Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swimgus
Oct 24, 2005
Camlin bought me this account because I'm a Jew!
How acceptable are trip reports in this thread? Because I just got back from 5 days of camping all over Western and Central Colorado, and it was awesome.

My friend was driving from the Bay Area to Austin, so we decided to meet in the four corners and do some car camping. The four corners is 8ish hours from my house in Denver, and I hate driving, so I camped out in the Grand Mesa NF after 3 hours or so. There were seriously clouds of mosquitoes there, but it was beautiful:

The next day I met my friend in Dolores and we spent a couple of days hiking in the Canyons of the Ancients. Here's some Ancestral Pueblo cliff dwellings:

Then we drove to Pagosa Springs and checked out the newly minted National Monument at Chimney Rock on the way. Really cool place. Then we camped on the Blanco River in the San Juan NF. Chimney Rock ruins:

We split up in Chama, NM the next day, and I drove about halfway and camped in the Collegiate Peaks Wilderness. I've been here three or four times now; it's one of my favorite places. I've climbed Belford twice and Oxford once, so I went for this guy early the next morning, Missouri Mountain:

I think it looks harder than it is. It was actually one of the easier of the six fourteeners I've climbed. It was maybe 8 or 9 miles round trip and not nearly as steep as Belford/Oxford. The switchbacks at the beginning suck, and there was a slightly sketchy patch of snow on a steep part of the trail but besides that, it wasn't too difficult. I think it took about 7 hours to get up and back.

View from the top:

Then I was really tired and drove back to Denver and took a shower.

I wasn't that outdoorsy until I moved here a few years ago, but I am loving the mountains, and I can't wait to get back out there. We managed to avoid all of the wildfires, saw cool archaeology, and I hiked a fourteener. Best vacation I've had in a long time.

swimgus fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swimgus
Oct 24, 2005
Camlin bought me this account because I'm a Jew!

Ropes4u posted:

I understand the trail to piles peak will be busy but this will not , I hope, be the last 14er we tackle and I would like to sort out my setup. I'm with four people (22-37) who have little experience in the mountains and would prefer to be over prepared.

Pike's Peak is seriously long for a day hike, at least the trail I took, Barr trail, I think. I think it was 25 miles round trip. Your list of stuff should get you there and back, but I think if I went up that mountain again, I'd do it as an overnight trip. I remember that as a really long and brutal hike. Good luck.