Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

Nevermind, misread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

A Kpro posted:

Someone else decided to camp out in the wilderness of Idaho and came back with this shot

Have you got a bigger version of this?

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

-CHA posted:

Teton chat :)
I'm going to be heading out there in May. Hopefully I won't run into any issues with closed seasonal roads and can get at least a few miles of trails in without any hassle.

I'm actually heading out that way for a graduation in Idaho then winding my way through Montana, Wyoming and then Colorado. Hoping to get to visit a bunch of the state parks along the way.

Any recommendations for trails?
I know that I will be going to Lolo National Forrest, Yellowstone, Teton and Rocky Mountain National park. Might make my way to Glacier National park if I have the spare time.

Grand Teton: The Taggart and Bradley Lakes trail is a great hike. It has excellent range views and meets your distance and difficulty criteria.

http://www.nps.gov/grte/planyourvisit/upload/Taggart_Lake_topo.pdf
http://www.nps.gov/grte/planyourvisit/upload/Dayhikes10.pdf

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

Time Cowboy posted:

This is kind of a specific request, but does anyone know of a hike in southern New York / northern New Jersey / western Connecticut that features a lot of springtime wildflowers? I'm dying to see a color that isn't brown or dull green or flat gray. (Though I probably have to wait at least another month.)

Good resource for that area: http://www.nynjtc.org

Sterling Forest State Park has some nice hiking. The mountain laurels around the lakes in Harriman State Park are spectacular, but they won't bloom until late May or early June.

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

MMD3 posted:

We're heading to Jackson, WY the first week of August. Could anyone recommend some great hikes to do in/around the Tetons? I think we're looking for like 3-5 hour hikes rather than full-day outings.

Surprise and Amphitheater Lakes is a great one. It's strenuous, 3000 feet of elevation gain in a little less than 5 miles, but it's worth it.

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

Ah, teasel. Next time you see one, kill it.

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

Warbonnet has some hammocks with a 400 lb capacity (double layer 1.7 Blackbird). Never seen one in person but they seem to review very well. Won't find them on REI, though.

http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/blackbird/

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

Mr. Powers posted:

I've got one of those yellow folding CCF pads that I carry with me. In the winter hiking classes they said they're basically a must because you need to insulate any seat. I'm hoping that would work. The two layer hammocks were pretty interesting because of that, but I didn't think the blackbird had the weight capacity I needed.

Feedbacker posted:

Warbonnet has some hammocks with a 400 lb capacity (double layer 1.7 Blackbird). Never seen one in person but they seem to review very well. Won't find them on REI, though.

http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/blackbird/

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah, looks like they've got the full specs for the individual models under "warranty information" in their mobile store, for whatever reason. Probably an oversight or a limitation, as you said. Click the headers to collapse or expand info for each model.

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

Saint Fu posted:

I wish there was a slightly thicker CCF pad because I love not having to worry about punctures and being able to toss it down anywhere anytime without blowing it up.

What about the RidgeRest Solar?

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

From dimple to dimple and ridge to ridge they're both about 3/4", but the foam itself on the RidgeRest is definitely thicker (see the weight difference; RR is heavier by 5 oz in the same size).

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

bunnielab posted:

I was looking at Tilleys but I fear buying something so expensive that the wind could take so quickly. I can't stand neck straps as I am a big baby.

I think Tilley makes a version with a snap-up brim.

e: Yep.
http://www.tilley.com/us_en/men/hats/warm-weather/t3-snap-up.html
http://www.tilley.com/us_en/men/hats/warm-weather/ltm3-snap-up-airflor.html

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

cheese posted:

Its time to stop bumming a gear setup for this summer. I'm a side sleeping 6'2"/220lbs and looking for an inflatable pad. The reviews all seem to point me towards either the Neoair Xtherm or the Big Anges Q Core SL. This thread seems to love them both, so a couple of questions.
1) Is the noise of the Xtherm really an issue?
2) Is the extra weight of the Big Agnes worth the jump to 3.5 inches or will I be fine with the 2.5 of the Xtherm?

I'd like to buy one tonight with the 20% off REI members coupon, send help!

I've got the XTherm and I love it.

1) I don't find the noise to be an issue at all, but I can imagine it might be for very light sleepers. If you can check a display model out in person, I think you'll be able to make a determination on that very quickly.

2) I side sleep a lot as well and 2.5" of thickness has been plenty for me. Granted, I weigh about 50 pounds less than you, but I really doubt you'll bottom out as long as you've sufficiently inflated the pad. I think the horizontal baffling style helps with this.

At your height, you might want to go with the large, especially if you back sleep at all. The extra width is key for back sleeping.

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

Keldoclock posted:

Shop by R-value. But yes, inflatable will be heavier than foam for the same R-value. If anyone knows of an exception to that, :justpost:

This is definitely not the case for high-end inflatables. The R-values of the XTherm and Q-Core are a lot higher than those of foam pads for a very small weight difference. Price and reliability are where foam pads shine.

For example:
XTherm, regular size (inflatable): R-value 5.7, 15 oz
Z Lite Sol, regular size (foam): R-value 2.6, 14 oz

Feedbacker fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Apr 13, 2015

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

My wife wants me to find some kind of Kayak training for us to do together in the future and to get into kayaking.

Anyone know of a good resource for this kind of search? Maybe there's some guided training tours with rented equipment?

Any suggestions?

You're in the southeast, right? Nantahala Outdoor Center is supposed to be good for whitewater.
http://noc.com/lessons-training/paddling-school

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

This is a wonderful suggestion, thank you man!

You're welcome! I haven't dealt with them personally, but I've heard only good things.

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

Looking for a thin, flat, no drop, no support, no cushion shoe.

I have a pair of NB Minimus but the tread is wearing out after just a few months.

Other recommendations?

e: no toe shoes

Merrell Trail Glove 3, or Bare Access 4 for slightly more but still minimal cushion. Both are zero drop. My Bare Access Trails are a year old and both the tread and the uppers have held up very well.

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

Picnic Princess posted:

If I was looking into backpacking for 10 days in Oregon, Idaho, or Wyoming at the end of August, where would I want to go?

In Wyoming, the Wind River Range.

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

Biggus Duckus posted:

Thanks for the suggestion, I like the idea of a zippered bottom much better than a sewn. I'll probably pull the trigger on that soon, just gotta decide on a new pad. I have poor circulation but a R-value of 5+ is still probably overkill for 3-season stuff.

I use a 20 degree EE Revelation with a large Xtherm, it's a good combo. If you end up going with the Xtherm and you back-sleep at all, I would get the large size for the extra width. If you side-sleep exclusively, you should be fine with the regular (unless you're really tall, of course).

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

What's everyone's go to solution for coffee while backpacking? Instant? Tea bag things? Please help :coffeepal:

Medaglia D'oro Instant Espresso. Cheaper than Vias per serving and tastes at least as good, in my opinion. It comes in 2-ounce glass jars instead of packets though, so some repackaging may be necessary. Can be premixed with sugar and/or powdered milk to taste if desired.

Feedbacker fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Feb 25, 2017

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

Oakland Martini posted:

I am going on a road trip from Kalispell, MT to Denver, CO during the last week of August and the first week of September, and I am trying to get my itinerary settled now because my parents want to meet up with me for part of it. I plan to visit Glacier, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, and Rocky Mountain National Parks for 2 days each, and I'd like to know what the best hikes in each park are. Any suggestions on this front would be very helpful. Also, I would welcome suggestions for any other great hiking outside of the parks along this route. Thanks!

Grand Teton: Lake Solitude inside the park, Table Mountain outside the park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Washington State, arid region, Ancient Lakes, talus slope, mammal, 2-3ft long total, 1ft fuzzy tail, mostly tannish brown, with a big white ring around its belly. Seen once or twice through bad binoculars at 300ft, slowly making its way along the talus then dropping a ways toward the lake before we lost it.

Best I can come up with is a ring tailed cat (as far as size ratio is concerned, but the color is wrong) or a mini red tailed panda (haha, but it wasn't that large). I can't envision a marmot living there and this thing has a larger tail, but maybe a particular type of marmot at that.

Any ideas?

Edit:

Here's a fun link anyway: http://www.burkemuseum.org/research-and-collections/mammalogy/collections/mamwash/rodentia.php#Hoary_Marmot

It looked more like a hoary marmot than a yellow bellied, for example, but shrug.

Wolverine?