Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Rockybar posted:

Praying for the day when this is socially acceptable, for now I have to wear a pair of shameful shorts with them :(
As long as you're not in a lot of brush/etc., nothing beats hiking in thin tights. Great for sun protection, great for sweating, great for keeping the breeze off you.

If you think you look dumb, lose weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Start before daylight, you'll be fine. Water is hard to find a bit above treeline, so bring plenty (depending on time of year; lots of snow this year, so who knows).

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Might be tough to get get a firm lock on the heel, and the shoe may move around easier due to not being more firmly attached to your foot via the ankle lacing. Depends on the binding, really, and the weight of the snow shoe.

Not impossible, but definitely not the best practice.

I only own one pair of snowshoes, MSR lighting ascents, but they're pretty beefy.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jun 2, 2016

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

bongwizzard posted:

I am starting to think my enjoyment of hiking/backpacking is much less about nature and more about solitude, as noting in that post about Yosemite sounds appealing at all.

You are also most certainly perceiving yourself correctly

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Feedbacker posted:

In Wyoming, the Wind River Range.
Go look at the Tetons, maybe hike a day or two, then go to the Winds.

Prepare appropriately. It can get rugged.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

The sawyer mini is garbage, don't buy it. The normal one is fine. I think it gets clogged a little more than people let on, but I still use it because it's so light.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Atticus_1354 posted:

I have a down sleeping bag that accidentally got left in my truck for several months. Now it smells musty and awful. What is the best way to wash a down bag? Laundromat or dry cleaner? What detergent or soap do I want?

Unrelated, but has anyone spent much time in the Gila wilderness in Feb? I may have some available time and money for a short camping trip, but I have only really been in NM during the summer months. Also what are the rules on dogs in the wilderness areas?
i used a down wash and a front loading washing machine, and a large dryer (at a laudromat). It took hours to dry, with some tennis balls in there.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Any recommendations on any of those routes? Trying to plan which I want to be primary, secondary, third.
The third is the one I'd go for: Far more remote, far fewer people. The elevations in GNP aren't nearly as high as in Colorado or Wyoming, so I think it's doable over a few nights. There is a similar problem with this route as your first, in that there are no shuttles on Highway 2, so you'll be hitching or otherwise relying on other people's transportation. Or, I dunno... Uber? Cell reception isn't always great on that highway, though, and I've never done that.

e: I will say, you can't really gently caress this up. The whole place is achingly gorgeous, and the permitting system prevents you from really bumping into a lot of people once you're in the backcountry.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

For some reason I missed the "June" part of that. I've been there then.

Good loving luck.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Yeah after hearing from this board and speaking to the rangers a June trip just sounds like it'd be a frustrating experience. So it's off for this year.

My other idea for an epic June trip was the Rim To Rim at the Grand Canyon but that sounds boiling hot swamp rear end awful in June. So back to the drawing board.

Also public service announcement: ENCHANTMENTS LOTTERY START!

This will be I believe my seventh year entering in. I'm hopeful that they are cutting down on everyone in a group submitting a separate entry this year but who knows.
Southern Colorado is usually alright by mid-June, you'd usually only be encountering heavy snow about 13k or so.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

It's so hard to suss out sarcasm sometimes

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Headlamp-Reviews/Petzl-E-PlusLITE

I take this on trips as long as you reference. Depending on your exact needs, it could be enough. I don't hike a lot at night, but I'll set up camp.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 4, 2017

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Summit Mountain Lodge on Route 2 is the best food around and a fantastic deal. Proper steakhouse stuff. Glacier Grill and Pizza in Columbia Falls is my go to on that side.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

REI's big sale is this weekend, with some pretty good deals and that 20% off coupon (even better at REI Garage), but, look everywhere because places like Backcountry are matching or beating them on tons of stuff.

I just bought a Helium II for 25% off and free two-day shipping on backcountry.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I did the John Muir Trail a few years ago, which wasn't all that isolated. We saw other hikers all the time and the trail was improved in many places -- there were bridges, bear boxes in some campsites, ranger cabins just off the trail, etc. And I went with a group of 3 other people, who were nice to have for company. I had been worried it might be lonely or dull to be out in the mountains for two and a half weeks, and it occasionally was, but overall I did pretty well mentally while I was on the trail. Had a little bit of trouble reintegrating when I got back but that's another story.

So, through-hikers: what's a longer backpacking trip like for you? I've checked out some trail journals but no one has really addressed what it feels like to be alone in remote places for so long. I'm wondering if you tend to keep feeling okay after hiking for 2+ months. I know that the PCT and the AT are not that solitary, because lots of folks go for a through-hike, but it seems like you might really badly miss your loved ones and feel a lot of loneliness and repetitiveness in your day-to-day hiking. Was this ever a problem for you? I'm thinking of doing 6-8 weeks on the PCT (Tuolumne Meadows up to Redding or Ashland, perhaps), and I'm just wondering about how other hikers have kept up their mental/emotional well-being during the hike.
Backpacking alone is my therapy. Years ago, my first time hiking alone was challenging. I was alone, no one to talk to or share anything with, and had no recourse (can't turn around and go home 11 miles from the car at 8pm). I cried, slept like poo poo.

The next morning was one of the most memorable I've ever had. I woke up to this:

I made it fine. I was on a month long or so drive up the Rockies, camping and photographing and doing whatever. I was in the Winds for six days after that. My first night there was the same, but then things changed.

What was loneliness, difficulty, desperation, and fright turned into complete freedom from obligation, distraction, and noise. I only saw three people those days.

I don't bring books with me or write anything. I make photos, but I don't kill myself for anything. I hike alone to BE alone, because I've learned a lot, maybe everything, that I value about myself in doing so. I come back and appreciate, and understand, what is important to me: my relationships, my health, and the small things that add small flavors to my life. Hiking alone has given me a distinct sense of my place in the world, and how short my time is with it.

Anyway, hiking the PCT or something for a few weeks, you'll come across plenty of people, so you don't have to be concerned about going mad. Be prepared, however, for genuinely changing how you see life, daily activities, work, and what you do with your time. Not really a bad thing, you'll not be surprised to hear me say, but challenging in it's own way, sometimes.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Bustelo Supremo instant coffee is pretty loving good while hiking. Especially at altitude, it tastes like heaven. Much better than the Starbucks via, and much cheaper.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

It comes in a glass bottle, I just put some in a ziploc bag. Two scoops per ~8 ounces does me well.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

That's some music festival garbage

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

There are plenty of places to go hike for long periods of time that aren’t the AT

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Rolo posted:

Did 10.5 miles today in my new ExOfficio undies and wow. Totally dry, barely smell like my butt.

I will treasure these.
They last forever, I have some that are almost ten years old and I've only thrown them away because the elastic has worn out/I've lost weight.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

LordAdakos posted:

Been dreaming of an AT NOBO thru hike for years.
Now I have the time because I lost my job but who knows what the 2021 AT season will look like. If the winter months for the virus are as bad as people say they are going to be, I worry that everything will be locked down in the spring next year.
I'm not backpacking for the first time in ten years. It sucks, but I'm using the time (and time away from work/most other obligations) to train like an insane person. Next year, or whenever, I can make up time.

That's how I'm looking at it. It's the safest way for everyone.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

LordAdakos posted:

I feel like I'm not training nearly enough. Before the quarantine hit, I was at the gym 5 times a week, mostly heavy lifting, some cardio.
Since then I've been walking a few miles a day.

Any suggestions on how to prepare?? Just find a hilly area and throw on my pack and walk up and down for a few hours?
Run

I’ve trained a million ways, stair steppers, mock ‘hikes’ (long walks) with a weighted pack, just lifting, etc. I don’t live in an area with mountains, so I can’t simply ‘hike’ to train. In the end, the answer is and has been:

Run

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Cyrano4747 posted:

As an aside, if this thread thinks that it would be a better fit over there I'm open to talking about that. I don't want to force moves on threads that are happy where they are, but I do think that some of the more specifically outdoors threads might be a better fit over there. Of course if this rebooted forum doesn't take off the threads will be moved back to their original homes before it's shuttered.
I just have this thread bookmarked, if it makes more sense to be somewhere else, I say do it.

I know about the hiking forum but yeah, it's always pretty dead. if moving this thread is helpful, see above,

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

embrace fiber supplements, and find true regularity

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

*Person dying in valley alone because Garmin ignores their SOS after their recurring billing doesnt go through due to someone stealing their card number*

"Heh, shoulda got a PLB, loser! Check your account! Gotta make a profit you know, no freeriders"

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

i would be so pissed if i went backpacking and saw 150 people, gently caress

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I went gung ho on a tarp a couple years ago after reading about them forever. Got a six moon designs number with all the fixings, a bivy bag/bug net thing so I could sleep without the tarp sometimes, etc. the first couple nights were genuinely awesome, sleeping more exposed with the flaps pulled back was great, and it went up and down really fast.

Then i had to weather a thunderstorm.

Four hours of terror. Water everywhere. What do you know, all the water that falls on the tarp pools and then runs under it!! No bivy bag is comfortable then. There was supposed to be some sort of bathtub floor, but it collapsed with the slightest movement.

I threw that loving thing in the garbage at the trailhead the next evening, after practically running 16 miles out, through more afternoon rain, because I knew it wouldn’t make it another night.

Went back to my Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1 and slept soundly ever since.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

xzzy posted:

Coffee is gross, kill your coffeemaker!
get a load of this guy

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

whats the latest hotness on smartphone apps for downloading hiking maps? I use something called 'maps 3d' that i've used for years, and it's fine i guess? it feels like every app i've used for ten years is fine for a while, then starts putting things behind paywalls even if you've already paid.

i'm perfectly happy paying for apps and things, just as long as, you know, they don't keep making me pay over and over

anyone have something they wanna push?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Gaia is the one that wanted me to start paying for things i had already paid for :(

i really liked it, i backcountry hike a lot and having satellite overlays of maps and able to upload .kml layers was aces, but i got mad when they switched to subscriptions after i had supposedly "paid" for the app in whole years ago

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

what is this FarOut app about? I see it referenced in guides for long distance trails; i get the impression it's not for me, but idk?

waffle enthusiast posted:

Gaia is wired up into the Outside ecosystem now, for better or worse, though I think they’ve always been subscription based? I don’t mind the OnX offering, but it feels like you can get a lot of that for free from CalTopo or similar. I imagine if you are a hunter or do overlanding it would be more attractive. But since I primarily backpack, hike, and fly fish, I really dig the NatGeo map layers you get with Gaia. That said, an awful lot of iNfLuEncErS seem to use OnX so, YMMV.

I also use AllTrails (free version) an awful lot to get beta on the places I decide I want to go to. For example right now it’s extremely valuable to determine whether or not there are impassible snow drifts on the way to wherever.
yeah it was when they got hooked up with Outside that i was asked to pay for things i got for free with my "purchase" of the app. i bought it ~10 years ago

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

SirPhoebos posted:

I'm planning a camping trip to the Pacific NW for the last week of September. Haven't settled on the details, but I'd like to visit one of the National Parks in the region (Crater Lake, North Cascades, Rainer or Olympia). However the time window of the trip will fall after the campgrounds stop taking reservations and are open on a first-come-first-serve basis. My question is how much trouble will I have just finding an open camp? I estimate that I'll be reaching the park between 1 and 3 Pacific Time.
these are all quite far from one another, even cascades and olympic which might seem close. just fyi.

i just spent a week on the west side of the olympics. i've backpacked solo my entire adult life. i'll give my full recommendation to spend time there; i've only had a couple of moments of genuine, continued, vocal exasperation at how magnificent a place is. hiking among the old growth found there was one of them.

if you go, i'll pay attention to this thread and PM you what appears to be a very poorly known place that is a genuine treasure.

e: if you're looking at fall, the river valleys of the olympics are still hikable then. they're all quite long and beautiful, very easy hiking. at the end you'll get elevation change, but only after 10-20 miles. it's quite rainy, of course, but man will it be alive

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 22, 2023

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

me, hiking through a forest with some trees nearly 1000 years old so thick i can't see the next old tree 40 feet in front of me, yelling "oh holy poo poo" when i'm face to face with yet another ancient tree beast, standing on top of ground that is full of hundreds, maybe thousands (???) of years of dead things

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Natty Ninefingers posted:

Any recommendations on of a valley in particular?

SirPhoebos posted:

I'm planning a camping trip to the Pacific NW for the last week of September. Haven't settled on the details, but I'd like to visit one of the National Parks in the region (Crater Lake, North Cascades, Rainer or Olympia). However the time window of the trip will fall after the campgrounds stop taking reservations and are open on a first-come-first-serve basis. My question is how much trouble will I have just finding an open camp? I estimate that I'll be reaching the park between 1 and 3 Pacific Time.
caveat: i was there in the relative off-season. i stayed away from busier places, like sol duc and crescent lake, which are beautiful.

based upon my trip, i'd really recommend the Enchanted Valley, an area roughly 13 miles in on the south fork of the Quinalt River. it's rainier in the fall, so you should see the proper waterfalls everywhere. it's a large open area surrounded by waterfalls, and the hike has lots of bigleaf maple, along with the douglas fir/cedar/hemlock forest

I would also strongly recommend hiking along the Queets river, but it requires a fording of the river, which might be higher and faster by the time you're there. it was halfway up my thighs, and i'm 5' 8". should you decide to do so, to the right about 80 yards is the best place to cross, where there is a berm in the middle of the river that makes things more straightforward. poles are a must. If you go this route, there is a weird spot where the trail dips into what was at the time a dry pebbled stream bed, and that is the actual trail. there looks to be a path on the other side, but it leads to bushwacking (though it's not exactly tough there). stick to the map.

I also hiked about ten miles of the Hoh river. It was indeed beautiful, and good views of mount olympus. I think i'm in the minority in thinking other places are more spectacular, but i'm also sensitive to crowds so that probably clouds my vision. there were definitely some real "oh wow" moments there.

the coast along the ocean is also beautiful, though i spent only a little time there. the tidal pools available at state parks along the strait are far more interesting. Cape Flattery is worth it if you have the time.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 23, 2023

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

the SMELLS out there are just something else. taking a break and boiling up some silver fir tea (steep it ten minutes) is one of those chef's kiss moments

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

xzzy posted:

In my hunt for old growth in NA, Washington seemed like it had the most amount of uncut woodland. Or at least above average. Is that perception accurate in any way?

I'm trying to visit one grove every summer because I really feel like they're going to be dying off over the next 10-20 years.
i've been through old growth in the rockies. this is different. the cedar/hemlock forests of western glacier are close, and beautiful. but, the olympics are, in my personal experience, life-changing. I've just never been anywhere like that.

there are tiny bits of tall, old, growth in colorado and wyoming, but they're more ponderosa pine forests and have a different character altogether. beautiful and enriching, but, it's just different further west.

keep in mind, at higher elevations some of those spruce trees you see that are krummholz are likely approaching 1000 years old

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Yeah they’re next on the list; that changed after this most recent visit. I have a friend near the Olympics that I need to see more often, but I may drive from Northern California through Oregon to get to him next time to see the redwoods and other things

Plenty of time to figure out where to go without people

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

your best bet is probably to contact them. not sure how helpful they'll be, but sometimes it's surprising.

in pack chat, i bought an osprey exos back when they were new to the market in like 2012 or whatever. it finally gave up the ghost last year, accumulating too many issues that they could not repair. they did indeed replace it for free.

i explicitly asked the person who helped me "so if this bag ever needs repairs that cannot be done... will it be replaced as well?" and the explicit answer was "yes."

...cool

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

euphronius posted:

Must be nice to have mountains

Very jealous

Airplanes exist

Even in Pennsylvania

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

i'm beginning planning of a trip to see redwoods next year

anyone have tips on good stands? i don't care what it takes to get there. I'm looking for stands of redwoods outside of the park and away from crowds... though i will visit that too. i'm just beginning to look for information.