Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
Not to mention what kind of hiking training/experience the dogs themselves have. I've seen well behaved and totally wild pet dogs on the trail. One is fine, the other is a safety hazard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
Huh? You can return packs. Anything you get at REI is returnable, unless bought at the used gear sale.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

stupid puma posted:

But that's my point?

I'd rather buy a pack at REI because if it randomly rips at a seam 3 years from now through no fault of your own you can return it or replace it no questions asked.

Ah. I read your post as you wishing you could return packs, not that it's nice you can. I tend to get all my big-ticket items at REI because of the return policy, even if other places are cheaper.

Levitate posted:

We ran into this guy chillin' in the middle of the trail last time I hiked in the Grand Canyon

That guy looks huge! How loud was he rattling at you?

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Marman1209 posted:

It's not the mud you have a worry about, it's you. Take it from someone that has handled many delaminating hard shells: wash your jackets.

Seconding this. Washing and drying your Gore and DWR jackets is part of their proper care and helps them last longer.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

PRADA SLUT posted:

How often?

I wash my Atom SV that I wear daily, weekly. But I also take it to the climbing gym and it gets chalk all over it. High use = more frequent washing.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

mastershakeman posted:

What would even be a legitimate reason after a year?

It doesn't fit and you're tired of putting up with it.

I returned a pair of shoes about month ago that I bought three years ago. I couldn't wear them for longer than an hour, and I felt bad when I thought about returning them after the first year so I kept them despite their issues. Finally I was sick of it and just returned them. Glad I did too, because I didn't hear they were going to change the policy.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Marshmallow Mayhem posted:

I'm pretty sure I've got the air out of everything but I will put everything in ziplocs vacuum sealed if I notice anything else.

Is there a magic number that leaves you able to climb at a comfortable pace but not get bogged down with food? [snip] Is it just a given you will be hungry?

...7 days including climbing Mt Whitney at the end on the final day. Hopefully warm meals can be had on the first and 7th days if all goes well.

I've got 14000 calories (at least 2000 calories per day) in a 2 gallon bag here:

Is there a reason you packed it all in one big ziplock? I tend to pack food by meal in single, smaller ziplocks. That way it's easy to know what meal you have in your hand, and you can pack your can in layers by meal/day. I also bring tortillas, so those just all go in one or two large bags around the edge of the can.

I aim for 2500 calories per day, and I'd say most of that is in small trail snacks. I lose my appetite while hiking, so bringing tasty snacks as "filler" in between forcing myself to eat meals is ideal. I see a few tasty snacks in your bag already. There isn't really a magic number, it's all based on you. In general though, I expect to lose weight on extended trips; I always bring too much food so that I can eat whatever sounds good, rather than eating meals by a schedule; I always have left over food at the end of a trip; you can trade tasty food with people on the trail.

Have you done Whitney before? What route are you taking to Whitney? Depending on your route, the summit can be a very long day, especially after taking 6 days to get there. If you can, you might want to squeeze in a night spent part way down the mountain, like outpost camp, and hike out the final few miles the next morning. Just some friendly unsolicited advice from someone who attempted it last year :)

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Sounds like you're set then. Have fun and take lots of pics!

Marshmallow Mayhem posted:

but mostly they will not even try because it's too much work.
I don't know how they could get into the BV500 because I can barely get it open without fingernails, but that's not the cheapest/heaviest model of rental bear can in my experience (this one: http://www.campmor.com/backpacker-bear-resistant-food-container.shtml?source=CI&ci_sku=14097&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw=)

I've had bears come through camp, sniff around, follow the scent to the bear cans, and then walk away because they knew better. I use those black ones as well. We bring a nickel to open them. Fits perfectly in the little slot.

I've always assumed cans are the safest way to go, so I'm really surprised that a ranger told you not to use one. Then again, I don't know how many or what other cans bears have figured out that would lead someone to mistrust using cans.

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

In preparation for my first backpacking trip, I bought these trail shoes...

Go with boots like the others are suggesting, but bring these as camp shoes. Your feet will be glad to be out of boots at the end of the day.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Speleothing posted:

The construction is just miles ahead of anyone else.

This. The thought they put behind design, fabric make up, and construction is what you're really paying for.

I wear an Atom SV pretty much daily, however once summer comes in force, I'll have to closet it for the season. Get one on sale, as others have said.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

PRADA SLUT posted:

Are there biodegradable wet wipes or do you just get regular ones and haul them out with you? I'm getting conflicting options from Amazon.

Even if it's biodegradable, please just pack out your trash. TP is too, and yet every year I find old TP stuffed under rocks or buried behind a decent tree.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
Without knowing that pack in particular my best guesses are that the pack itself is a size too small, or you're tightening the shoulder straps too much, thus lifting the whole thing upward. Some adjustment is normal, you're right, but your hip belt should stay in place.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

MMD3 posted:

as someone who's been looking at a Fly Creek 3, it looks like the minimum listed weight on tents doesn't include poles, stakes, or footprint.

What's the actual weight I'm looking at though after adding back in the poles, stakes, and footprint?

The 'fast fly' weight (which is the lowest weight on tents) is the fly, poles, and footprint. If a tent includes poles, they include the poles in all the weights. That being said, the tent, footprint, poles, fly, and stakes should be just about 4lbs as someone else mentioned. You can shave a little extra weight if you don't bring the tent bag.

Meanwhile, I'm waiting for my Fly Creek Plat 1 to come in the mail after they sent me a Fly Creek UL 1 by mistake. It won't get here in time for the trip I leave on tomorrow, but it will arrive for Yosemite at the end of August.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

TouchyMcFeely posted:

Thanks for the additional info. It sounds like the material is fairly light weight. Does it hold up well to everyday wear and tear?

Yes they hold up very well. A lot of the guys at the shop I work at have them. I have (and love) the Halle, which is the girl version of the Stretch Zion.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
Yosemite is popular and permits will sell out. The permits open up starting in December for May, so you'll need to plan quickly. I've never been in May, but expect there to be snow.

Tuolumne Meadows to the Valley floor is my favorite trip in Yosemite, and there are many paths to choose from so it can be made to be a 5 day trip. Layover days are also very worth it, so you can day hike to a near by peak or lake. My suggestion is to do part of the High Sierra Loop trail (trailhead: Rafferty Creek to Vogelsang) and branch off to follow the JMT back to the Valley Floor. If you park in the Valley, you can take a shuttle to Tuolumne (10bux iirc) and camp there the night before you hike. That way once you're done, you're back at your car.

If you need more specific help let me know. I've been there tons and can probably answer most of your questions. However, May being May and not August there will be things I don't know. Such as dealing with snow or if Tuolumne is even open in May (I know the road isn't, but that doesn't mean the camping is closed). You may want to call the ranger station and see what they say.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Internet Explorer posted:

One part I am confused about right now, is that on their map here, they say "Hikers may not backtrack from one trailhead to another trailhead on any night of their trip (either partially or fully) unless exiting at their entry trailhead to end their wilderness rip." Does that mean we cannot go from one trailhead to another, for example Happy Isles to Mono Meadow?

No. It means you can't enter at Happy Isles, hike in the required camping distance, camp a night, then exit Happy Isles, and re-enter at a nearby trailhead. People think they can get away with "entering" at their specified trailhead and then go back the next day to sneak in at a different trailhead. In actuality, they just entered two trailheads back-to-back to get around the quotas. It's cheating, essentially.

Hiking point to point is definitely allowed.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
My brother being Cpt. Morgan on Muir Pass in '11.

It's not on top of a mountain, but I am still in the mountains. I found him this way, just climbed in for the shot.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Levitate posted:

People who have applied for permits for the JMT...when the application asks for 2nd and 3rd choices, does anyone know how that works if you put down a different date? Like I'm thinking of starting August 11th...if I don't get that, starting the 12th would be fine, even starting the 13th as my third choice would be fine. Do they just put it on the top of the pile for that days reservations if your first choice isn't available or should you also throw in individual applications for those dates as well?

I'm probably overthinking this but eh

You are, but that's ok :)

Here's what happens: if your first choice is filled up: they try to give you your second choice permit (technically, an early application date if your second choice is after your first choice). If for some reason that is full already, they try your third choice. If your third choice is *also* already full, they call you to talk about your options. (I have had this happen, and it all worked out in the end).

Since you said (in a more recent post) you are aiming for Aug 12 as hike-in date, this is what you do:
After 5pm PST on Feb 24, FAX your form in. This means you will be among the first to apply ON Feb 25 (for an Aug 12 start date). I believe they randomize the ones get during the night, but those are the applications who are almost guaranteed to get their first choice. It is Not Hard to get your first choice if you do it this way.

IF you select Aug 13, 14, or 15 as your second/third options, and they can't give you your first choice, your application is treated with priority. Meaning, they do NOT set your application aside until the application date for your second choice comes around. They file it the day you submit it, so you would be the first person to apply (and get) a permit for that other day.

HOWEVER, if your second/third choices are hike in days BEFORE your first choice, you are much less likely to get your second/third choice if your first is filled already, because others have already had a chance to apply for those days. You are better off listing either a day (or two) later, or a nearby/different trail head as second/third choices.

I would actually recommend NOT applying for an Aug 11 hike in because it becomes slightly more complicated. Because Feb 24th is a Monday, you are allowed to fax in your form after 5pm PST on Feb 21. Basically, the pool can be much larger, so there is a greater risk the spots will fill faster than they would on a normal workday where the pool is only for the next day.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Saint Fu posted:

Are you sure this is how it works?

They either changed it or it was a special case thing. The more I think about it, the more I recall about the situation: I was asking for 2 spots but I only ended up getting 1 permit. It could be they only called because they wanted to know if I wanted the one spot, or if I just wanted to cancel my request. It happened last year and it's the only time I've not had a permit accepted, so I guess I assumed too much.

As to the trailhead schedule, I know other parks are good at updating theirs, but with how popular Yosemite is now, it would not surprise me in the slightest if it was very out of date.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

MMD3 posted:

I recently found a friend who can get me a pretty decent discount on dead-bird gear, the two things I've been eye-balling are a new daypack and a lightweight packable hardshell that I could use for wet-weather hikes in the pacific northwest as well as for snow-boarding. It's less critical that it serves the purpose for snowboarding as I have a Mountain Hardwear shell that is heavier duty with a waist gaiter and all that jazz but the hood won't fit over my helmet which is kind of frustrating.

Can anyone give me any recommendations on which arc'teryx shells I should be looking for?

You probably want to look at the Traverse line, which is meant for hiking/backpacking. Any GoreTex jacket will work for snowboarding, but like with your Mountain Hardwear jacket, some features might fall short of what you'd want if you had a jacket solely for snowboarding. The traverse jackets will be lightweight and packable, whereas snowboarding jackets are not.

Let me know if you want more help. I love me some dead birds as well :)

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

HarryPurvis posted:

For any hiking goons in the Southern California area, local outdoors store Adventure 16 is currently running a 3-Peak Challenge. Register at a store to get started and then climb Mt. San Antonio, Mt San Jacinto, and Mt San Gorgonio. Prizes are offered for completing in time frames of 3 months, 3 weeks, 3 days, or for the insane hikers 1 day. Its a good incentive to get out and hike and explore some of SoCal's local mountains.

Just did the challenge myself over the holiday weekend. Very doable in three days for anyone that hikes regularly. Can probably done easily in two days if you camp out on any of the mountains. Attempting to finish in one day should only be attempted if you know the trails and are in very good physical condition.

I was doing this for the 3 week version. Had to turn around ~1000' elevation from the peak of San Gorgonio because a lighting/rain/hail storm started. I turned in my card regardless, so we'll see if they accept it. If not, I might try the 3 day one instead. It was fun for sure, I'd never been to any of these areas before.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

meefistopheles posted:

Hey folks, I was wondering if anyone has particular recommendations on first aid kits. Do most people use a prepackaged kit, or make up their own versions? It seems like the majority of cheap kits lack at least a clotting agent, and I would like to make sure there aren't any other must-haves that I am missing out on. Most of my use is weekend hikes, with the occasional four-day to week-long hike.

I make my own kit, and it does not contain any clotting agent because I've never needed it. Bleeding can be stopped in many ways, so I never felt it was a must-have for my kit. That being said, black pepper works as a clotting agent for small or medium sized wounds. Depending on how you prepare meals on the trail, you might already have pepper in your bag.

If you really want a premade kit, look at Adventure Medical Kits. They have many kits of different sizes, and they also sell "refill" items so if a kit is missing something you want you can add it onto your order.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

DholmbladRU posted:

I was thinking about the big agnes UL tents. But after reading some reviews I am not sure. I like to have a durable product that will last. I used the same arcteryx pack for ~10 years.

Does anyone have recommendations for shelters which are lightweight but still reasonably durable.

What Big Agnes tent were you looking at? I have a Fly Creek Platinum 1 tent and it's held up fine (though it is only a year old at this point). The material is really thin, but I don't foresee any issues with it as long as I keep treating it properly. How rough are you on your tents? I've never really understood the issues people have had with Big Agnes.

I do also have an old Hubba Hubba 2 tent (which someone else brought up earlier), but it's not what I would call UL. The new 2014 model is way lighter though, so it may be worth a look.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Telesphorus posted:

Any of you folks ever drive down Highway 395 in eastern California?

It's my favorite road. I once drove north and kept going, into Oregon, just to see where it went.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Colt Cannon posted:

I have also noticed, people seem to dislike Patagonia(I keep seeing it being called Pradagonia), is there a reason for that, other than price? I always have liked them. Then again, the people I see disliking them are the type of people that only buy ONE brand of gear.

I've heard it called Patagucci. The hate I've seen comes from people who simply don't like Patagonia, and disdain those who seem to only buy Patagoina. Kind of the opposite of your experience, which is funny.

I see nothing wrong with them at all. They make some cool stuff.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Levitate posted:

Heading down the east side from Trail Crest involve a ridiculous number of switchbacks...I didn't count them but people at least call it the "99 switchbacks"

I have counted, and there are indeed 99 of them. This was the first time that I've seen a trail had a posted number of stairs/switchbacks that was correct. Don't ask me why I count stairs/switchbacks, I've been doing it since I was a kid.

Great photos! Looks like you all had a blast.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
I have a Micra, and I've used the scissors, nail file/cleaner, and tweezers on the trail before. I'm thinking about dropping it though, as I end up not using it on some trips.

I agree with turevidar, rock = hammer.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
This was food for 4 people for a 7 day/6 night hike. This was from a number of years ago. I've since switched from salami and cheese to tuna for lunches. Longest hike I've done was 8 days/7 nights, but my folks did the JMT in '08 in a leisurely 25 days.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

Planning out food for hiking when your stoned is probably not a good strategy though, :350:

I don't know... I invented the best trail mix ever planning for a hike while stoned. Pretzel, peanut butter, and peanut M&Ms all in a bag with some dried fruit and cashews. Same poo poo that's in normal trail mix, but with more chocolate!

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Levitate posted:

To be honest that's the way to do it. So many people on the trail are like "yeah I'm doing it in 10 days!" and always asking how long you're taking like it's a race to do it the fastest. Meanwhile I'm thinking "this is awesome I don't want to go back to normal life, being out here is the best thing I've done in years"

Indeed. Their initial plan was 28 days. 3 days hiking, 1 lay-over day. Repeat. Toward the end they were getting real tired of the food and wanted a shower, so they hiked out a bit early.

VendaGoat posted:

You're right everyone is different. For me, as long as I am mobile, I don't feel hungry at all, which has caused some issues. The moment I take a rest/piss break/water refill, it feels like my stomach has turned into a black hole, hell bent on crushing me from the inside out.

I'm the same way. I can't use a pack that doesn't have hip pockets anymore. If food is in my hands/within grasp, I'll eat it while hiking. Otherwise, I kind of forget to eat, and just keep walking.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

African AIDS cum posted:

That's why they built solar toilets on Mt Whitney, then later some Rangers imo stupidly burnt them down, now there is poo poo everywhere again or people carting their poo poo with them in a plastic bag. Progress? Not in my book.

They were not burnt down, they were removed because it became too much of a cost issue to fly the waste off the peak.

There are plenty of reasons for all of the regulations in parks. The danger if you get a PCT permit and hike the JMT instead is that if you get caught on the wrong trail, you will be fined heavily.

bunnielab posted:

What's LNT?

Maybe it's just do to the small lovely parks around here, but by tracking footprints in mud/snow, I have noticed that I am often the only person to visit a particular park in a given week. I have often though of weird schemes to hide beers along trails and I am pretty sure with even the slightest bit of subterfuge, no one will find my booze.

Leave No Trace.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Saint Fu posted:

Were these photos from before the permit system was implemented?

Yes. I did it in '05 before the permit system went in, and it looked just like that from about 11am to 4pm. Plus there was the giant piles of discarded gloves at the base of the cables. They make sure you pack out your gloves now, so there's generally only a few strays up there anymore.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Noah posted:

I'm going to Zion for 5 days tomorrow. I'm so excited! Pictures on Thursday.

Sweet, have fun! I was just there 2 weeks ago for the half marathon, and saw my first big horned sheep.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Levitate posted:

And it turns out that people are either terrible at hanging a bear bag, or bears in those locations are too clever for bear bags anymore (or both). These are also areas with primarily black bears which seem to be better at foiling hanging bags since they're smaller and can climb better (or maybe I"m wrong on that)

Nope, you are 100% correct. Bears in Yosemite can climb up to, and get a hung food bag. Even a well-hung one can be retrieved by a determined bear, which is why hanging food is banned in those areas. It didn't use to be, but the bears get smarter and rules have to be adjusted for that.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Hungryjack posted:

Hence, I'm paying a premium at REI (or elsewhere) for a tent that weighs less, packs down smaller, and, until a couple years ago, had a lifetime warranty.

If there's another merchant who offers a lifetime warranty on what they sell, I'm looking for them and I'll buy from them instead.

REI is first and foremost a retailer. Unless the $550 tent you bought was an REI branded tent, you can (and should) go through the return/exchange process at/with the manufacturer of your tent.

The Gear Coop offers a lifetime warranty on all items.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Hungryjack posted:

My buddy and i are starting to prep for our High Sierra Trail hike this summer. We're looking to pick up a map and Mt. Whitney High CountryTrail Map (Tom Harrison Maps) was recommended. Does anyone have any opinion on his maps or a suggestion for a better alternative?

Those maps are awesome. I have tons. And they're printed on water and tear resistant "paper" so they're really durable.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

A Horse Named Mandy posted:

Does anybody have any recommendations for Tuolumne Meadows? Despite visiting Yosemite a dozen times, I've never explored that section. I mostly prefer backpacking routes, but basecamping and dayhikes are also possible. Oh, and I'm too poor for the High Sierra Camps.

Every High Sierra Camp has backpacker areas where you can set your tent up for free. You get a backpacker-use pit toilet, and access to the main 'lodge' of the HSC, and water spigots. If you want food, you have to pay. But Tuolumne is awesome, and everything is basically downhill from there. Unless you go to Glen Aulin and back, then the out portion is all uphill. My favorite hike is Tuolumne to the valley floor. There are a bunch of different ways you can go depending on which trail head you use, and how many miles you want in a day. It usually opens in April or May, but with all the rain this year, it may be closed longer.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

cheese posted:

When you forget that Yosemite reservations are last week and not next week, and then literally everything is gone for the first few months of the season.

:negative:

Ok I think I got confused because the season for most of the sites is now July 14th? When do reservations for August open up?

Depends if you mean backcountry permits, or Valley Floor campgrounds, as the dates for each differ. See below:

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/wildpermitdates.htm
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/camping.htm

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Verman posted:

...but I feel like it needs constant reapplication.

All DWR needs a constant reapplication (once it's worn off). It's a coating, that is literally how it works. Washing your item more often can make the coating last longer, but if it's been 2 years and you're just now reapplying, I'd say you've done a good job on that front. I coat my jacket once or twice a year because I wear it so often. I use Nikwax, and be aware there are all kinds now. The spray is better than the wash-in because the wash in type will coat every surface of the jacket, not just the parts you need repellency on.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

theroachman posted:

I guess it's planned obsolescence.

No, it's not. The coating is DWR and is just that - a coating on the face of the fabric. It wears off over time. It has nothing to do with planned obsolescence. A coating cannot last forever. Even the old school canvas and wax jackets had to be re-waxed every so often.

n8r posted:

Per Gore's directions you don't need anything fancy like tech wash: http://www.gore-tex.com/en-us/support/washing-instructions

I find that my goretex and other laminate clothes degrade in performance not because of the DWR wearing out, but because the laminate is basically dirty. My vague understanding is that oils/dirt/etc clog the pours and you end up getting wet from the lack of breathability. DWR seems to just be something that is put on to make people think "drat this thing repels water!".

You are correct that you don't need fancy tech wash, but you do still need to reapply the DWR when it wears off. "When the factory applied treatment can no longer be reactivated, apply a new water-repellent treatment (available at local outdoor retailers) to the garment’s outer fabric."

You are half correct. When the face fabric gets dirty, the gore material does not work properly. When the face fabric wets out (due to lack of DWR), the gore also does not work properly. Both washing your item and reapplying the DWR as needed will increase the life span of the garment. DWR helps the gore material to work, it's not just a "drat this thing repels water!" thing until you start coating fleeces and t-shirts.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

n8r posted:

I do not find this to be the case. I agree that the garment will 'wet out', but it does not effect actual waterproof-ness.

No, but it can affect breathability.

mastershakeman posted:

Hm, so washing with a delicate garment bag should be done no matter what then? That's pretty interesting.

Follow the care instructions that is listed on the manufacturer or Gore site. Personally, I wash my Gore items without a garment bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Time Cowboy posted:

I haven't been to Yosemite in eleven years, so what's this about a $150 tram? When I was there, you just parked anywhere and hopped on the bus whenever you liked to get anywhere in the Valley, no extra charge.

Possibly the valley floor tour. But it's not that expensive so I've no idea what he's talking about. The transit bus system is free, unless you go to Toulumne on the hiker bus, which was $10 last time I was there.

That article is awesome. Obviously those people have no idea how to plan a trip properly, and paid for it with bad visits.