Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blista compact
Mar 12, 2006
whats a fyad :(
So I'm looking into getting a small solar charger for a thru hike this summer. Needs to be able to keep an mp3 player topped off and charge a camera. Also needs to charge a petzl headlamp and recharge my cell phone about once a week. It sounds like a lot, but most of the items either don't pull that much power, or they get very little power use per day.

I'm thinking of getting one of the cheaper battery/solar chargers on amazon like this one: http://www.amazon.com/Poweradd-trade-Apollo-Portable-USB-charged/dp/B00DLUYSPO/ref=zg_bs_2407762011_2
Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blista compact
Mar 12, 2006

In my experience you're going to run into late day foot fatigue using the Minimus as a trail walker. I had great results using Altras this summer. They're essentially Keen running shoes and they have two trail runner models that work great: Lone Peaks are the go to for many people, but I ended up liking the Olympus for the huge padding. Beware that they are zero drop shoes so they take a little getting used to. Also, the Olympus model gets you pretty high off the trail and you might roll your ankle a little more than a normal trail runner.

blista compact
Mar 12, 2006

HEY VAPER posted:

How good are they? I've been using ski poles abandoned by a friend as trekking poles because I'm A Poor and it would be nice to get something I can put on my backpack & actually be able to set my pack down without spending 100 dollars. Do they telescope/do they weigh a ton? 25 bucks is a good price for poles.

My friend used the carbon collapsing poles from Costco this summer with no issues for over 400 miles. I think they're like 40 bux or less.

blista compact
Mar 12, 2006

Levitate posted:

I've heard external frame packs are making a comeback somewhat now that people use lighter materials but the biggest gear enthusiasts are probably likely to be lightweight advocates who don't need the volume and comfort benefits as much.

Spent the summer using the Exos series from Osprey. It's super dope. Around 2 lbs and can carry nearly 100 percent of pack weight on your hips. I felt very comfortable with 15-20 lbs in it, but I think it's rated to like 35lbs. Definitely a step up from the REI Flash pack I was using before that.

Re: trailrunner chat: everyone on the PCT uses the Brooks Cascadias, Altra Lone Peaks, or the La Sportiva Wildcats. Gotta be a reason for that...

blista compact
Mar 12, 2006

Levitate posted:

I've heard pretty good things about the exos but I love my ULA

Oh yeah, I was totally in the minority with the Exos. 50 percent or more of people had the ULA circuit and some were even downsizing to the OHM (incredible pack btw).

blista compact
Mar 12, 2006

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

I'd venture to guess those specific runners are the shoe of choice because the PCT is so long, and only WA/OR is all that wet, so a more protected/durable/reliable upper would make more sense to bring than a quick drainer. Yeah I'd go for a runner on the more maximalist side on a super long hike like that, but if I'm just using them for dayhikes and short backpacks I'm not too worried about the minimalist type catastrophically failing.

Yeah, that and those shoes last about 400-600 miles so anything less durable and you're looking at a new pair of shoes like every 3rd resupply.

Darn tough socks are insane. You can get them for sub 15 dollars if you look in the right places online.

blista compact
Mar 12, 2006

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

I've gotten similar-to-more durability out of some of the newer minimalist type runners, but reliability's one of those things where you always want to go with the tried and true option even though a better shoe might be available. So it always takes a few years for new tech stuff to find its way on the bigger hikes. A new shoe design could come out and change everything and be the best thing since sliced bread, but you won't see it hit people's PCT lists until they've used that shoe for a year or two.

I'd disagree. People are always out to find the best replacement for their gear when they're in a big resupply town. I switched shoes 3/4 of the way through because I needed some more cushion. People switched out pads, tents, backpacks. I think people just gravitate to those choices (especially the Cascadias) because they work the best for long distance hiking.
Durability really is huge.

blista compact
Mar 12, 2006
The Leatherman keychain tools are pretty great if you can snag one on sale:

http://www.leatherman.com/style-cs-24.html#prefn1=2&prefn2=sizecategory&prefv2=Keychain-Size&prefv1=true&start=2

blista compact
Mar 12, 2006
If you're going ultralight, or just light, quilts are killer. Usually they're cheaper along with being lighter. Also, they're one of the easiest sewing projects to start out on if you're willing to go that route. Total fabric and insulation costs for the two I've made are under 70 bucks apiece and I've taken mine down to the high teens with clothes on (NOT recommended). I'm 6'2" and mine only weights 25 oz. Also its synthetic cause its way easier to sew.

The best way I've found to add warmth to a quilt if you need it is a super lightweight bivy bag. Again, another easy thing to sew. Under 10 bux in materials and about 6 oz. It helps keep the quilt wrapped around you and nearly eliminates drafts.

blista compact
Mar 12, 2006

Blinkman987 posted:

Tried on the Houdini today. I was impressed, but also worried that I'd tear the thing within a month. The sleeves are fine, wish they were a half inch longer. I wish the body was an inch longer. I really liked it otherwise and may still buy it. My local place seems to clearance them out at $49 when the seasons change.

Being long in the legs is about 1 million times easier than being long in the torso and arms.

I would not worry about the durability of the Houdini. I wore it for about 90 days last summer for probably 2-3 hours a day with no washes inbetween and it's still going strong. It's the most durable windshirt that I've seen.

blista compact
Mar 12, 2006

Hackan Slash posted:

What's the "best-value" option for trekking poles?

I've never used them before and I'd like to start. Plus, I'll need them to keep my new tent up.

The poles will ultimately be for a week long backpacking trip in Yosemite. I realize I should practice with them before then.

Costco has CARBON trekking poles for 35 bucks. I'm not kidding. My friend used them for 500 miles of the PCT last year. I just picked up a pair to replace my old ones last week.

I was at REI the other day and they looked identical to the REI carbon poles that sell for 130.

If you don't believe me then at least listen to Andrew Skurka: http://andrewskurka.com/2012/costco-trekking-poles/

edit: Just read through the Skurka thing, the Costco poles have lever style locks now, so the only bad thing he had to say about them is no longer an issue.

blista compact fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 28, 2015

blista compact
Mar 12, 2006

king of the bongo posted:

Finding non waterproof, low cut day hiking and trail shoes is proving to be pretty annoying. They all run really narrow for some reason. Are the merrel moabs any good? The people at the store said they don't offer much support and didn't have much positive to say about it. The hoka one one challenger atr feels amazing but they feel like they will fall apart pretty fast if you use them for anything other than pure running. I was just going to try the new balance mt1210 leadvilles tomorrow since they seem decent on paper and have wide options. Anything else I am missing? Oboz felt good but rubs against my ankles. Vasque felt odd on my foot with the fit in the store.

I had a pair of salomon xa pro 3d that the upper mesh ripped across the top of my foot and the soles edges fell apart so I am hesitant to buy them again but might cause they are pretty much what I want in a shoe even though the wides fit a bit tight for the first few weeks.

Try some Altras. Olympus or Lone Peaks.

blista compact
Mar 12, 2006

whatupdet posted:

Good to know, what brand(s) are good for lightweight?

It all depends on what support you want. The magic number for a fully supported pack is about 2 pounds, you cant really get below that without making the pack out of expensive and not durable material like cuben.

The ULA Circuit is the "numba 1 pack" in the fully supported 2 pound range, but I really, really like my Osprey Exos Pack and it weighs a little less and costs a quite a bit less.

Unsupported packs aren't really my thing, so someone else will have to chime in there.

blista compact
Mar 12, 2006

n8r posted:

I'd say this is the most likely explanation.

Most of the time when camping directly on snow you want to put a CCF pad under another pad. That or get that crazy expensive inflatable, reflective, internally insulated NeoAir Xtherm.

blista compact
Mar 12, 2006

Heners_UK posted:

Wondering if an REI Flash 45 might be in my future? http://www.rei.com/product/862884/rei-flash-45-pack

So I used this bag for about 1500 miles last year on the PCT, well 2 of them. This bag doesn't have a traditional frame in the back, only the two support poles on the side. This does make it very comfortable and it moves with you as they advertise, but you really can't load it with more than about 25lbs of stuff without it buckling in the back. I ended up folding the framesheet over in both of the packs after about 500 miles and they lost a lot of ability to hold weight on my hips.

Ended up replacing it with an Osprey Exos 38 which is a much better pack in every way for the same amount of weight.

All that being said, 60 bucks is a rippin deal on the pack and as long as you keep the weight down it will work great.

blista compact
Mar 12, 2006

Levitate posted:

Also very true! If only they could be made to weigh a couple of ounces. Where are my space age materials

http://www.ursack.com/

These are super dope. I carried a canister when I was on the JMT as part of my PCT thru, but I will only use an ursack in the future. Only 8 ounces compared to 2 ish pounds for most canisters.
Most of the bear encounters on the PCT were in areas north of Tahoe after everyone had sent their canisters home. An Ursack encourages the use of bearproof containers at all times. Plus they're wicked effective against critters which are most of the problem out hiking anyways.

blista compact
Mar 12, 2006
Just a heads up on Zions and Brions. Their quality control is terrible. Go to the rack at whatever store you're buying them at and compare leg openings. I've seen differences of over an inch between pants marked identically.

I would suggest taking an armful to the changing room and trying them all on. I have 3 pairs of Zions, two that are baggy for climbing and one that is slim fit for day to day use. They're all marked 32Wx34L

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blista compact
Mar 12, 2006

Internet Wizard posted:

This might seem obvious, but since I’ve never seen or heard of these issues despite loving Prana and spending a couple seasons working at REI, here goes

Are you sure these variations aren’t because of the (very poorly marked and often intermixed) differences between regular and slim cuts?

They're all the same pant, same size.

Have a look at Prana's own website. You can see clear differences between the different colors:

https://www.prana.com/p/stretch-zion-pant/M4ST99116.html?dwvar_M4ST99116_color=Charcoal&pos=4

I was holding the same color, same size pants in the store with clear differences between them.