Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004
A zippo is pretty great until it gets wet from an accident. You can often get a cheap disposable lighter wet and be able to light it back up 30 minutes later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HFX
Nov 29, 2004
Looking for some recommendations on sleeping pads. I currently have a closed cell sleeping pad: http://www.rei.com/product/810386/therm-a-rest-ridgerest-solite-sleeping-pad-. It was fine on the first gear test trip (dry sandy soil). However, over the weekend, I had the unfortunate experience of sleeping on some rather hard packed clay. I ended up tossing and turning all night from sore hips, back, and shoulders. We ended up driving to Walmart for a totally impractical air mattress that we ended up having to put our sleeping pads on anyway due to the cold. This got me thinking it might be worth investing in an insulated air pad instead. Could you guys give a recommendation?

I was thinking of http://www.rei.com/product/829851/therm-a-rest-neoair-xlite-sleeping-pad or maybe http://www.rei.com/product/829850/therm-a-rest-neoair-xtherm-sleeping-pad.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Internet Explorer posted:

My wife and I have these and they are great.

http://www.rei.com/product/828412/big-agnes-insulated-q-core-pad

They are heavier than what you're looking at, but I will gladly carry an extra 12 oz for an extra 1 1/2 inches of thickness.

Hmm, extra inch and half might prove useful.

I'll have to check out the top one. I'm not so sure about the bottom one, especially since I'm a big guy even when I'm not carrying around to much holiday food. I ended up having to get an REI Radiant Wide and Tall bag so I could actually move once zipping up the tall.

Business of Ferrets posted:

I have the XTherm (the last pad you linked) and really like it. Some people complain about the noise when you move around, but I've never found it to be a problem. The ambient noise is always way louder than the pad, in my experience. Let me know if you have specific questions.

e: And in the winter, you can put it on top of that ridge rest you have for a fantastically warm setup.

We learned about how much insulation a pad makes when we bought a cheap Walmart air mattress for the second night and found it to be colder even though it was warmer outside. We ended up putting our pads on top of the air mattress which made things a lot more comfortable.

Thanks guys I'll look into these. The ones I linked is because Cabela's also has them for which I can convert some reward points into gift cards.

HFX fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 7, 2014

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

All right, that's what I figured. I have a pretty nice sleeping pad that I rarely bring because I have a fairly heavy tent and I need to cut out weight somewhere. At night I start off with as few clothes on as possible and then add layers if I need to. When I was a kid I didn't realize how cold sweats worked so I had some pretty awful nights and now I try to avoid those.

The weather wasn't too bad. We were having 50-60 degree days, and it was really only in the middle of the night that I was uncomfortable. I've dealt with it in the past by putting the end of my bag into my pack so that my feet have a little more insulation.

I bought this thing from REI so I can return it if I need to. They actually have a 20 degree version for only about $20 more. Seems like a better investment.

Which model do you have? If it is the Radiant, their web site shows it sold out (cause I was looking for one). It's really hard to find sleeping bags if you are broad shouldered. You can get one of these: http://www.rei.com/product/705534/sea-to-summit-reactor-thermolite-mummy-bag-liner. I carry one and a non insulated one since the weather in Georgia at this time of the year is bipolar.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Joe Videogames posted:

Does anybody use nordic/trekking poles?

I also do. Now that I'm older (yet in better shape), I find they often help save my knees while walking downhill. They can also be a huge help when walking on slippery surfaces such as wet clay / wet lichen covered granite. Highly recommend grabbing a pair. If you don't want to go that far, even a good walking stick is a major bonus. However, they aren't as light, can't compress up as much, or be as durable. On the other hand, they are as cheap as picking up a 5-7' length of wood which is mostly straight. Wrap the bottom in rubberized electrical tape. Take off any rough spots. Done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Ropes4u posted:

I did a thing..

Where is this?