Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Hiked to Lake Cora in the Mt. Rainer WA area yesterday and took one my best photos ever:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

FAUXTON posted:

liking how the smoke gives it an almost pastel dreamy quality, great work

Yes. Sadly true.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

George H.W. oval office posted:

That’s a realized Bob Ross painting if I’ve ever seen one

Using a bit of the PANO mode for a cinematic effect, shooting away from the shore and having the trees as borders worked.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Sous Videodrome posted:

Went backpacking last week. Absolutely breathtaking views of Mt. Baker!

This snow lake was about as cold as you'd expect

The pink snow is from some sort of algae

Watch-out for that pink snow, don't go where the algae grows.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Doom Rooster posted:

Alrighty, first real winter hike under our belt, and my wife and I learned a lot of lessons.

It was 12f at Bear Lake in Rocky Mountain. Coming from Texas, we were worried about the temp, but with the gear we got we were mostly fine. Just a few gear questions for you goons.

1) Definitely need some snow shoes. After about a mile, we started post holing up to nearly our knees and turned back. Any recommendations on mid-priced snow shoes?

2) Even with the thick Smart Wool socks and good boots, both of us had pretty cold toes. Is there a warmer option we should be considering? Is double-socking a thing? Is this a problem that will be solved by snow shoes keeping the boots out of deep snow?

3) I had a neck gater that kept my face warm enough, except as soon as I would breathe in it, my sunglasses would become completely fogged up, to the point I couldn't see at all. Is there a good no fog sunglass/goggle option, or a better design of face warmer? I just ended up not using it for 2 hours and it was okay-ish, but my beard was completely iced over and starting to feel unpleasant.

4) In completely obvious news, the hose to our CamelBak froze almost immediately. Is there a ONE WEIRD TRICK to keep it usable at that temp, or should we just expect to need to use bottles in our backpack while it's below freezing?

It was absolutely gorgeous though, and a total blast that we can't wait to repeat. Thanks for any advice!

Vodka doesn't freeze.

(OK, see if you can get the CamelBak closer to your body heat and under your outer layers)

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

RodShaft posted:

drat, I was really hoping it would be nicer since it was up in the mountains.

I worked for a bike tour in Virginia during college and rode 8x across the state which included the Blue Ridge Parkway,

Yes, really hot and humid. I used to stop at local stores and down a quart of OJ during the ride.

The good thing? It left me with an adaption to heat and humidity that lasts even now (decades later). Also dropped a lot of weight which I stupidly gained back (and more) in graduate school (eventually lost it).

Which enabled me to bike from the office to the train station one fine day in Los Angeles without much of a fuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

waffle enthusiast posted:

Moose.

Terrifying creatures and they’re everywhere now.

A møøse once bit my sister.