Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

REI is offering the Osprey Aether 70 next week for $205 (normally $280). Has anyone used this particular pack before? I have a Talon 22 and have really liked it. I've never purchased a multi-day pack--how many days would this be good for?

http://www.rei.com/product/846410/osprey-aether-70-pack

Would anyone recommend something else instead?

How do you know about this sale in advance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
Tomorrow morning I'm going with a friend of mine up to see how close we can get to the Palisade glaciers up near Lonepine in Eastern California. I have some new MSR snowshoes and I hope I get to use them.

I live in the SFV in Los Angeles and we should get a goon hiking trip together soon.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
I can get one piece of arcteryx gear for something like 60% off with the deal through my work ending on thursday.

I need a backpack that fits me better than my gregory baltoro 65 but I was looking at those new AG ospreys, and I have decent clothing from other manufacturers including a patagonia down jacket and a decent REI rain jacket.

What should I buy/upgrade, goons?

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006

Speleothing posted:

Powdered alcohol is hitting the shelves this summer and is specifically designed for backcountry use

Pats backcountry beverages beer concentrate is actually pretty delicious. I've only had the
Pail Rail but as LNG as you do it correctly and don't skimp on the shaking to carbonate the beer then it's great.

Rontalvos
Feb 22, 2006
I've been looking at packs for about 2 weeks and haven't been able to make up my mind.

After having multiple people measure me at REI (where I work) I appear to have an 18.5 inch torso. I'm 5'11" and 160lbs and I can't seem to figure this out.

Years ago I bought a gregory baltoro 70 in medium and everybody at work agrees it's too big for me. It rubs on my lower back and literally rubbed my skin off on my last trip.

-I tried an Osprey Atmos AG in both small and medium and the hip belt was too small on the small but the shoulders were perfect, and the pack is not customizable so I can't swap small/medium belts.
I've now tried a gregory baltoro 65 in small, but the little back plate is uncomfortable.
-I tried a gregory z65 in small and something is a little off but I'm not sure what. The shoulder straps are also kind of uncomfortable. I tried an Osprey Aether 60 in small and the shoulder straps are a dream but the hip belt is uncomfortable. Specifically, the way the hip belt comes up over the front of my hip bones makes that area extremely hot within a minute or two of the pack being on, and I experience a mild burning sensation after a few minutes.

On long hikes with my current gregory I have shoved a sock into each side of my pelvic V which has pulled the hip belt off my hip bones to ease this discomfort.

The most comfortable pack I've tried on has been an Osprey Exos 58. I don't know if this is confirmation bias because I have been looking for lighter packs in an attempt to go all-lightweight throughout my gear or not though. After trying the Aether last night I think this may be because the hip belt is pretty small and doesn't go over the front of my hip bones.

I've had 4 employees at my store and one at another try to help me to no avail. What advice do you goons have?

Rontalvos fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 2, 2015