Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crabby Abby
Apr 26, 2006

I'm the graph in the OP

Keyser S0ze posted:

Farther away but worth a visit off Hwy 49, this is the place with the nutcase stairs and fire lookout.

Sierra Buttes

Oh hey, I just got back from riding my bike up the Sierra Buttes. It turns out that not to be a great bike ride (too steep), but it's probably a good hike.

The stairs to get to the top reminded me of the Needles lookout which burned down back in 2011:

On the topic of tents, I have a passage 2 and it's awesome. It's very easy to setup and it has some pretty smart features that my previous $30 tent didn't. Features like pockets in the corners, a "shelf" hanging from the ceiling, and doors on both sides.) It's well worth the money. Unfortunately your best bet probably would have been to buy one last weekend when REI had their 20% off sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabby Abby
Apr 26, 2006

I'm the graph in the OP
Last weekend I finally had a chance to explore up above Mammoth & June Lake. I'd driven by a few times and the mountains looked impressive, but I didn't really know what was up there. I think a lot of people start trips to that area from Agnew meadow (or Yosemite if they're on the JMT), but I decided to start out from Silver Lake and go up the Rush Creek trail. It was easier to get a permit, and I didn't have to worry about catching the bus.

I went up to Thousand Island Lake:

Then over to Ediza:

And on to Iceberg Lake:

I wanted to keep going up to Cecil lake from Iceburg, but the trail appeared to fade out into a steep pile of scree so I decided to stay at Iceburg. There were a lot of people who seemed to have day hiked up from Ediza to Iceburg, but nobody else camped out there. It was great having it to myself. As the sun was setting, I decided to just run up the ridge bit by bit to stay in it for a little longer. If there had been other people around I probably would have felt more self conscious and just sat in camp.

It was my first night on my Xtherm pad, which I was very excited about. The pad was great when I first settled in - much warmer than my previous pads. However, when I woke up in the morning about a third of the air had leaked out. That really shouldn't happen on the first night. It must be a pretty slow leak, so I don't know if I'll be able to find it. I'll probably end up seeing if REI's return policy is as good as it's supposed to be.