If you're near a stream/river I'll try and make a bit more noise since that's usually the only time you'll surprise something unless you're sneaking. Loudly singing the Pokémon song is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I'll be the dissenting voice here. This thread convinced me to give trail runners a try on a week long hike and my feet were honestly miserable. I use trail runners on some day hikes and that's fine, but carrying a heavy bag for multiple days over rough terrain was horrid. Maybe it's just my feet, or maybe I should have tried something more heavy duty than saucony peregrines.

Good leather boots will stay dry under very wet conditions for a long time, especially with gaiters. On the west coast of BC where things are very, very muddy, boots are wonderful.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I use poles and I find them most useful in very steep or muddy terrain. If it's really rocky (like all rock) they aren't as great. If it's flat you can engage your upper body more, in theory, but it's not their ideal application.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
My brother used waterproof socks on a hiking trip we went on and regretted it deeply, but...in some specific use where you're walking through a lake all day maybe they would be ok. MIght be worth trying to put a thin wool layer inside of them, though they will likely be kind of bulky already.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I'm in Canada and have come across black bears many times and usually they run away quickly, sometimes they just mosey away, and once in a while they'll just sit and watch you while they eat berries. I always carry bear spray because there is no downside. You have to win the poo poo lottery to get attacked by a bear. Make lots of noise. I like to sing or cough loudly. Breaking dry sticks on the trail is good too.

I still get psyched out when I'm by myself way out there, though. I'm more worried about cougars where I live because it has the highest concentration of cougars in the world :P

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Tacier posted:

I finally bought a backpack and I'm wondering if it fits right. There seems to be a lot of space between the pack and the middle/upper part of my back. My torso measurement is in between M and L, so I went with a M. Thoughts?

Yeah, put weight in it (if there isn't already) and it's hard to tell from the angle, but pull tight the straps under your armpits and then the ones that are on top of your shoulders.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Get more electrolytes. Take some Gatorade powder with you. I pee a ton on the trail too because I'm constantly drinking water. I usually have a 1l bottle just for Gatorade/electrolyte drink that I'm sipping depending on my exertion.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

What's the advantage of having specific hiking pants instead of durable, well broken in jeans?

You just made me cringe. Prana brions are amazing pants and basically the only pants I wear. The only downside is that they can get cold, but it's easy enough to wear an underlayer under them. They dry very quickly.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

DreadLlama posted:

I found prAna zions on amazon for $70 CAD. Are they good pants for the money? The reviews seem pretty good. I'm upgrading from jeans. They suck because when I sit on a wet atv seat my butt gets wet. Are they good pants for keeping your butt dry when you sit on wet things?

They are good pants, but if you want something you can wear any time then get prana brions. They are very nice pants that look good for daily wear. Those big pockets on the Zion are more of a liability in stretchy pants imo. I carry a knife and that's sort of it.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Hi. I'm here again to talk about beautiful, leather boots. I've had my current pair of Zamberlans for about 8-9 years now and for a good portion of that time they were my daily wear footwear. I've had them resoled once in that time (was $60 CAD). I live in BC on the coast and am used to hiking in wet weather, through streams, for multi-day hikes. Also in the snow in snow shoes. I can count on one hand the time amount of times my feet have been wet from the outside. The only time they got really wet I was hiking through thigh high wet grass for hours and I was soaked from the waist down.

I treat them semi-frequently with snoseal or other wax. They are incredibly comfortable.

Last year I decided to take some trail runners (saucony peregrines) on a two week hike. I realize it was kind of silly to just jump into them like that, but I often wore them on day hikes. After less than a week they were wearing out considerably and were much less comfortable than my hiking boots.

I do like my trail runners if it's just a day hike. Especially with steep, more technical terrain because I feel a lot more agile in them. Leather boots are wonderful, comfy tanks though and will last you decades if you treat them right.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Juche Couture posted:

Footwear: I have a pair of hiking boots (these ones: [url] https://www.thenorthface.co.uk/shop/en-gb/tnf-gb/mens-hedgehog-trek-gtx-boots-2ux1?variationId=TCP[/url]) that have always served me well; I usually in Scotland so waterproofing, ankle support and a good midpoint to jam on granite is ideal. They’re vibram soles.

However I’ve been walking in the Peak District recently - lots of limestone. Yesterday I had to scramble down a river gully and the damp limestone slabs were absolutely lethal. I ended up going barefoot to avoid unintentional swims. Does anyone have any recommendations for very grippy boots/shoes?
Great views though:

I prefer boots usually, but the tread on something like the saucony peregrine (light trail running shoe) is pretty amazing. Just Google image search to get an idea what it looks like. I honestly can't remember ever slipping in them.

If anyone has ideas for a boot tread that would be as good I'd be curious to hear about it.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

FCKGW posted:

Do you guys use the rainfly even if there's no rain? Does it help with condensation or keep heat in or anything?

I feel like the rainfly keeps some heat in. My upper half of my tent is mostly mesh, so any wind blows right through. That can be nice if it's warm, but not as nice if it's cold.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I'm in the Pacific Northwest and I forgot those footprints were even a thing. I use an REI half Dome and have never had any issues in lots of wet weather. Obviously if the ground is rocky then extra protection could be nice. Just my two cents.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I honestly love trail runners for lots of hikes. My saucony peregrines make me into a goat. It's annoying when my feet get wet just looking at a puddle, but that's the trade off.

I haven't had good luck with them backpacking. My sturdy leather zamberlains never get wet and are incredibly comfortable at all times. The trade-off is agility, traction, and I am assuming some leg soreness lifting 2lbs of boots across the mountain (honestly soreness has never been an issue for me, but I am assuming I would notice it eventually on a long backpacking trip.)

I guess I should keep trying to find a trail runner that works for me backpacking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Chard posted:

i went to shasta-trinity for the 4th and saw a black bear. small-ish and within 50m but they took off when i said HEY BEAR I SEE YOU I'M NOT making GBS threads MYSELF YOU ARE and clicked my sticks

I was recently on the north tip of Vancouver Island and a beast of a black bear was sauntering down the beach towards our camp. It got within 10-15m as me and two others yelled and made loud noises. We set off a bear banger and it just casually walked into the forest. Didn't give af.