Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iceslice
May 20, 2005

Akion posted:

Solar Charger Skip it. There is a lot of cover on the AT, so it's going to be minimally effective. I'd take something like the Brunton power packs that have a USB port to charge devices and can be wall charged.

Another way to approach power management is to base everything off of AA batteries. There are chargers that convert them to USB so you can charge your devices. Point and shoot cameras, GPS (like a Garmin Foretrex 401), and headlamps also all use them. You'll also be able to find them at nearly every store front in America, and can swap them around if you run low.

For example if your headlamp or GPS die you can pull them from your camera. It will also alleviate the need to go find a place to charge all your stuff.

The negatives are that they're nowhere near as efficient as the battery pack Akion suggested, they weigh considerably more, and you're going to be throwing them away instead of reusing them which is not very environmental friendly. You also can't utilize a solar panel unless you run some weird setup and rechargeable AAs, and that defeats the purpose. The cost will probably also catch up to you depending on how long your trip will be.

edit: Incase anyone is into McGyver kinda stuff, I also found this:
http://www.robots-everywhere.com/re_wiki/index.php?title=Ersatz_battery_booster
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVUbIMncjqM
Pretty much makes one of those battery chargers for your phone for $2.50, inside of a RadioShack. I'm going to make one today and try it out to see if its worth throwing into my pack.

iceslice fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iceslice
May 20, 2005

Saddamnit posted:

I second the Jet Boil. It's a great compact design and heats up really quick. Been using mine for a few years now and it's been awesome.

Just wanted to chime in about the Jet Boil. I lived out of one for a week and cooked pretty much everything from packaged food, beans and rice, to deer meat in it. Its awesome living in the woods knowing you can make coffee in 5 minutes every morning with almost no effort.