Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

joeshmoetogo posted:

Permethrin! On eeeeverything.

Just be careful on exposure to cats and aquatic life as it will kill them dead. I have been doing a lot of outdoor work for my job lately, and I have just been using deet, wearing a breathable long sleeve shirt, and doing through tick checks at the end of the day. No embeds after a month of work, but I did have 3 big buggers fall on the back of my head and make it into my hair, where I found them before I went to bed. You will feel crawling sensations forever after that. I made sure to cut my hair after that to make tick checks easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Good Dog posted:

Any advice/tips for hiking the Zion narrows? I've read Joe's guide to zion but would love some more first hand experience. My girlfriend and I are looking to go next week.

Just looking to go for a day hike, we'll be wearing our usual hiking shoes (New Balance minimus, non-goretex) each with a 2L camelbak (and extra carby water bottles each) and I'll probably be carrying a dry-pack with anything important in there. We've never used trekking poles or anything but read that they are nice to have at least one, any recommendations on something that would work well without being too pricey since we probably won't get much use out of them. I'm 6'5 and she's 5'4.

Help me not forget anything obvious as this is likely the biggest and most unique hike we've done, normally doing Blackstar Canyon or out near Laguna in Orange County.

Depending on how far you get into it, you will want some sort of walking stick for stability in the water. You probably won't have any depth problems, but your shorter girlfriend may want to watch out for the deeper sections. Also wear water shoes or keep a dry pair of shoes for afterward unless you want to spend the rest of your time in soggy sneakers.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Does anyone happen to have any recommendations for lightweight fishing gear for backpacking? I am not an experienced fishermen by any means, but I have often looked at bodies of water while camping and been like "you know, fishing right now would be pretty cool". Any good guides to get someone started?

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

beefnoodle posted:

Fly or spin casting?

I was thinking spin casting as I don't know how to fly fish.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

What size is your Gregory Baltoro 65? I may want to take it off your hands if its in ok condition.