Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marman1209
Jun 14, 2005
NonSequar got me this account for no damned reason.

MMD3 posted:

I've got an arc'teryx gamma soft shell that I've had for like 4 years or so now and it's one of my favorite jackets I've ever owned... I also have a pair of Beta AR pants and they fit incredibly well and keep me completely dry. I've never had one of their hard shells but I'm sure they're amazing. If you can spend the dough I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

I can't remember the last time I washed one of my shells. I'm not usually crawling around in mud or anything though so I'm not sure how long you'd go before you hit 4 washes or whatever.

It's not the mud you have a worry about, it's you. Take it from someone that has handled many delaminating hard shells: wash your jackets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marman1209
Jun 14, 2005

PRADA SLUT posted:

How often?

It depends on use and how sweaty you get in it, but I would do twice a year as a minimum for using it as a regular commuter jacket with some light hiking trips throw in.

Do more? Wash more.

Marman1209
Jun 14, 2005

MMD3 posted:

Speaking of product returns. Does anybody have much experience with Patagonia? I have a down sweater jacket that is only a year and a half old, I bought it at a Patagonia store here in Portland and it's developed a hole that is leaking down. Normally I'd say, oh, my fault, I snagged it on something and just let it ride but the hole is right over where the cinch is for the waist drawcord so it's clear that just the placement of the cinch caused for too much abrasion in the fabric. It seems like it could be a design flaw that could be fixed pretty easily with just some reenforcing there or a repositioning of the cinch.

Is this something that is worth bringing in to Patagonia or am I being an rear end for thinking that's on them?

It's an issue, I have a hoody with the same problem. I think snug fit/cinching it down + jeans is just a poor combo.

Bring it into the store, they can probably repair it if you can live without it for two weeks.

Marman1209
Jun 14, 2005

agarjogger posted:

Yeah, I believe it. Sounds like if I want to keep doing regular weekend hikes, I'm going to have to get a bit more casual about hopping on an airplane. In winter, one could make their way across frozen farmland in a way they obviously couldn't in any other season, but I do wonder how long it would take me to get hassled/arrested. The railroads are also a trail substitute, since the actual trails are for jogging and bike commuting. Also there's always the I&M Canal. It's a pretty lackluster bike, but it's neglected and underdeveloped enough to be a serviceable hike.

I mean you're both completely correct. There may be no worse metro for outdoor rec than Chicago.
Maybe I could get a hold of a car to go do a segment of the North Country Trail, for which I thank you for the tip.

e: Maybe I'll just join a climbing gym.

Another option might be Mississippi Palisades State Park. I think they have some "backcountry" campsites and several trails that kinda loop together if they're not reserved for skis. Website isn't too clear on winter use.

New gear:

Marman1209
Jun 14, 2005
Anyone here have any experience doing the full length of the Hoh River Trail in Olympic NP? I'm heading out there in late May, and I'm wondering what to expect snow-wise once we get near the end. NPS says bring an ice axe, but I can't find anyone else talking about using one.

Marman1209
Jun 14, 2005

Discomancer posted:

I've done it late May, and it's pretty weather dependent since you may still get some good snow coming in. There's probably going to still be snow at the higher elevations like along the High Divide and parts of Bogachiel that would be nice to have crampons for, I don't know if an ice axe would be necessary since the trails are pretty well graded and well maintained, I'd call one of the ranger stations a little closer to your trip date and get some more info. At the very worst, bring it and if they recommend taking it, go for it. Otherwise, just leave it in the car. It's really scenic, and if there's a little bad weather it's actually good because the crowds go WAY down along the Hoh Trail. On a nice day, the first few miles of that can be a circus.

Oh, seems unlikely but if there's a serious windstorm in the weather, just call it off. When I was there in May several years ago, there had just been a big storm there and I saw a bunch of huge HUGE trees knocked over, taking out several hundred feet of forest with them on the way down. I can't imagine how terrifying being out there in that storm would have been.

We're aiming to hike up to glacier meadows to see Blue Glacier, which I think is a bit less of a snow issue than high divide...? Working off of assumptions from reading the internet though.

I was kinda planning to bring them and ask rangers what they think of the conditions when we're there, but I'm buying such a mountain of gear for this trip I was really hoping I could skip snow stuff. I might see if I can borrow a set though.

Can I actually get away with not using a bear can along the trail? Seems like most of the sites have bear wires in place to hang bags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marman1209
Jun 14, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

Does anyone know how MH's DryQ Evap performs? I'm looking to get either the Marmot Precip ($50) or MH Capacitor ($100): http://www.mountainhardwear.com/mens-capacitor-jacket-OM5178.html

Since these are budget shell, I assume the fabric isn't terribly breathable on its own, which gives a huge advantage to the pit zips and mesh pockets of the Precip.

Both of these jackets, assuming we're talking about a SP14 Precip, have an air permeable membrane. These are newish style laminates that sacrifice some waterproofness for a lot of breathability. I'm pretty sure Dry.Q Evap is 2.5L eVent, and the PreCip uses the new NanoPro stuff they just came out with.

I would get the Mountain Hardware jacket. It's lighter weight, probably higher quality in general and I just trust eVent more.

Marmot's low and mid level hardshells are noticeably lower quality than a lot of the competition (lower stitch count, fat zippers, etc), and the PreCip has long been known for being unreliable. Also, it looks like a shell from 10 years ago.

If you're looking at a past season PreCip I wouldn't even consider it.