Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I am looking for a boonie hat or similar that has some method of holding up the sides of the brim. I have one that I have had for like 20 years but it is finally too worn to wash and too stinky to wear for non-fishing occasions. I have a second cheap one, TrueSpec or something like that, but it is heavy and hot and I hate it. Anyone have a hat like this they love?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

beefnoodle posted:

Tilley hat? Pricey but good stuff.

I was looking at Tilleys but I fear buying something so expensive that the wind could take so quickly. I can't stand neck straps as I am a big baby.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

beefnoodle posted:

Yes. Completely crushable. Bonus: if your drift boat's pilot steers you under a fallen tree, the trunk scrapes your Tilley off your head and it floats away downstream, Tilley will replace it for the price of shipping.

Thanks for making me buy an $80 hat guys.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
The food issue is what really turns me off of multiday hikes. The diet of super processed crap is totally unappealing. Maybe I need a pack-goat or something?

There has been some mention of canoe camping and I have a question regarding something similar. I have this idea that I want to kayak the entire navigable Patuxent River. It looks like a trip of around 60-80 miles, depending on how far upriver I can launch. There is a "Water trail" with some riverside camp sites so the ideal plan is to do it all in one go.

My question is one of speed. I know this is going to depend hugely on wind, current, tide, and fishing time, but I would love a rough idea how many miles I can make in a day. All my yaking to this point has been fishing based so I have no sense of travel time.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Verman posted:

We're probably making it sound much worse than it actually is. There is a lot of food you can eat that tastes exactly the same as home, you just have to plan for it or prepare for a little extra weight. Multi day hikes are incredible because they bring you out further than you can ever reach on just a simple day hike. Glaciers, waterfalls, tarns, peaks and valleys that you would never see 3 hours from the car. The best part is the solitude. The feeling of not seeing another human being for the next few days is incredible. Its a little eerie at first but then its pretty awesome.

The first time I got onto a peak with 360º views was insane. We were all speechless and just took a seat and decided to have lunch up there.

HarryPurvis posted:

Thats true for a lot of backpackers actually. What you can do is look for smaller mom'n'pop or cottage businesses that sell their own food. Alternatively, buy a dehydrator and start making your own backpacking meals. I have a friend that does this and she makes some pretty incredible items for her trips. Way better than anything that would come out of a mountain house pouch.

I think I just have this idea in my head, I assume from a childhood of westerns and frontiersman stories, of walking into the woods with a knife, hatchet, some salt, some flour and just eating whatever you can kill and camping with a fire wherever you want. Unrealistic I know, but whenever I start reading about modern camping it seems so sterile and unappealing. I think this is made worse by my few little experiences on the AT, the parts around here are more or less walking through the same 300y of forest for hours, only the odd building or road to break the monotony. Plus I am a sucker for water, the woods hold little appeal but I will happily follow, for hours, the tiniest of streams to it source.

Not to be totally negative, I went to a new park that opened by my house yesterday as the blizzard was starting. It is on the South river and while it is a small rear end park, it has some decent trails and like 2-4 miles of shoreline on the available, which is a ton around here.

bongwizzard fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 6, 2015

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

The interaction of nature and the works of man are my favorite parts of hiking.

Also, train tunnels are unnerving as poo poo.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

VendaGoat posted:

Hey....That's PA isn't it?

Close, northern MD. Went out to check out the Patapsco river with a friend of mine. It is supposed to be a decent trout river and should be a blast to go wading and tubing in this summer. We did about 5-6 miles following a trail that runs along an old rail line.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I have an Atom LT and that thing is insanely warm for how small it packs down. If you stuff it into it's hood it will compress down to like softball sized.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
What's LNT?

Maybe it's just do to the small lovely parks around here, but by tracking footprints in mud/snow, I have noticed that I am often the only person to visit a particular park in a given week. I have often though of weird schemes to hide beers along trails and I am pretty sure with even the slightest bit of subterfuge, no one will find my booze.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
What's an MTB and do people really carry their poop out with them?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Hah, holy poo poo, so the old boyscout "walk 100 yards off the trail and bury it" isn't a thing anymore?

That is just so lame and depressing.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Well, it doesn't work so great if you haven't got any soil to decompose in.

Doesn't the wind dry it out into dust?

Admittedly, I am only familiar with muggy rear end mid Atlantic forests where your socks start rotting before you turn around to head home, but I cannot think of any where I would like to walk enough to be worth carrying my own poop.

Unless I had a dog and made him carry it as some weird reversal of fortune thing.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
So how do you guys feel about government owned land that has no public access? The county I live in is full of 200 to 600 acre parks that have no actual access. I plan to do much hiking, camping and fishing in these spots this summer. It seems like a shame to let homeless guys have all the fun.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

TerminalSaint posted:

The issue there is that it would mean the more in demand a place is, the wealthier a person would have to be to access it. The system is intended to limit use while still allowing equal access.

So long as your job/life lets you plan things months in advance I guess.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

And afford plane tickets, rental cars, gear etc.

I could do that, just not predict when will be free more then a month or so out.

Which is why I will spend the summer riverside camping next to homeless dudes.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

African AIDS cum posted:

Equal access to the leisure class who have the time and luxury to parse the 8 million different conflicting rules and spend hours trying to get through a busy signal to send a fax to enter a lottery day after day

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/114621/national-parks-popular-white-people-not-minorities-why

Eh, the kayak fishing forum I belong to is like the BK kids club, assuming you only count people over 40. But yea, I don't know how the idea that leisure time spent outdoors is tied to class, which is tied to race, is a surprise to anyone.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Kaal posted:

A good intermediary solution is for the poop to be smeared on rocks exposed to the sun, which allows them to be baked clean fairly quickly.

Hahah, cant even tell if you are kidding, dont even care. That is amazing.

I am becoming very contented with sea-level day hikes.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
How did people historically deal with bears getting into food at night? Post a watch, bring dogs along, wrassle the bear to get your food back?

For a more serious question, I am looking for an air pump. My friend and I want to do some "hike in, tube out" trips this summer and our general idea is to hike X miles up a river, pump up the tubes, and float home. I'm looking for a pump that is small, light, but still moves a decent volume of air. Bonus points for one that is cheap enough that I can just stash it under a train bridge for the season. The first river I have in mind is supposedly great for trout and I could see myself going back for solo fishing trips.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I had a similar idea a few years ago and used a little bike pump to inflate your normal black heavy duty ski/snow innertubes. What a bad idea. It took me at least an hour to get that thing properly inflated. I would consider either a bigger bike pump, or maybe slightly inflating them as much as is reasonable and then finishing them off at your destination. I cannot overstate enough just how much it sucked to sit there and use that stupid little hand pump. I think I used a Topeak model that came as part of an emergency bike kit.

Yeah, that was the fear. We figured that pumping time could be made more pleasant by wine but I think after two hours it would get old. I don't mind packing in a larger pump, stashing it, then packing it out in the fall but I would want something nice enough to survive exposure but cheap enough that if someone steals it I will not be too sad. Well, not too sad having just hiked 5 miles to discover the tubing trip is a bust.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I went to buy a hammock and there clearly has been a huge advancement in hammock technology sense I last bought one. The price range seems to be like $20 to $200. I just want something simple, rugged, able to support my fat (~220) rear end, and has a simple ring at each end. I will mostly be using it at work in the back of trucks and containers so I don't need any bug netting or what have you. Can anyone recommend one?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the hammock advice guys. Like I said, I am going to use his at work mostly so I will be under cover already. I would like to do a little camping on the farm I live on to see if my opinions on sleeping outside have changed in the last 15 years and a hammock would be perfect for that.

Also, Hungryjack, I still, sometimes, when confronted by something ridiculous, mutter "loving awesome possum" under my breath.
I think that was you, right?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Hungryjack posted:

It was me :) and oddly enough, Awesome Possum came up in conversation just last weekend. Weird.

Hah, it was the picture of you in the hammock that made me remember, I had forgotten who's username it was. I still have a picture of you and him somewhere in my "gun pics" folder.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
It looks like the ENO hammock is the one to get, but do I get the double or single. Amazon says the double packs down to the size of a grapefruit and the single a softball. Which seem to me be super close in size. I am going to be hanging this thing in close quarters most of the time and I am like 5'10" and ~220.

And most importantly, what is the most awesome hammock color combo? Amazon has an insane amount of options.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Thanks man, just ordered a singe in Orange.

Also, these guys must be buying some huge loving grapefruit.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

OSU_Matthew posted:

Depending on how tall you are, a double might have been more comfortable. The trick to a hammock is to lay at a diagonal--that lets sleep flat. The wider it is, the better you can lay out straight and sleep in it

Hah, I had no idea. I have never been in a hammock that wasn't hanging under a stage at an outdoor event, and I assume never in one that was hung stretched out enough for that to work.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Levitate posted:

A broken ankle is still trouble even if you have a nice easy trail to follow

My bff is going to die alone in the woods. Dude is always going on these long solo hikes without informing anyone. Fortunately he lives in a very built up area and mainly has to follow river valleys but I have already had to drag his rear end out of the woods with a broken leg once so far. For some reason he called me instead of 911 and by some insane stroke of luck I was in a car full of people maybe a mile from where he was.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I have been buying Northface shoes and boots lately, they seem to be the most breathable of any waterproof shoe I have tried. I am more of a fisherman then a hiker so it is pretty much inevitable that my foot is going into water at some point and I really like having a chance of escaping soggy foot.

I bought a pair of waterproof socks that really seem to work great and kept my feet dry all winter hiking through snow, slush, and icy water. Sadly they are like $40 pair and reviews are so mixed I am scared to order another pair.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Levitate posted:

I've heard external frame packs are making a comeback somewhat now that people use lighter materials but the biggest gear enthusiasts are probably likely to be lightweight advocates who don't need the volume and comfort benefits as much.

I got an old old REI external frame pack with the intention of making a rig so I could carry a 5 gallon bucket on it full of ice so that a I could catch and keep fish. The idea being that most guys will not walk more than a mile from their car so by hiking two to three miles in I could find some really low pressured spots.

What I found is that 5 gallons of ice and even a small selection of tackle is brutally heavy and trying to get said pack off my back is almost impossible to do alone. However the bucket is nice to sit on while dry heaving. So now I have a nice rig to carry beer along so long as I have a buddy to help get the pack off.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Look Sir Droids posted:

Have you considered a smaller bucket of ice? What are you catching and what's the catch limit?

Speaking of fishing is there a fishing thread here?

I believe the idea was to go after white perch, which iirc have no limit during most of the year. Sadly camping is verboten in most of the parks around here, but I am starting to not care so much about that. In any case I think setting up a smoker would cause some comment by the DNR.

There is a fishing thread on A/T but it is pretty quiet most of the time. There are some hugely knowledgeable dudes who post in it so questions get answered pretty quickly.

Here is a bass I caught last weekend in the C&O canal. I was there with a friend scouting out a potential kayak trip we want to take. He went nuts and has been back there every day sense, going a bit further each time. The canal towpath is like walking a lovely country lane that just happens to have a river one side and a canal on the other. We were able to do about 3-4 miles an hour with minimal fishing stops. I have a feeling it will take weeks to do the 185 miles if I really want to fish it all.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Half the fun of hiking is carrying an impracticality large knife.

Actually, I think I have in my day pack, a fixed blade Mora, a keychain leatherman, a nail clipper, and usually a pocket knife in my pocket. But again, fishing is my primary reason to hike so I use them all at some point.

Back to foot-chat, I got a promo email from Arcteryx the other day and I guess they now sell gortex booties that go between sock and shoe. I can't imagine how they don't wear through instantly but if they are covered under their normal warranty I am going to pick up a pair to try.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

evil_bunnY posted:

The booties go into their shoe shells.

Hah, yea, I didn't ready their "we are reinventing shoes" bit and got all excited about booties.

There is an Arcteryx store in DC now, I might check their future shoes out.

Does anyone make a gortex bootie/sock for under $20? That is about my limit for something so fragile.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
The problem with Peppermint Dr. Bronner's is that after a while, you don't feel clean unless you junk is tingling.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Poorly phrased, the problem is when you don't have access to the magic soap, you never really feel clean.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Yea, it's weird how NF is now a fashion thing. I love their shoes for work and the other day I wore a new pair and had like 3 dudes comment on them in a manner that suggested they were not outdoor enthusiasts.

Can anyone recommend a cheap to midprice pullover hoodie made of something non-cotton and with thumb holes? The trick is that I don't want some huge logo on it, which rules out NF and UA. I want it as a compressable, fast drying, and "disposable" layer for cold mornings at work and fishing. It is going to get covered in grease and blood so I don't want to get the $160 TAD gear one I am currently pineing for.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Optimus Subprime posted:

Does anyone happen to have any recommendations for lightweight fishing gear for backpacking? I am not an experienced fishermen by any means, but I have often looked at bodies of water while camping and been like "you know, fishing right now would be pretty cool". Any good guides to get someone started?

I primary am interested in hiking as a way to be able to fish more interesting places and I struggle with cutting down gear weight. I will say that a ultra lightweight rod, 2-pieces, and under 6' assembled, and a light spinning reel is a good choice.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Internet Explorer posted:

Has anyone tried an Emmrod for backpacking? It seems like it could work.

I would like to try one, but not at that price. I am currently working on a rig to hold rods to my daypack. I'll post it if it works.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
What page was footwear chat on? I might take the plunge and try some non WP trail runners.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
In the entertainment industry the chafing is called "gig butt" and is both prevented and treated by Gold Bond powder. If you hunt around drug stores you can find these little travel sized bottles of it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

It is so close to Gold Bond, it might be the same stuff, just more expensive.

Honestly I would do an add for GB if they asked, that stuff is the only thing that keeps me going some days.

Edit: Strong opinions about ball powder itt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

Anyone have any of the Uniqlo airism stuff? I realized that since tossing a bunch of clothes last fall, I only have one poly shirt that's appropriate for summer heat, and for the price I couldn't say no. I'm mainly wondering how breathable the non-mesh airism shirts are since I got a few of both. Are they pretty breathable and suitable for high activity stuff? Or should I plan on the non-mesh airism stuff just being casual wear?

At the start of the summer I switched out all my cotton undershirts for airsim stuff. It has been great so far and feels cool even when I am sweating up a storm. They do get a bit of a stink about them after a day or so of wear but I wore one last week for like 4 days of fishing and by the end it was still not too bad and a quick rinse under a hose had it back to normal.