Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Got a big STEM up my asshole.

Is there a rule of thumb for how much water to carry (per mile or per hour?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

So maybe two liters if its decent weather and you're somewhere like a forest, double that if its hot or you're exposed?

Also, I've been using a Flash 18 for some ~8-10 mile hikes. Part of the stitching tore out recently so I'm going to exchange it. I was thinking of swapping it out for an Osprey Talon 22 for the extra organization.

Opinions on that backpack? Would I be better off with the Flash 18/22 for half the price and just getting sacks to organize things in it?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

One other question--which CamelBack/hydration system should I be looking at? I've read a lot of reviews about leakage on the new ones. Is 100 the standard all-around size or would a 70 be okay for day hikes?

A liter of water is roughly 2lbs, correct?

Something like this? http://amzn.com/B002QX3UJ2

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

I was just concerned since it seems like reviewers are always talking about how X is prone to leaking.

It's between this

Platypus Big Zip SL 3-Liter Hands-Free Hydration System http://amzn.com/B001KZGYLS

or

Camelbak 100 oz/3.0L MG Omega Water Beast Reservoir http://amzn.com/B002QX3UJ2

I've never used one of these before, do I need anything else to go with it? Anything that might just be useful?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

REI is offering the Osprey Aether 70 next week for $205 (normally $280). Has anyone used this particular pack before? I have a Talon 22 and have really liked it. I've never purchased a multi-day pack--how many days would this be good for?

http://www.rei.com/product/846410/osprey-aether-70-pack

Would anyone recommend something else instead?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

So a 70L might be overkill for just a few days, I would be better off looking into around 40L if I'm doing ~3 days?

Do you just strap your tent on the bottom underneath the sleeping bag? I've only recently started hiking, so none of my packs have ever had some of the things that hiking packs do.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

I have a 22L Osprey for day trips, I was just concerned that having a pack too large could gently caress you up if its not stuffed full.

The Osprey 70L would be strictly for overnight+ hikes. I could just fill it with what I need then shove an extra jacket or change of clothes in there and squeeze the compression straps to get it to fit better even though its not "full", correct?

I've been led to believe that it's a horrible thing if your pack is under-packed.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

I have their Titanium Spork and I always carry it with me in my pack. Seriously.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

I have a Swiss Army Knife that I keep in my pack when day hiking.

Would it be smart to have another knife with me as well if I'm doing multiday hikes, like a survival knife or just something larger?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

I picked up the Aether 70, Half-dome 2, headlamp, two pairs of Prana Zions (the best pants), and an extra first aid kit.

I still need to figure out what to spend my 20% on. :sigh: Maybe a jacket.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 18, 2013

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

I have one more gear question.

REI has the Arc'teryx Beta AR jacket on sale for $299 ($475).

I tried one on and really liked it, and every reviewer has nothing but good things to say about it. I will absolutely spend the big money if it's a piece that I will end up keeping forever, but I'd still like a goonpinion before spending $300 on a rain jacket. I would be using this for basically everything, from hiking, backpacking, anything outdoorsy (fishing, etc), wearing to a sporting event, etc.

Is there anything I should know about upkeep or treatment of a jacket like this? Can you stuff it in a backpack or will that somehow damage it? How long are these expected to last? Anyone have one?

The salesman at REI told me it was his favorite jacket he owns, and it should be treated for re-waterproofing every 3 washes or so.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 19, 2013

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

I would rather just drop serious cash and get something that I'm glad I have every time I use it.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

On gear: I don't have very much gear, but everything I have I absolutely love, and it is my favorite item I could possibly get of that kind. I justify buying expensive pieces by having only one of them, keeping it forever, and every time I use it, I think "god drat I'm glad I bought this".

This is literally my only outdoor rain jacket:

welp

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 21, 2013

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

A general rule is that if the ingredients are shelf stable before cooking, they will be after cooking. I've made my own bars before but never had them more than two weeks.

Although maybe a little stale after a month.

No butter, no milk, sweeten/bind with honey or molasses.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

For gear that gets taken between multiple packs (compass, knife, matches, etc), does anyone have a system so they don't forget things? Just throw it in a stuff sack and move it from pack to pack?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

I mean a system to prevent forgetting things in your other pack because you're taking a different one out than last time. Clean out your pack of "transferrable" items after going out and throw it all in a stuff sack?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

How often?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Does anyone know a fairly easy overnight hike in northern Oregon-ish?

I'm taking MY GIRLFRIEND and I don't want anything too extreme. This would be her first overnight with me.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

I'm late on daypackchat but I love my Osprey Talon 22

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Book on edible plants?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Are fixed or folding knives generally preferred for multiday hikes?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

I have a Beta AR and it balls out of control

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

It should just snap and work, I have one. No need to gently caress with it.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

I have an odd question about Everest.

If you theoretically had unlimited normal oxygen, are you still on a "timer" once you hit the death zone because of other effects of the altitude, or are your only hazards things that would kill you anywhere else (cold, food, etc)?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

I've heard of a trail running through Ecola Park to Seaside, in Oregon, like a 30-mile trail. Does anyone know anything about this? I can't seem to find information other than the existence of the Ecola state park and a few random 2-8 mile trails. Where's the trailhead even?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Not that I'm aware of. I think it's a combination of different trails. I know it's a pass-through.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Is there a youtube video that goes over basic wilderness first aid?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Are there biodegradable wet wipes or do you just get regular ones and haul them out with you? I'm getting conflicting options from Amazon.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Which Vibrams are the best suited for hiking?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

The toe shoes.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

You can pick up little REI first aid kits for cheap. Keep them in a plastic bag.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Not for hiking, but would anyone know of some thin, zero-support flip-flops? Like you can feel every rock under you, thin.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

It seems like half the time I try on a hiking jacket, its sized for a fat guy's girth.

Is it a thing to market outdoors clothing to people who never go outdoors?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

PCT?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

In general, is Arc'Teryx worth the premium?

I have a Beta AR and it's awesome, but what about other things, like their fleece or down jackets?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

I just did 10 miles in toe shoes, through dirt and rocks. No socks, those non-treaded toe shoes. I had absolutely no issues whatsoever.

If I were to get a dedicated pair of toe shoes for hiking, which would be recommended?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

I went to Ecola Park. It had just rained and four miles of the trail was literally a wet, ankle-deep mud pit. It took four hours to go through it.

Otherwise a nice place.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

I have a BD Cosmo and it's nice but a little weak for night hikes. If you need it incidentally it's fine, but the Storm would be better.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Prana Zions are my go-to for hiking, climbing, and yoga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

I love Icebreaker. I use their v-necks as day-to-day shirts.