Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

There is absolutely nothing as far as hiking goes in South Florida. It is some of the most boring terrain to hike. Pick up kayaking, especially if you are going to be in Miami. There are a lot of barrier keys offshore, and if you head south you have the Florida Keys where you can paddle from key to key.

Airboats are fun, but they're more of a tourist activity. Decent way to kill an hour once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The fiance and I just started backpacking and haven't done anything too crazy, but we like our Big Agnes Jackrabbit SL3. It was on sale or something and we got it for 279.99 instead of 369.95.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I haven't used it for hiking yet, but I am very happy with my Osprey Comet that I use day to day as a bag for work. I keep my laptop and a bunch of tools / gear in it and it's bee great. The laptop compartment doubles as a hydration compartment and it has the hole in the top of the bag for the hydration tube.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I have three practical questions for those of you who have flown to an area to hike.

1 - How do you handle your backpacks on the plane? Obviously, you'll have to check them and you can't include JetBoil fuel. But, I'm a little hesitant in just checking my bag. It doesn't take a genius to know that backpacking bags can contain expensive gear. Do you pack them in a duffel bag and then just find a locker for the duffel bag at the destination airport?

2 - What's the easiest way to get JetBoil fuel between the airport and the hiking site?

3 - What's the easiest way to get from the airport to the hiking site? Most are probably a good distance away from the airport, making cabs expensive. It also seems fairly silly to rent a car just to drive to the site and then leave it there for 4-5 days.

I guess I'm really just looking for any advice revolving around traveling to backpack.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm new to backpacking but I have two Osprey packs that I love. I have the Osprey Comet which I use daily for work as a laptop + tools bag. The Osprey Talon 22 looks like it's more geared to hiking than day-to-day use like my Comet is. It has the hip belt lots of easily accessible pockets. I'd be shocked if you weren't happy with it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

What awesome timing on that sale. I live like 6 hours from the closest REI store, so I've never been to one in person. Ordered a bunch of stuff from them online and I'm a member. I just happened to be going to a town with an REI store during that time period, so I'd love to use the opportunity to pick up a good pair of boots.

Where I live my Vibram Komodosports are perfect for hiking / backpacking, but I would like to get opinions on what I should do for hiking in other terrain. I'm looking to travel and do some backpacking out west. Probably nothing in the dead of winter. I really enjoy hiking in my Vibrams, but I don't think they'll cut it for rougher terrain.

Are there any suggestions for a minimalist style hiking shoe / boot? I know there was some info about waterproof / not waterproof a couple of pages ago that I am going to go back and re-read. Pricing isn't really a concern.

[Edit: I can't imagine wearing high-top boots. Maybe something mid-top, but more likely a shoe-type fit unless anyone has a good argument for something else. Can you use gaiters with a shoe? Don't really have any experience with them.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 12, 2013

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I haven't done a ton of backpacking yet but so far I absolutely love my Osprey Atmos 65.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Not a whole lot of talk about the REI Anniversary sale. Anyone getting anything cool?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

A 4 person Coleman tent is fine for car camping and will be under 100. Just be sure to clean it out when you get home and don't put it up wet. Spray it with some sealant from time to time and you'll be good. Yes, a $400 Eureka tent will be better, but if you're just starting out a Coleman will do just fine.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

To follow up with Colorado chat, I had been debating on whether or not this is the thread for this, but I'd really like your guys opinions. I'm absolutely sick of the area I'm living in. Grew up here, lived in some other places for a while, and ended up back here. I live in hot and humid suburbia, and would really like to live somewhere with some more interesting climate with plenty of places to hike. Colorado seems like a great place for backpacking. Anyone have any opinions on living and backpacking there? Just tell me to shut up if it is too far off topic.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks for the Colorado backpacking info, Goons. Going to be a year or so before I can move, but I was looking at places between Boulder and Ft. Collins. Glad to hear I'm not too far off the mark. Hopefully going to travel out there soon to scope it out and get some backpacking in. :)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Erudite Sybarite posted:

My boyfriend and I broke up, and I have decided that I want to get the gently caress out of town and go to Gatlinburg to walk this off. I have been hiking pretty much only on day trips through the wetlands and grosser parts of central Florida, and I know the Rockies are completely different terrain. Has anyone been to Gatlinburg? I'm not really that concerned with the money aspect of it, but I'm really excited to see a different part of the south.

And yes, before I get ahead of myself, I plan on doing some overnight trips to really get me into being alone and in the woods, but I always like advice.

Good for you for getting out of the hiking hellhole that is central/south Florida. Working on doing the same myself.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

A Kpro posted:

drat, now I want to move to Colorado. Those mountains look like badass climbs.

Backpacking and by proxy, this thread, have me and my fiancée seriously considering moving to Colorado next year.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

yellowjournalism posted:

What headlamps (and flashlights) do you guys use? I'm looking at Fenix lights right now but also hear good stuff about Zebralight, though they don't offer models as cheap as some of the Fenixes.

I could've sworn there was a flashlight thread somewhere, possibly on TFR, but I can't find it any more.

I love my Fenix flashlights, but I have had two of their headlamps go bad on me with minimal use.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

i_heart_ponies posted:

Awesome. Not only is RMNP opened up again, but it seems most of the trail & road closures on the eastern side of the park from the floods last month have been lifted. Highway 36 from Lyons to Estes is still closed until early December I think, since much of the pavement is sitting in the St. Vrain River, but access is reportedly good via the Peak to Peak Highway. I'm hoping to bring my camera up there next week to see how much the landscape has changed.

I'd love to see your photos from RMNP. I am dying to move out that way just so I can hike RMNP.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That looks awesome.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My wife and I are going to Yosemite next year for our honeymoon. We're both very amateur backpackers, but we are looking to spend 5 days backpacking and we are a bit overwhelmed by all of the trailheads and rules as far as where you need to hike to and which direction you can go. We are probably going to fly out, stay a night at a hotel, backpack for 5 days, stay a night at a hotel, then fly home. Does anyone have any suggestions? We are looking to go in May, which I understand can still be fairly cold. Does anyone have any advice, especially regarding a trail or series of trails? Thank you.

[Edit: While we have been talking about May, it is not set in stone and I am starting to think it will still be entirely too cold. We live in the south and even seeing snow is an event for us.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Nov 26, 2013

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Reformed Tomboy posted:

Yosemite is popular and permits will sell out. The permits open up starting in December for May, so you'll need to plan quickly. I've never been in May, but expect there to be snow.

Tuolumne Meadows to the Valley floor is my favorite trip in Yosemite, and there are many paths to choose from so it can be made to be a 5 day trip. Layover days are also very worth it, so you can day hike to a near by peak or lake. My suggestion is to do part of the High Sierra Loop trail (trailhead: Rafferty Creek to Vogelsang) and branch off to follow the JMT back to the Valley Floor. If you park in the Valley, you can take a shuttle to Tuolumne (10bux iirc) and camp there the night before you hike. That way once you're done, you're back at your car.

If you need more specific help let me know. I've been there tons and can probably answer most of your questions. However, May being May and not August there will be things I don't know. Such as dealing with snow or if Tuolumne is even open in May (I know the road isn't, but that doesn't mean the camping is closed). You may want to call the ranger station and see what they say.

Thanks for the quick response. Yeah, we are trying to finalize our plans now so we can apply to get permits. We were hoping it would be a little easier going earlier in the season, but maybe that is not the case. The suggestions on their site say that snow generally starts at about 7,000 ft during that time of year, so I was trying to find trails that stay under it. Your suggestions sound pretty good, will look into them. One part I am confused about right now, is that on their map here, they say "Hikers may not backtrack from one trailhead to another trailhead on any night of their trip (either partially or fully) unless exiting at their entry trailhead to end their wilderness rip." Does that mean we cannot go from one trailhead to another, for example Happy Isles to Mono Meadow?

Thanks again for your help. I am sure these are very basic questions, but we are feeling a little overwhelmed by all of the choices.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Got ya. Thank you for the explanation. That didn't make much sense to me, as it seemed far too restrictive and I know I have seen people talking about routes to go from one trailhead to another. We did some more research last night and we are looking at something like Happy Isles, down to the Illilouette Creek area, then back out towards Mono Meadow. The route that you suggested, Rafferty Creek to Vogelsang, seemed like it went above 7,000 ft (to about 8,500), which we thought may be a problem for that time of year. We still have a ton of research to do, and we are considering pushing our trip back to early June or so. Thanks again for your help. I'm sure I'll be posting more in this thread before we head out that way. :)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I forget which Big Agnes qcore pad that I have, but I really like it. I think it was a little over 100, but the thing that stood out was that it was significantly thicker than other pads for the same weight.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My wife and I just got our reservations for Yosemite for our honeymoon. Going the beginning of June and going from the White Wolf trailhead to Pate Valley / Glen Aulin / Pothole Dome. We are super stoked.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 8, 2014

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Funny, I just started posting in the mountain biking thread trying to get their advice. I have a hammock but have not slept overnight in it. I live in an area where you would get eaten alive with bugs. If you find them comfortable and you think the weather would be nice, might as well try it. I'd definitely bring a tarp and rope to make an A-Frame above your hammock though, just in case you end up needing it.

Oh, and someone in the bike thread mentioned these. They seem great for biking and camping.
http://www.oldmanmountain.com/index.html

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

me your dad posted:

How many changes of clothes do you all typically bring? I'm going on a trip this weekend with lows in the teens and highs in the low 40's and I feel like I've grossly overpacked.

Backpacking for a weekend? Spare pair of socks and that's about it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, I'm fairly sure I'd bring firewood on my back before I bring cast iron cooking stuff. That poo poo is ridiculously heavy.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I have really been toying with the idea of getting one of these, but I am not sure if it is worth the weight. It seems like the best route may just be to bring some line and improvise.

http://www.emmrod.com/combat-fishing-pole/

I asked about them in the fishing thread and did not hear from anyone who has used one.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Verman posted:

I made a video of a trip from last year to RMNP. I'm terrible/new with video production, editing and effects so yeah.

I also need to reconfigure my photo/video gear. Bringing an SLR and a GoPro wasn't bad, but it would be nice if my SLR shot video ... maybe later down the road. And I need to bring my gorillapod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr69h-322jk

Thanks for posting this. Going to Denver next month and I really hope I get a chance to check out RMNP.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Verman posted:

Are you bringing snow shoes? My first time there was in late May early June a few years ago and while the temps in Denver were 80s - 90s, we were post holing in waist deep snow to get up to ouzel lake and could go no further due to feet of snow and losing the trail beneath it. While I had a sunburn on my neck from the hot day prior, we woke up to 4" of snow overnight and hiked out in blizzard conditions.

If you know what you're getting into and are prepared for it then cool but if you're expecting hikeable and clear trails then you might want to reconsider. Also the main road through the park closes between October and whenever the snow clears enough to pass (april-may?) A local Coloradoan would probably be able to give you more up to date trail conditions.

Oh, sorry for not being clear. I don't plan on doing any sort of hiking. I realize it is not the right time of year and that I may not even be able to get to the park. Thank you for the heads up. I'm going to Denver to scope it out before moving and I am going to at least try to see RMNP a bit if I can.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm still a total backpacking noob, but to me it seems like in certain situations your feet are just going to get wet. The wool socks and synthetics help make it not too terrible, then you just dry your feet at night. Still sucks though. Or is there a better way?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My wife and I have these and they are great.

http://www.rei.com/product/828412/big-agnes-insulated-q-core-pad

They are heavier than what you're looking at, but I will gladly carry an extra 12 oz for an extra 1 1/2 inches of thickness.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I really like my Osprey Comet 28. Use it every day for work and have used it as a day pack when needed.

http://rei.com/product/837025/osprey-comet-daypack

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Speaking of backpacks, I'm looking for a new multi-day pack in the 55-65 liter range to replace my old external frame backpacking pack. Looking in REI both the Osprey Atmos and Aether look close to what I'm interested in, but I'm having difficulty finding similarly sized packs in other brands (like the Gregory Savant or Boreas Lost Coast) at the local stores to try on. Any recommendations?

I really like my Osprey Atmos, but I don't have much to compare it against. My wife really likes her Deuter pack of about the same size, but I think the Atmos is nicer. Has more external pockets, better side mesh pockets for water, and a couple of other niceties. If you're looking at packs that size, I don't think you can go wrong with the Atmos.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Joe Videogames posted:

Does anyone have any exposure to Keen brand hiking boots/shoes?

I wore some Salomon trail running shoes in cross country. Anything buy Salomon is great.

My wife has a pair of Keen hiking shoes. Not sure what model. She seems to like them although we have very little experiencing hiking in our "real" hiking shoes.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I own the Osprey Atmos 65 and I love it. I haven't done any 3 day trips yet, but I'm sure it could handle it without a problem. My wife has a smaller Deuter and loves it. I can't remember if she's used the +10 feature or not yet, but it seems fairly useful. I don't think you can go wrong with either. I'd try them on and check out the pocket placement and find the one you like the most.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

A double hammock for backpacking sounds like a nightmare.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Now you guys have me nervous. Will a 65L pack be big enough for 5 days in Yosemite?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks for the feedback about the Atmos 65 being big enough for a 5 day trip in Yosemite. My wife and I are going in June for our honeymoon and we are stoked!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So MY WIFE and I are trying to put the finishing touches on our Yosemite trip in June. We are arriving at San Francisco airport on June 7th, then flying out from San Francisco on June 15th. Our permit is for 5 days, Monday the 9th to Friday June 13th. We are staying at Curry Village before we leave, so Saturday night and Sunday night. Then we are staying at Tuolumne Meadows Lodge the Friday night after the hike. It will be our first time hiking 5 days, first time hiking at such an altitude, and first time hiking with it being fairly cold.

My question is, does anyone have any advice for dealing with the public transportation from San Francisco to Yosemite, and really, more importantly, from Curry Village to our trailhead at White Wolf? I think we can hike from the Tuolumne Meadows trailhead to the Tuolumne Meadows Lodge. It looks like we could normally use YARTS to go from Curry Village to White Wolf, but that is only on the weekends during that season. There is something called "The Tuolumne Meadows Hikers Bus", but that doesn't start until the end of June.

Our thoughts are leaning more and more just renting a car, but even if we leave it at our exit point at Tuolumne Meadows Lodge, we would still have to find a way back to the White Wolf trailhead to begin our hike on Monday.

I think we could leave our car at the White Wolf trailhead, and then when we arrive on Tuolumne Meadows Lodge on Friday night, the next morning take the YARTS bus (since it runs on the weekend) back to our car at White Wolf. The problem there is it seems like that bus only runs at a time putting us back at White Wolf 11:00AM... may be hard to get there then drive to San Francisco in time for a plane back.

So basically, this poo poo is complicated. If anyone has any advice, I'd love to hear it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My wife and I have a Big Agnes Jack Rabbit SL3 and we love it. It sounds like the tents you guys are talking about are a little more expensive and a little lighter, but we got ours for like $280 from REI a year or so ago and it has been great. I like pretty much any of the Big Agnes stuff we have.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

So the wife and I are flying to Yosemite tomorrow, starting our backpacking trip on Monday. We're going to take the weekend to sightsee around Yosemite Valley. I think we're about as prepared as we can be, seeing as we're from 0 elevation and our longest trip is 2 days and we're going to be doing 25 miles over 5 days. The only thing I'm unsure of at this point is how the hell we are going to each fit a bear cannister in our bags. Our gear barely fits as-is, I can't imaging stuffing a odd shaped object in our bags is going to make things better. Any tips? I know to avoid hanging stuff off your bag, but it seems like the only way we may be able to carry them is hanging them off the back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Verman posted:

You should only need one larger can for the both of you. We've used one large can for three people for five days. Compress all the food by removing access packaging and repackaging things into Ziploc bags. Remove all the air from any bag. The can will weigh a lot and it doesn't usually tie on very well so consider moving a tent or something else to the outside. We started by trying to tie the bin to the bottom of a pack but it through off the balance of the pack and kept falling out. One guy carried two tents the other with the bin internally

That makes sense. I think I may have been looking at the measurements for a large bear can and thinking we needed 2 of them. Good idea on the tent. My bag has a loop to put something under the sleeping bag department, on the outside, so that would be good for the tent. May not even need that if we're only doing 1 bear can. Thanks for the quick response!