Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I bring some antihistamines along with my first aid. I have allergies sometimes and don't always sleep well, so it's better than lying awake in the early morning with a stuffy nose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Anyone have some advice for taking a dog backpacking? I can take care of myself and my girlfriend just fine but I've never taken a dog out before.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Speaking of sleeping bags, what should I be looking for if I'm dealing with 30 degree nights? I just bought a Marmot Cloudbreak 30, took it out for a couple of nights, and I still found myself pretty drat cold at night. Meanwhile my girlfriend had a cheap $30 0-degree bag and was just fine. I know it has a lower temperature rating, but am I missing something else here?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

All right, that's what I figured. I have a pretty nice sleeping pad that I rarely bring because I have a fairly heavy tent and I need to cut out weight somewhere. At night I start off with as few clothes on as possible and then add layers if I need to. When I was a kid I didn't realize how cold sweats worked so I had some pretty awful nights and now I try to avoid those.

The weather wasn't too bad. We were having 50-60 degree days, and it was really only in the middle of the night that I was uncomfortable. I've dealt with it in the past by putting the end of my bag into my pack so that my feet have a little more insulation.

I bought this thing from REI so I can return it if I need to. They actually have a 20 degree version for only about $20 more. Seems like a better investment.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'm in Georgia and yes the weather is bipolar.

It's the Cloudbreak that I'm looking at: http://marmot.com/products/details/cloudbreak-20

I have the 30, want to return it and get the 20 maybe. It's only $30 more. Or I could get a liner like you guys are saying. I dunno.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You could always just cover up with a thin layer of clothes. Bandanas or hats are nice if you're just worried about your face.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'd be more concerned about other people than animals really. And you can be pretty far from law enforcement so you can't really depend on anyone to help you.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It's 4-5 lbs.

http://marmot.com/products/details/traillight-2p

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Wow, y'all are making my stove situation look sad. I just have some little knock-off thing that screws onto a 100g gas can. I have a tin pot that goes on top. No handles though. I stick a spoon into a loop on top and can kinda lift it off without burning myself.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Alan_Shore posted:

I get what you're saying, but sadly this is the way it has to be. I decided on hammocks after reading a few books by people who had used them or switched to them on the AT, and their incredibly positive experiences swayed me. Because I don't live in America/job/life this is the only way I can do this. It's definitely not ideal, but I'll be as prepared as I can be. I'm planning on finishing my first day early so I can really take my time setting it all up.

Right now I'm watching Tom Hennessy set up his hammock AGAIN for like the 12th time. I've done so many hours of research I should be OK, plus I've done a lot of camping and backpacking before. And like you say, there's plenty of stores and help available on the trail in a worst case scenario. I'll let you know how it goes when I'm out there.

Have you read this thread?: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714480

Please read it.

You're obviously smarter than that guy, but there's a reason people keep acting concerned.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I always use a combo of physical Nat Geo maps and openstreemap.org. Sometimes I'll check atlantatrails.com and georgiatrails.com. You might have a state-specific site like those two.

OpenStreetMap is nice because users can edit it themselves and pay attention to specifics like trails.

The Nat Geo maps are good because I can actually bring them with me.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I have some great new Salomons, but my heel slips in them. I'm gonna try some different socks this week before I go on a backpacking trip next weekend, but do you think heel lifts would help? I've never tried them.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Proposed to my girlfriend while out camping for New Years. We were totally alone because it was cold as hell, which was perfect. The forecast for the town below was rain, but we were on a mountain peak, so we got snow instead. Y'all, I really love the outdoors (and my new fiancee).

Picnic Princess posted:

Layers help you prevent hypothermia because it helps you avoid sweating during winter activities. You really don't want to sweat in the cold outdoors.

Layering is so important, and it makes so much sense once you've gone from "so cold my whole body is numb" to "hot as gently caress, and I have to get out of these clothes now" in the span of a few minutes. I was cycling through 6 layers this weekend.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

None of the local wildlife here (GA) is that dangerous to a person. I do worry about my dog getting into a scuffle with coyotes or hogs, but I don't think a gun would solve that.

If I carried a gun it would be for other people, but I'd probably never actually need it. It's a comfort thing.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

a foolish pianist posted:

It's really long odds of course, but my friend got murdered on a hike on Blood Mountain, up near Helen, about 8 years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Meredith_Emerson

Ah man, I'm sorry. :( I distinctly remember when that happened, and it still crosses my mind from time to time. I just try to remind myself that things like that are as rare as they are tragic.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Hungryjack posted:

What's the accepted etiquette on caching supplies during a hike? A guy I know was hitting a bunch of high points and he would cache stuff on his way up so he wouldn't have to carry as much. He said it was no big deal because he packed out everything he packed in, but it still doesn't sit well with me.

I don't see a problem with this unless it's visible or he forgets it...what do you not like about it?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Y'all are talking about different kinds of trails anyway. Trail runners aren't on 45 degree slopes.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

My dog never gets bored outside. It doesn't matter where we are. I envy her really.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Caffeine pills. Usually I'm with someone who brings coffee, but if it's up to me I just don't think it's worth the effort. I'll usually still have hot oatmeal, so I'm not missing out on my morning warm thing.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Pretty bummed I'm gonna miss the garage sale. I have to buy a bunch of stuff at REI in a few weeks anyway...

FWIW I had a good experience at the one in Atlanta last year. It wasn't that hectic.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I don't really understand the point of hand sanitizer in general. I think I would only use it if I worked in a hospital or a daycare.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Alan_Shore posted:

Christ that does sound like a nightmare :(

I've done SO much research on hammocks these last few months, and it seems to me that they're amazing and more comfortable than a tent IF you spend a lot of money AND do tons of research. There was no way I was using a pad, I don't want that slipping and sliding around for 4 months, so UQ it is (bye bye $200). Sleeping bag? Nah that's uncomfortable! You need a quilt (bye bye $270 oh god).

And then there's the sheer amount of choice in stringing the thing up. I mean in theory it's all so easy: just a 30 degree angle at chair height. But between lashes/hitches/straps/carabiners/spikes/clips it's enough to drive anyone insane. And that's not even getting into changing the webbing/suspension for different materials, which can create a whole host of positives and problems.

I thought I had it all figured out with Atlas straps even though it adds another 300g and a big selling point of all this was to be lighter than a tent, but now I'm thinking of just trying the Becket hitch. Well, until I change my mind again in a few days.

Are you planning on updating this thread at all once you start your hike? I've been noticing your prep posts for a while now, and it would be really cool to see occasional updates rather than 6 months of silence.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Why are you walking through tall grass when you know you're gonna get covered in deer ticks? I've stayed the hell away from those spots ever since I had a brush with those things.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Levitate posted:

My experience has generally been dogs can be tough to get interested in food while they're out and about (unless it's your food then it's all they're interested in).

I've had the same experience, so I just pack extra of my food and give some to her.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I've been meaning to buy some of those anyway. Thanks for the heads up.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Around here (North GA) everyone has the same exact picture of Raven Cliff Falls, Panther Creek Falls, the Blood Mountain overlook... There are still plenty of great things to take photos of though (macros, fall foliage, spring wildflowers, sunsets/sunrises, wildlife, stuff off the trail, etc.).

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

nate fisher posted:

Ha! Say that to a person who just climbed 3,500 feet and killed their knees going back down in the same day. That's a hike.

Side note. I just found out a good friend (who hasn't ever hiked really) is planning to pay $300 for a basic backpacking class. I am currently typing a text to tell her to let me take her on a short hiking trip (sorry Bogan King, but it will be a short day hike) first (you know she may hate it). From there if she likes it spend the $300 on gear instead. My wife and I can show her the basics. We live near the Smokies, not some truly remote wilderness, so I don't understand what you are learning for $300? Most of the stuff they teach sounds like common sense (leave no trace). My only weakness is first aid, and that is a shame since I had many first aid classes in the Marines. Am I missing something here by telling her not to take the class?

I'm not familiar with those particular classes, but they probably spend way too much time on LNT. I dropped a hiking class in college because it turned out that was essentially the only content in the entire course. I just wanted to get credit for hiking, but we weren't even going to go outside all semester. Now if they're going to do stuff like basic knots, how to handle emergency situations (first aid, what to do when lost, how to find water), how to read maps, etc. then that might be more worth the money, but that's still stuff that you can learn on your own.

I like your idea better.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Are those cra(e)pe myrtles?

They have the most beautiful bark and I have no idea why we butcher them as landscape plants.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I have a $100 REI gift card from signing up for their credit card. Good time to use it I guess.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

MustardFacial posted:

Please explain

just spitballing here, but climate change is coming, and coffee is already an unsustainable, exploitative industry in its current form.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

xzzy posted:

Pfft climate change is already fuckin' here. Anyone that spends time hiking has been watching it year by year. It was kinda hard to tell 15 or more years ago, but in the last 10 years it's become easy to see.

Yeah I've made a tradition of eating Christmas dinner outside because it's never cold anymore. But it's getting worse!!

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Oh, bears. That's a realistic fear. I was thinking of the times my flashlight caught a barn spider web directly in front of my face right before I walked into it.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Just always tell someone exactly where you're going and when you plan to be back. I'd be more worried about rolling my ankle than snakes tbh, just because it's one of those stupid things that happens sometimes.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Any recommendations for underrated spots in the Southeast? I want to do some 2/3-night backpacking trips this fall and would like to get outside of my usual routine in the north georgia mountains. I mention "underrated" just because I want to get away from people and assume I could find the highly rated ones on AllTrails or Google.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

This is not hiking obviously, but what are some cabin rental options outside of airbnb and state parks? VRBO? I want to book at least a couple of cabins (or yurts, etc.) this fall for weekends that I want to be out regardless of the weather. Again, trying to avoid places with people.

thatguy posted:

The foothills trail in Northern SC going into GA. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foothills_Trail
We built a reroute of the Bartram Trail for I'm not sure which ranger district for Nantahala NF in 2012 or 2015 or something so I'm always partial to that
http://ncbartramtrail.org/. https://smokymountainnews.com/archi...ce-hiking-trail

That was the reroute we did, I think we did 3.5 miles and had limited corridor flexibility but last time I was on there the 200 whatever stone steps we put in at hickory knoll rd were still in good shape and the trail still looked good.

Love that area. I've been on a good portion of the Bartram Trail on the GA side of the Chattooga but haven't seen as much of the SC side. I'll look into the Foothill Trail.

Fitzy Fitz fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 4, 2020

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Yeah, I'd like to get a scope to bring for bird watching. My binoculars are too heavy. Last backpacking trip I woke up surrounded by red-eyed vireos and wished I could see them better.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

That is stunning

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Waterproof boots are great when you've got to be in the mud, like when I was doing trail work. If I'm hiking though I'd rather just walk around the mud. I never understood why people just tromp right though those mud puddles that are easily avoided, unless they're just trying to get their money's worth.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Time Cowboy posted:

Walking through the middle is what you’re supposed to do. Braiding the trail by going around just creates an even bigger mud pile and a worse eyesore, not to mention damaging the vegetation and expanding the human impact in general. This is basic Leave No Trace stuff.

Yes, this is good to mention. Pretend I also said this in my post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

That's beautiful