Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
Now that my hellish December is at a close I can start hiking again and plan for a thru. I only got out for any serious trips twice through the fall. Look forward to diving back into it, but I've never hiked in crazy extreme cold before. I'm reluctant to hike solo in the snow as it seems potentially foolish and an easy way to get lost or injured if you cannot see the trail. Stories from those with experience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Woot! Just arranged my Atlanta pick up ride to take me to Amicola in a few weeks. She's even gonna hike up to Springer with me and let me spend a night so I don't have to start right after a 12 hour bus ride! Tons to do before I take off, but since this is the first official arrangement I've made, the clock is now ticking and I can get prepping!

My hammock screen top tore last summer when I flipped in it. Not sure if I can get the company to repair it before I take off or to just use one without a screen. People who are early on the trail tend to get the worst of Maine's Black Fly season, don't they?

How many SA posters will be out there this year?

Elijya fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 11, 2013

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Started at Amicola last week. Resting out some rain in Neel's Gap as I type. This past week has been an incredible time and has made me more confident about getting to Katahdin.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Got a blog or trailjournal?
Just the one I'm keeping in pen! I have a few photos on facebook though
https://m.facebook.com/elijya?id=511670032&_rdr#!/elijya?v=photos&cps&album=a.10150256644135033.364507.511670032&__user=511670032

Elijya fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 20, 2013

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Checking in from the end of Traildays. Aside from the accident (which was pretty overblown) and a bunch of other negatives, I still had an amazing time. Got to meet Akion back at Uncle Johnny's in Erwin and we caught up the other day. The journey has definitely been more about the smiles than the miles for me, and I'm amazed at how many friends I've earned out here. Working on pictures.

Elijya fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 20, 2013

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Time Cowboy posted:

My friend and I are looking to do a couple day hikes in eastern Pennsylvania or Maryland this weekend, weather permitting. We already picked out the Pinnacle for one day, but I can't seem to find anything else in my guidebooks that sounds like a must-see.

I'm hoping someone can recommend a good hike between 4 and 10 miles long, ideally without too much elevation gain (no more than, say, 1200 feet total), with something really interesting along the way, like a great viewpoint or a unique geological feature or something like that. Oh, and it should be no more than three hours away from Trenton by car.

Right now the only options that seem feasible are Ricketts Glen and Pole Steeple (at Pine Grove Furnace). If anyone recommends against either of those, that's good to know too. Thanks!

Approach the Pinnacle going northbound on the AT from the Hamburg Reservoir. You'll pass a shelter near the reservoir if you want to check in, then do one big climb and arrive at the astronomical park and pulpit rock, then it's a flat (well, rocky flat) 2 miles to the pinnacle. You'll then have three return path options depending on how much more you want to do. http://www.harpweb.com/thepinnacle/maps/weisermap.jpg
There's also a firetower nearby, but I can't promise it'll be accessible. It is possible to drive up to it, though.

Hawk Mountain Sanctuary is right around the corner and you can park right at the top and walk 100 yards to the south lookout, and an easy walk to 4 others. The best is the North Lookout though. Since the Lookout Trail is ridiculously easy, duck down the River of Rocks trail (there's a short or long loop) and arrive there via the skyline. There's one small almost vertical climb that's a lot of fun and you'll actually earn the view.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_roYLpQK7K3M/TJ4Ev1H2KyI/AAAAAAAABG0/-iEHkuECHfk/s1600/Hawk+Mtn+map+trail.jpg

Ricketts has been on my list for awhile, but having been to other glens, I'd highly recommend it.

The other great view between Trenton and Hamburg is Bake Oven Knob, which you can see from the Pinnacle. You can drive up to it, which unfortunately means it tends to be covered with garbage and graffiti from locals, but the view is excellent.

Good luck! I hope the weather is beautiful for you.

stupid puma posted:

Anybody here use permethrin? I never have, but most of my trips are usually at the beginning or end of the summer so I don't really have to worry about ticks and mosquitos too much. But this year I'm taking a BWCA trip in late June and I'm thinking about just treating the cuffs and collars of my clothes primarily to protect against deer ticks. Thoughts?

I just retreated my clothes today. I got a pretreated bandana a few years ago and immediately noticed it's effectiveness. Permethrin is the only thing I know of that works against gnats. You can also treat your pack and shoes with it. It creates an "aura" effect and the more items you have treated, the more effective it is. Lay your gear out on the ground, treat them with a spray bottle, wait a couple hours and you're good to go. Don't let cats anywhere near it when you're treating as it's very deadly to them!

Elijya fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 23, 2013

Elijya
May 11, 2005

PRADA SLUT posted:

I mean a system to prevent forgetting things in your other pack because you're taking a different one out than last time. Clean out your pack of "transferrable" items after going out and throw it all in a stuff sack?

Stuff sacks are opaque and expensive, Zip lock bags are extremely useful for organizing your small items. Rather than digging through a pocket looking for something, just pull out the ziplock you know it's in (I use 3-5 in my pack, plus a few others in a bounce box for back ups and things I would never carry) and you should be able to see it and go right for it.

How you organize is totally personal and will constantly be evolving. Personally, my knife is always clipped in my pocket, I never use a compass (but I'm on the AT. I have a TINY one in my emergency bag) and a Bic is far more useful than matches. Get a mini if you're trying to cut grams.

One of the best pieces of gear I have is a mini survival kit that comes with the smallest versions of a lot of the misc. gear you're probably struggling with. It's Eddie Bauer (not a brand I usually go for) but it's a 1 liter dry bag with a transparent window and about 30 small pieces of equipment (a few additions/subtractions since I got it). As an emergency bag, I almost never go into it, but I wouldn't go anywhere without it.

Elijya fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 23, 2013

Elijya
May 11, 2005

krispykremessuck posted:

Wear the boots. If you're camping, might be worth it to bring the trail shoes along as camp shoes.

Sounds a bit heavy. Save a pound and get minimalist flip flops or foam rubber sandals or clogs.

AT is awesome. Just did Dragon's Tooth and my first 20 over McAfee's, am in Daleville. Spent the day in a rental car to take a 3 hour drive to the closest REI to return someone's pack and get new boots.

Elijya fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jun 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Am in the middle of something resembling an AT thru hike, been having the time of my life. I'm home on a break now but will be leaving to jump back on Wednesday. Last time I dropped in someone asked for pictures, so here's some highlights from the first 200 miles http://imgur.com/a/oP97s