Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
Please add me to the list of hikers, I'm in Western Washington and am generally willing to dayhike anywhere in the Olympic range and North Cascades.

I've been out a ton and have run into a lot of snow still in the North Cascades and Olympics, and an unending supply of assholes with dogs and a set of flat soled Vans. :frogout:

Later this summer I'm going to be headed up to Glacier Meadows in the Olympics to maintain a base camp for an insane friend who is going to attempt an Olympus summit on a really compressed time schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Did Mt. Ellinor today in the Olympic Range. Beautiful weather, but a bit warm hiking up next to the snow chute. I'm definitely out of shape (got outpaced by a 60 year old guy and his dog training for Rainier), but hopefully that will get better as the season moves on. 5,944' for those interested. Sorry about the stitching errors in the pano and the random people in the last bit. I haven't pulled the pictures off my actual camera yet.

edit: Attaching didn't work, so:
edit2: So attaching did work, the timg is from the higher res shot.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

krispykremessuck fucked around with this message at 07:03 on May 11, 2013

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

I bought a new pack at REI the other day to replace my Asolo that I busted the waist strap on. I also bought a couple wicking t-shirts while I was there and snapped up the last pack of microspikes (not on sale, damnit).

Anyway the pack I picked up is a Gregory Z30 (large, so 33L). It did really great over the 8 or so miles I did on Saturday. My roommate picked up a Camelbak Vantage (41L) from a local place here which is super nice, but I warned him that extra space makes him the group's pack mule.

Doing 10 miles a day with my pack loaded to 30lbs for the next couple months to prep for Olympus. :dance:

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

UglyDucklett posted:

What about socks in the summer? Is smartwool best for hot and cold weather or should I just buy the thinnest wicking socks I can find?

I always just stick with thick merino wool and bring a couple of extra pairs with me, even in summer. Cuts down on blisters and my boots breathe well enough that I never have a problem with my feet overheating. I'd say whatever is most comfortable for you/what you're doing. So bring a pair of both and try both out and see what works best.

edit: gearchat is great just because it may save someone from buying a piece of junk, and when REI is holding a sale ... what else are you going to talk about?

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Verman posted:

What I took away from it aside from the basic irresponsibility is the lack of competent gear. Someone was saying earlier that this thread speaks more to the miles put in at REI versus the miles put on the trail, and while those gear heads to exist and thats what they're into I don't see a problem with knowing the ins and outs of every piece of gear you bring with you into the outdoors.

I tend to over-pack even for day hikes. For example, I never go anywhere at this point in the season without my ice axe and microspikes. Trails may be a bit different here in the sense that there are tons of places with 10+ feet of snow still, and some of that snow is getting rotten or melting out from underneath. The point is, I'm prepared for really lovely conditions. I don't hike ultra-light because I'm training for some serious summits this summer, and because I just don't like being un/under-prepared. I've also seen some pretty gnarly trail injuries because of stupid/piss-poor decisions about what people should/shouldn't bring/wear.

Also I have a whiteboard at home where I note trail, target, dates, anticipated times, and who is with me so my girlfriend knows to tell them where to look for bodies me and my friends.

edit: note: I'm not making GBS threads on ultra-light hikers, mainly people that roll up in yoga pants with some Keds and try to summit moderate places like Mt. Ellinor here.

krispykremessuck fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 23, 2013

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

I'm hardly a mountaineer, but the most common injury I see up here is rolled ankles and sprains. Those normally aren't that gnarly, but when you're a couple miles in with no way to contact EMS and by yourself or just +1 on a low-traffic trail, that can turn into a really bad situation quickly. Especially if you cut yourself up on sharp basalt scree in the process.

The OP stressed it in this thread, and I doubt people here are lacking the good sense, but most strains, sprains, fractures, and cuts I've seen were a direct result of improper footwear.

As far as the ice axe and microspikes go, I'm frequently in places I may be glissading back down, or doing long snow traverses. I could do them without an ice axe, probably, but it's 1 extra pound on a tool loop for that little bit of extra insurance. I've seen a guy break his ankle in a hole in snow chute because he had no way to self-arrest. That was several miles in and turned into a 5 person/4 hour effort to get him to the trailhead where it was still another couple of hours before EMS could get on scene.

That's pretty extreme and out of the ordinary conditions, I know. Most of the time it's entirely uneventful and I don't see injuries other than mild sprains, but it seems like once a season I watch someone go down a forest road in an ambulance, or the back of a truck to a point where EMS can pick them up.

You can check youtube for videos of the glissade down Ellinor's snow chute. Glissading is really fun, but can be super dangerous if you're unprepared/inexperienced. I have some pictures, but they'll never do justice to how steep that chute is, and how fast you can get going on the way down. Also a couple weeks ago when I was up there, there was a HUGE cornice at the summit that I hope falls down before anyone stands on it.

http://www.wta.org/trail-news/signpost/three-hikers-rescued-from-mount-ellinor - A few years old

Bonus: A decent video of the descent from Ellinor, even if he goes a little slow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WwWMqWFqzY

Sorry for the long "It's Dangerous!" post, but a lot of people really underestimate even the moderate and easy trails around here.

edit: /\/\/\/\ Yeah, I set out with the summit in mind pretty much every time unless I'm conditioning, which I tend to just do around home anyway. Weather and rotten snow/ice/major cornices/gear failures are usually what stop me.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Verman posted:

VVVVV - Agreed, my closest hiking buddies and I have a "wuss" rule meaning that nobody will think or speak negatively of anyone on the trip if we need to call it quits early for any reason. A lot of times groups of people, especially guys, can get competitive and feel like they need to prove something so they don't voice their concerns and can get themselves into trouble. Before setting out, especially with new people, we make it very welcoming for anyone to speak up about concerns. It generally leads to really good trips and a general group understanding that safety is the primary focus, which relaxes everyone and makes it really enjoyable.

My group does this too, and it's for the best. We also talk a lot to listen to people's voices and see if someone is really straining, and adjust pace or stop for rest if it turns out something is more strenuous than we thought.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

If I hadn't had my ice axe with me, I'd have probably busted my leg today. Or worse. :stare:

Other than one kinda lovely moment, though, it was pretty good. I just wish it had been clear. There's a poo poo ton of snow still on the ground in the Olympic Mountains in Washington, if anyone is making any trips this weekend. It was also loving snowing on top of Valhalla. Heavily.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

So I'll be "hiking" this in the next month:

I think I might need to check my definition of hiking.

edit:

From Seattle looking west:

krispykremessuck fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 27, 2013

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Philip J Fry posted:

The Brothers :allears:

Probably my favorite summit; I always enjoy camping out at Lena Lake the day before.

We're probably going to camp where the trail starts to peter out at like 3000'. Dunno yet, plans aren't solid. I'm really pretty excited about it, though, because it puts me that much closer to being ready for Olympus in August. Then Eldorado Peak :getin:

Whatever the case, I just hope it isn't cloudy when I get up there.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

By the way, for anyone planning to hike/climb in the Olympics in Washington, I highly suggest the Olympic Mountains Trail Guide by Robert L. Wood.

The third and most recent addition was published in 2000, but covers major NF road washouts and such. The only things it doesn't cover are extremely recent developments like the removal of the Elwha River Dam and such.

Washington hiking goons probably already know about it, but if you're looking to travel here for hiking, or are hiking incidentally to travelling here for other reasons, the Washington Trails Association and NW Hikers.net are great resources for routes, current conditions, and trail reports. NW Hikers covers more than just Washington, which is nice, and you can get optional gear-shaming threads if you like, too! :v:

For bigger summits, there's also SummitPost.

edit: /\/\/\/\ Pinnacle Looks like a great hike. I wish we had your weather on Saturday here. Instead we were socked in with light snow/fog.

Here's me commenting that I "think the snow isn't very deep" about two minutes before almost falling into a 6-8 foot hole next to a rock:

And here's where we set out for in the morning, but stopped because of weather: Valhalla Peak (5345'), and we were just about at Fifty-fifty Pass (5050' heh)

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Save me jeebus posted:

Some truly outstanding glissading to be had on Mt. Sherman today:

IMG_2943 by WestslopeBruin, on Flickr

Had a crew of 12 - all summitted; three bagged their first 14er. Season is ON!

I'm super jealous. I did some glissading yesterday but nothing that fun!

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

TopherCStone posted:

Just got an internship working in forest regeneration. Gonna need new hiking boots, as the tread is wearing out on my current pair. I want something pretty light and breathable, but that won't kill my feet if I have to stomp on a shovel. Can anybody recommend me a pair?

If you're gonna be working in a wet or damp environment I'd suggest considering the Danner Mt. Defiance GTX or the Vasque Bitterroot GTX. Maybe not as light as you'd like, but they'll stand up to trail/forestry work.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

alnilam posted:

but I hafta be a debbie downer here and point out that there are other reasons people advise against bringing dogs on deep-country hikes.
Dog pee/poo messes with local animals because of the smell. Many prey animals won't go near the trail as a result, and it might cut them off from their normal route to water, food, offspring, etc.
Dogs can be unpredictable when you encounter a dangerous animal - what if your dog had been barking at a bear cub (with mom nearby) and not a rat snake?

You're not being a debbie-downer. These are legitimate concerns that a lot of pet owners never consider when they drag their pets up a trail.

edit: :can:

krispykremessuck fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 12, 2013

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Any extra space you have would try to fill with granola and dried fruit. Really calorie dense, usually. Maybe some powdered protein drinks, as well.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

In preparation for my first backpacking trip, I bought these trail shoes, wigwam socks, and trekking poles a couple of months ago. I have water-proof boots but I bought the trail shoes because I wanted to switch over to something lighter and breathable.

I found out today that the trail I'll be hiking on is going to be 'extremely wet & muddy' because of melting snow. I want to use my new shoes and walk in something lighter but extremely wet and muddy sounds like it'll be a nightmare for me. What would you guys do in my shoes(hurr)?

I have pants and gaitors but v:shobon:v

Wear the boots. If you're camping, might be worth it to bring the trail shoes along as camp shoes.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

I hike and climb in the Olympic National Forest twice a week. It's pretty rainy. If you have the clams to drop on Arc'teryx then I'd say in a really wet environment it's probably totally worth it. On average though the REI shells or Marmot stuff will be suitable for most use-cases, they just won't last as long. If you're hiking in normally arid areas your rain shell doesn't need to be top of the line, probably. Gear is kind of subjective and individual taste, but basically what i__heart_ponies said.

I'm having a bad gear year. Prepping for a climb I found my multi-day pack had a hole in the bottom of it. I picked up a Gregory Baltoro 75. I tried out the Black Diamond packs too. With 40lbs the Black Diamonds felt weightless. Some kind of voodoo with their suspension.

The new Gregory feels really good, though. I didn't go with Black Diamond due to price and the fact that it only had one tool loop...? :wtc:

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Anathema Device posted:

Has anyone here posted a fitness log with a hiking toxx? How would I go about formulating a goal? I'm thinking it would be x miles OR x feet of elevation gain, with proof being an identifiable picture from the endpoint of the hike. Does that sound reasonable?

I'm totally out of shape, but I try to get out and hike a few times a week. At the beginning of last year I was ~100 lbs over my goal weight. Doing short hikes several times a week last summer, I lost about 45 lbs. After a really lazy winter, I'm struggling to get back into hiking. Pushing myself today I did about 1.25 miles with minimal elevation gain on a fairly rough trail. I'm trying to figure out what a reasonable, but challenging, goal would be for the next two months.

I feel silly posting about my really short hikes when you all do such amazing stuff, but I have to start somewhere, right?

Everyone starts somewhere. I don't do especially long hikes, usually ~10-12 miles roundtrip in a day. I usually see between 3-4000 feet in elevation gain and I tend to carry extra weight for conditioning. Find hikes you like and work your way up to more strenuous ones. Hiking a couple times a week will do wonders for your hiking fitness. On days I'm not hiking I try to load up some extra weight and walk 5-6 miles just for conditioning.

A note on conditioning hikes: If you make your hiking solely about fitness I think it would be easy to get burnt out. Try to mix it up with stuff that has a good payoff like a vista or lake or waterfall if these things are available. I try not to pick trails that just end up being a death-march to an uninteresting meadow.

Also to help you in the winter, you might consider getting into snowshoeing if you can afford a pair. That can be a hell of a workout.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Anathema Device posted:

How do you guys decide when you're ready to try a new or challenging hike? I see you planning multiple day backpacking trips or doing big peaks. How do you know where your limits are? What do you do if you get partway in and find that you can't do as much as you thought? If you're bringing less experienced people along, how do you judge when it's safe?

I'm in good enough shape and have conditioned enough now that anything short of high altitude (>10k feet) probably is worth a try. I know my own limit which, right now, is some kinds of ice climbing. If the group I hike with gets in partway and -any- of us isn't up to continuing, we all turn back. I know what kind of energy I need to get to the top usually and if I don't have it, I'll turn back. Hiking and specifically climbing a lot of the time comes down to judgment calls about stuff like that. Climbing is never going to be safe, and more strenuous and complicated hikes can be dangerous. It's all about exercising good judgment and being prepared to deal with whatever may arise on the trip. Carry the ten essentials, don't go hiking in lovely weather, dress appropriately, and stay hydrated. Hope for the best.

Goal-setting wise: I will, or have already climbed every peak in this frame. There are a couple behind clouds. I climb up somewhere, spot something or many things I'd like to climb. Goal set.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

PRADA SLUT posted:

I have an odd question about Everest.

If you theoretically had unlimited normal oxygen, are you still on a "timer" once you hit the death zone because of other effects of the altitude, or are your only hazards things that would kill you anywhere else (cold, food, etc)?

Bottled oxygen won't make you immune to HACE/HAPE and other wonderful side effects that accompany high-altitude climbing.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

PRADA SLUT posted:

I've heard of a trail running through Ecola Park to Seaside, in Oregon, like a 30-mile trail. Does anyone know anything about this? I can't seem to find information other than the existence of the Ecola state park and a few random 2-8 mile trails. Where's the trailhead even?

I don't know much about Oregon trails, but I know up here in Washington a lot of weird routes are named, but really are just a route across several different trails. Does this 30 mile trail have a name?

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Be really careful, Dr. Video Games.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Climbed up to Hawk Peak, from Tull Canyon near the Tubal Cain Mine in Olympic National Forest/Buckhorn Wilderness area in Washington to escape the ridiculous heat down at sea level.

Summit Panos

This is a pano from the meadow we ate lunch in. On the right side is the Hawk Peak false summit looking underwhelming when compared to Mount Worthington on the left side. I might be doing Worthington soon, I had to scrap my big plans for a more prominent mountain for the year.

This last shot kinda shows the snow slope I glissaded down in the lower right. Nice packed snow with a soft 2-3" on top made glissading nice and quick, but not out of control. A good day today. Kind of a short hike, like 12 miles or so, and only about 3000' of elevation gain. Also I think Seattle is in this picture.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

PRADA SLUT posted:

Are there biodegradable wet wipes or do you just get regular ones and haul them out with you? I'm getting conflicting options from Amazon.

Wet wipes are great, they'll stop you from getting mudbutt. Pack out your trash.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Tagra posted:

I need some advice, Hiking thread.

My husband and I have identical Osprey 3L hydration packs. One of them tastes great. The other one tastes like rear end. To be specific, it tastes kind of like smokey plastic, but they've both had roughly equal use. We've had them for a year and a half now, I think.

How can we get the taste out of the nasty one? They both tasted plasticky when they were new, but the one cleared right up while the other one seemed to just get worse. We've run hot water through it but it didn't seem to help. I'm currently soaking it with hot water and baking soda to see if that does anything. We have a backpacking trip coming up in a couple weeks and he's just about ready to just go buy a new one and hope for better luck... but a new one is going to taste nasty too at first so I don't think it will help him much.

[edit]They've had chlorine tabs in them too so I don't think it's a bacteria thing, but maybe I'm wrong.

Have you tried swapping the hoses between the two to see if it's the hose?

For the guide book/warning conversation, I've found that the more regional/area specific books tend to be much more accurate in their description of trail/backcountry areas. The waytrail I used on Sunday getting down from Hawk Peak was pretty terrible and I wouldn't suggest it to the average person. It dropped about 2500' feet over the course of 2 miles or so, USFS has a sign at the end of it advising novice hikers not to use it. My guide book says:

Robert L. Wood posted:

The Silver Lakes can be reached via an alternate route, an unmaintained way path that joins the main trail less than a mile from the lakes. Follow the instructions given for reaching the Upper Dungeness Trail via FS Road 2860, cross the Dungeness River, then drive 3.6mi/5.8km, still on FS Road 2860, to the Tubal Cain Trail; cross Silver Creek, and continue to an obscure, abandoned logging road which has space for parking two or three vehicles. No indicate the trail begins nearby until one hikes up 300 feet of unmaintained path to a large bulletin board and sign-out station. The trail at this point is surprisingly good and shows evidence of being used, but it is often, but it is often overgrown. Beginning on the west side of Silver Creek, the trail soon crosses to the east side (no bridge). The path more or less follows the creek and after climbing a bit of precipitous terrain, where hikers must use care, it ends in a junction (2.2mi/3.5km) with the main route.

That's a pretty accurate description of the trail. It's harsh and unmaintained, and quite steep in places. When blowdowns occur on that way trail it could be decades before someone clears them, especially since it's wilderness area and no motorized equipment is allowed. I only used the waytrail because it was a convenient way to make my hike into a loop instead of up and down the same trail.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Black bears are sissies, especially if you behave correctly.

Mama bears are not sissies.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Smoove J posted:

This is my current boot http://www.backpacker.com/gear/details/boots/2484

They say it's crampon compatible, but my loafers could be crampon compatible for all I know

Those look like they'll take strap crampons. Auto or semi-auto is unlikely. Though I've never used the semi-auto crampons, but those boots don't have the heel/toe welt like here:

That said, I've seen people do some insane poo poo with the wrong kinds of crampons, including a friend I watched climb a waterfall in tennis shoes with some strap-on crampons and trash bags.

Go to REI/your favorite outdoor store with your boots and ask.

edit: just to be clear, boots that take semi-auto just have the heel welt. Heel/toe is auto. Strap-on will attach to just about anything, but are not suitable for ice climbing unless you are an insane person.

krispykremessuck fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 20, 2013

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Smoove J posted:

Well ok. Might be time to think of a new shoe. Thank you

Snow/glacier travel with strap-on style crampons and a semi rigid boot will be fine. I wouldn't buy mountaineering boots unless you have serious money to burn OR you're doing something that'll benefit from a full shank/extra insulation/ability to take automatic crampons.

Do not attempt glacier travel without an ice axe, and preferably with some instruction. Not saying you would, but glaciers kill even the prepared.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2018496296_rainierrescue22m.html

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Tagra posted:

Whenever we have to be :colbert:

Probably late July-ish though. We have a year to work out vacation times and whatever so it can flex.

[edit]Ooh Enchantments looks good

In the Olympics: Hoh River to Glacier Meadows (this won't take 3-4 days, but if you want to hang out around Blue Glacier and check out Olympus, you can burn a couple days there), Lacrosse Basin to ... wherever, since you can go pretty much anywhere from there. Lots of traverses. The Brothers, Mount Constance, Mt. Deception, Royal Basin, Mount Mystery, Pershing, Cruiser, The Needles, Warrior Peak, and so on heh.

Cascade side I'm less familiar with as those are the serious mountains. Probably better backpacking over there, I use the Olympics for dayhiking and the occasional serious climb.

I'd recommend picking up the Olympic Mountains Trail Guide (Robert Wood) and also visiting https://www.wta.org (Washington Trails Association) and https://www.nwhikers.net

For St. Helens if you're just going to the rim, that's a day hike and, in my opinion, best done as a snowshoe. After some point in May through I think September you have to get a permit to go to the crater rim.

For Rainier you can hike up to Muir and check out base camp, and I'm sure there are tons of backpacking loops around it. For a serious summit attempt unless you're going with someone who has climbed it previously and recently, I'd highly suggest a guiding agency or getting a really good look at it up close. It is the most prominent and most glaciated mountain in the lower 48.

My weekend was pretty ok, just staying in shape for Mt. Olympus. So I found a good viewpoint, since I'll be making an attempt in a couple weeks.

It's the one in the clouds.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

My hiking partner's dad was overdue four hours last night (three hours past dark). Luckily he checked in right as his family was about to call the local Sheriff. As a reminder, make sure people not only know where you're going, but a general idea of the route you're taking, and the trailhead (if there is one) where you're going to start.

They almost stayed overnight, but had headlamps and just roughed it out coming down the mountain/trail. Yikes.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

alnilam posted:

Yikes. I hate getting caught on the trail at night. Glad he made it okay.
"They almost stayed overnight" - were they just going to sleep on the ground with extra layers, or build a lean-to, or make a garbage bag bivy sack? Or did they bring a tent?

All of us in the group I regularly hike with carry at least mylar blankets and a windbreaker, if not an actual thermal layer. In addition we each usually carry a couple extra clif bars. Also all but one of us has had wilderness navigation courses and some other stuff. At night in the Olympics it's still probably getting down to the low to mid forties in most places, and in some places it's probably getting pretty close to freezing.

None of us want to stay out if it isn't planned, but we're always prepared to. I don't have an ultralighting obsession, so a little extra doesn't bother me. :can:

edit:

The reason they were debating staying overnight was that they were quite a ways off trail up a large pile of basalt named Mt. Worthington which normally isn't a bad scramble, but coming down it at night would not be the optimal descent. There are some nooks and crannies you could shelter in up there at night, if necessary. If you're particularly lucky you might be able to get a phone call out from the summit. The story I got last night about what led them to being out after dark was that they made "some decisions" that cost them time, but were still committed to the summit.

krispykremessuck fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 7, 2013

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

Haha everybody does the same thing, and nobody ever wants to be first to mention descending before the top.

Well, there was also some stuff about rotten rock in there, so I'm wondering what route they attempted before they settled on the scramble. I'd have likely made the same call. The good news about Worthington is that one part of it you can kind of just walk right down into the basin ... that is probably tens of miles from where you want to be.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Scottw330 posted:

Is there a consensus on when a satellite-phone/satellite-beacon device is necessary? I'm going on a 6 day trip next week on trails that are pretty well traveled, and we'll never be more than 2 days out from civilization. Normally I wouldn't think I would need one, but there are new people in my group, and I'm starting to spook myself into thinking I need one.

I wouldn't get one for something like that, but if you're in the market, I'd recommend the McMurdo FastFind 406 PLB. Someone said something about weight, and that's not really the issue. High quality PLBs are expensive as hell, but they'll be worth it that one time.

I wouldn't worry about having a PLB along unless I was roping up for glacier travel or going on a major expedition into backcountry.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Scottw330 posted:

That's what I'm thinking. I've been on trips where I was off-trail and at least 4 days from any roads, so another guy I was with brought a sat-phone and a PLB.

Without a PLB the worst case scenario would involve sending someone for help (max 2 days), or trying to get cell reception at the top of a mountain.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Take a course in wilderness navigation, and get a decent GPS and bring extra batteries. You can kind of forego the wilderness nav course if you have at least a GPS and know how to use it AND aren't planning off-trail excursions. It's really easy to lose you way in the hills/mountains, especially if you're dozens of miles in.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

I got a Black Diamond something-or-other for my birthday... I carry it with me but jeez I hope I never have to use it. It has a battery pack with 4 AAs in it, and apparently the spotlight is 200 lumens. A little over the top for me, but uh, happy birthday to me.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Time Cowboy posted:

Gear chat is boring when you're poor. Have some pictures from a little hike I did around Montauk Point (NY):

The Atlantic.

A dead, very smelly fish.

A gorgeous beech grove in prime fall color.

No picture of the lighthouse? :(

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Anyone here have experience with Mt. Saint Helens in winter? It's been a bit dry around these parts so far with the exception of the last few days, but I'm trying to get it in before the permit season. I've got snowshoes, but so far at least on the eastern flanks of the Olympics they've been entirely unnecessary.

Also if anyone has ever been up El Dorado Peak in the North Cascades I'd appreciate advice on timing.

Oh yeah, and if any BC or Canadian goons have any advice on Garibaldi I'd appreciate that, too.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

PRADA SLUT posted:

Waterproof iPhone 5(s) case that I don't have to gently caress around with all sorts of stupid bullshit if I want to take a picture with it?

Lifeproof?

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Vaga posted:

St. Helens has a ton of snow right now. You'll defiantly need the snow shoes.

As for Eldorado you can climb it all year round at least the E. ridge route as long as the Cascade River Road is open all the way to mile marker 20.

Check out http://www.summitpost.org/ lots of good info on every mountain you could ever want to climb.

Thanks. I've used Summit Post a ton, just was wondering if this time of the year is a good time (assuming favorable weather).

As for St. Helens having a ton of snow, that's good and exactly what I wanted.

PRADA SLUT posted:

I've just heard mixed reviews on many of them, so I was hoping someone would have more first-hand experience.

I have one. They're spendy, they won't save your phone if you smash the face of it on a rock. They will save it from random falls onto hard surfaces (up to a certain height, anyway) and into shallow water. I also like it because comparatively speaking the case is a much lower profile than say an otterbox.

The only downside to me is the charging hinge/port and headphone adapter. Not a problem on the trail because I don't need access to that, but if it's something you're worried about, welp.

HarryPurvis posted:

Sounds like I should at least invest in some decent gaiters and maybe softshell pants.

Get the gaiters, consider the softshell pants. I carry mine (the pants) with me everywhere just in case (PNW) because I don't mind the extra weight, but I've only ever used them for extended glissading. OR gaiters are great and reasonably priced and they're handy for more than just trudging in deep snow. If you expect to glissade and don't want pantlegs full of snow, they'll cut down on some of that. They'll also help keep bugs out, and hell I've stepped in water up to the top of the gaiters and they didn't let much through so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Snowshoed in the rain Sunday. Stayed warm, got wet, saw a large avalanche.

Shoulda gone higher. :(