Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006
I want to get back into backpacking, would consider myself pretty experienced. Done 1/2 of AT in one shot. Most of my gear should work but the only backpack I have is an arcteryx that fit me when I was 10 and doesnt fit me now that I am 26. Can anyone recomend any lightweightish but durable packs? Is the atmos 50 any good?

Also looking to get my girlfriend a pack, any lady recommendations for packs they have enjoyed?

DholmbladRU fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006
I have been a backpackers for many years, including a AT thru-hike attempt(~900 miles). However when I graduated from university and got a full time job, time got scarce. Well I found out my co-workers enjoy backpacking and we were planning a hike for labor day this year. Went to go get some gear ready and realized I cant find my pack, or gear... I was planning on getting a new pack and shelter anyways, but am really sad I cant find my AT book or some of the other items Ive hiked with for so long.

Can anyone recommend me the following items, I would like to go as UL as possible while keeping comfort

Pack(was looking at atmos 50)
2 wall tent
stove(used jet boil previously, like the speed)
water filtration(used drops previously)

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006

Tigren posted:

What's your budget like?

• Pack(was looking at atmos 50) Atmos will work great, or you can take a look at something like the ULA Circuit
  • 2 wall tent How many people? I use a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 which I really enjoy, but their Copper Spur is also great. Also look into the MSR Hubba (Hubba) or Tarptent (Double) Rainbow
  • stove(used jet boil previously, like the speed) Jetboil is still the way to go if you're just boiling water.
  • water filtration(used drops previously) Drops or Sawyer Mini plus bandanna to filter larger particles

Thanks for the recommendations. The ULA packs seem to have been popular choice with thru-hikers a few years ago. I will check them out. Was looking at maybe on of the 1man big anges tents, possibly the fly creek.

As far as the stove goes, I think jet boil might be a winner. I really liked the french press add-on when I had it. Also I think the jetboil out performs the pocket rocket on fuel usage

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006
I was thinking about the big agnes UL tents. But after reading some reviews I am not sure. I like to have a durable product that will last. I used the same arcteryx pack for ~10 years.

Does anyone have recommendations for shelters which are lightweight but still reasonably durable.

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006

Reformed Tomboy posted:

What Big Agnes tent were you looking at? I have a Fly Creek Platinum 1 tent and it's held up fine (though it is only a year old at this point). The material is really thin, but I don't foresee any issues with it as long as I keep treating it properly. How rough are you on your tents? I've never really understood the issues people have had with Big Agnes.

I do also have an old Hubba Hubba 2 tent (which someone else brought up earlier), but it's not what I would call UL. The new 2014 model is way lighter though, so it may be worth a look.

Was looking at the normal UL fly creek. Not necessarily rough with my tents. Had an marmot EOS1 for a little while, don't know if that's on par with the big agnes tents or not.

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006

dedian posted:

Kinda shelter related I guess - anybody hammock camp? I'm just getting back into backpacking and I'd like to get away from sleeping on the ground. I'm in MN and plan to do most of my outings in state forests or up north, so plenty of trees. Right now I'm planning on DIY'ing a double-layer hammock and using either an inflatable pad (that I already own) or a foam pad for some insulation between the layers, until I can afford quilts of any warmth. Is this a horrible idea? :D

Have you slept in a hammock before? If not I would maybe borrow one and test it out to see if you are able to.

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Granite Gear and GoLite both make some UL 50L packs for a decent price. There are a bunch of good tents out there now. The REI quarterdome is a good cheap 2 wall tent, LL Bean makes a backpacking tent thats pretty good, or you can go the tarp tent route if you really want to save on weight. For water filtration I use iodine if I'm going solo otherwise you can get some pump filters that work well when hiking with big groups where you can split up the weight. For stoves I like jet boils if I'm by myself or going really light otherwise I really love my Trangia for some more complex trail cooking.

Thanks for the input. I actually ended up finding my pack with all my gear in it, after I bought a new jetboil... But I will still be purchasing a new pack and sleep system.

I am not a fan with the golite products, customer service is good, but I had a shoulder strap rip out of the jam on a thru-hike after two days.

The packs I am looking at currently:
osprey exos 48
ula catalyst
osprey aether 60

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006
Picked up an osprey exos this past weekend. Seems like a nice durable light bag.

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006
Currently looking for another bag to add to my gear. Have a heavy heavy 10 degree bag which is synthetic. And I also have a marmot pounder which is rated to 40 but I dont know if itll go that low comfortably.

Anyways I am looking at picking up a quilt. And am debating on 20 vs 10*. This quilt will be used for hiking on the AT almost exclusively. Anyone have insights on this? I do enjoy some late fall early winter camping.

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006

Saint Fu posted:

I think it'll depend on what kind of pad you use. I made a 20* quilt for the JMT this year and was barely warm enough with all of my clothes on using a 3/4 length zlite as a pad. The lowest temp I saw was 28*F in the early morning. I was really glad I had added draft stoppers to my quilt because it made a huge difference in the warmth. I think a 20* traditional bag would have been fine but it being a quilt made me more susceptible to the pidly pad I was using.

Aside from the warmth, I love everything else about the CCF pad (weight, versatility, ease/speed of use). So in order to avoid having to get a beefier pad, next time I'd probably go with a 10* quilt. If I were going to use a bag instead, I'd stick with 20*.

Long story short, if your pad is warm, 20* would be fine. If you pad is thin, I'd go 10* on the quilt, 20* if it were a bag.

I actually only have a junky z rest at the moment. Long story short but I lost some gear. Looking to pick up another bad with a higher R value, maybe a prolite. Something with some padding and warmth that doesnt take too much time to fill.

The weight diff between a 20 and 10* quilt is only 3 oz. Could I get the 20* and then bring a light weight summer bag to use in conjunction if its cold out?

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006

Saint Fu posted:

You could definitely double up, especially if one is a quilt (easy to drape over the lighter bag). It probably wouldn't make sense, weight-wise, however. A 20* + 40* almost certainly weighs more than the 10*.

The 40* bag is only about a pound. I am just thinking how often I would stay in temp lower than 20* on the east coast on the Appalachian, probably not too often. But if I bought a 10* quilt, maybe I would never fully utilize the warmth and would be carrying around unnecessaryq weight most of the time.

DholmbladRU fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 9, 2014

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006

Saint Fu posted:

3/4 length was definitely a part of it. I did have a 1/8" gossamer gear foam pad (which I mainly used to wrap my bear can in to protect the cuben pack and use for whatever else) that I used under my feet when sleeping. With the footbox of my quilt tied up so it was closed, it was usually my core/butt getting cold first which seemed to lead to my feet getting cold. I wish there was a slightly thicker CCF pad because I love not having to worry about punctures and being able to toss it down anywhere anytime without blowing it up.

My 20* quilt is 1.5 lbs. I'd rather take a 1.75 lb 10* quilt than 2.5 lb worth of quilt+bag. Plus I'd be worried about fitting the bulk in my pack. But since I use a thin pad, I personally need the extra insulation when it's cold so that's why I'd stick with something with a rating 10-15* above the lowest temps I expect when selecting a quilt specifically. I personally wouldn't add the extra 10-15 if it were a mummy bag.

One beautiful part of the quilt is that it's easy to open up and use it more like a blanket if it's too hot. I hated sleeping in a subzero mummy bag in the fall when it was my only bag. I need to have something covering me when sleeping but could never stay partially covered and cool enough with an unzipped mummy bag.

That is true. And hey if it turns out to be too warm for the fall I can always use it as an excuses to buy a 30* quilt!

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006
Ended up placing an order for a black/red EE revelation. Cant wait to get it! This weekend Ill be doing some hiking in the Shenandoah

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006

Levitate posted:

I feel like I heard exped is coming out with some high R value inflatables that stay under 20 oz...probably cost a fortune though. Sometimes I wish I wasn't a side sleeper

DholmbladRU, I have an Enlightened Equipment quilt and like it. Good quality, supposedly more accurate temp ratings than major manufacturers, I think he's improved the baffles as well since I bought mine (I don't mind karo baffles but I struggle with effectively moving the down between them and sometimes feel like I've got some underfilled baffles I can't get filled up well). Tim seems like a good guy too, he posts over on backpackinglight to answer questions, etc.

I live in DC but haven't done a lot of fall camping in the Shenendoah's, but it'll easily get down towards freezing here soon. I still keep meaning to go to the Dolly Sodds but have been crap about figuring that trip out...

Everyone who posts about having an EE quilt says its a great product. I can not wait to get mine. I have been making efforts on lighting up my pack. After 14+ years of hiking with a heavy arcteryx bora I finally picked up a new pack, osprey exos 58.

Yes in the Shenandoah it will be dropping down in temp soon.

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

I weighed my pack on the way back from the enhancements and with no water or food it was 49.6 lbs. :wtc: I need to stop bringing my ancient 0 degree bag and just get a liner for my 30 degree one.

Granted it was better than in Zion 5 years ago when I was carrying 70 but ugh

50lbs!!? Do you have to carry a bear canister or heavy items that are a necessity. Because that seems like overkill...

Yeah I remember doing a boyscout trip when I was younger. We were canoeing, but when we had to portage I got stuck with the foodbag. The foodbag for 10people x 8days. Easily over 50-60lbs...

When hiking the AT even at my heaviest I probably topped out at 38lbs. Hopefully I am less than that after picking up:
osprey atmos exos
big agnes fly creek ul2
EE 20* quilt

DholmbladRU fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 9, 2014

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006
Find all kinds of stuff like that near the AT terminus.

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006

fritzov posted:

I've been day hiking for a couple of months now and feel i want to try to do some over nights one.

What essential equipment do and need and what should i be aware of as a solo hiker doing my first overnights. I do all my hike locally (southern sweden) but I'm thinking about keep doing the hikes during winter season).

There are plenty of articles or videos to watch online which can provide this information. The amount of gear you bring will be dependent on how comfortable you want to be. Generally the items below are non-negotiable.

Sleep system
+tent/hamock
+sleeping bag
+sleeping pad

cook system
+stove
+pot
+spoon

backpack
waterproof
+pack cover
+jacket or poncho
First aid kit

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006
Just picked up an enlightened equiptment 20* quilt to be used as my main sleep system in winter/fall/spring. Cant wait to try it out on the AT early next month

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006

Levitate posted:

Where on the AT?

I'm probably getting out somewhere in the Shenendoah's in a couple of weekends but I haven't decided where yet

I live outside of DC. So probably in the Shenandoah or maybe north from there.

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006

Ropes4u posted:

Just got my annual bonus and I am going to upgrade our backpacking gear which I hope will last us for the next twenty years. I am open to suggestions if someone thinks we can do better, better as in more durable and lighter the two opposing magnets..

Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XLite Sleeping Pad
Zpacks sleeping bag - 20 degree as we are both cold sleepers.
Lunar Duo Explorer
ULA Circuit

ULA is a great pack, you will not be disappointed. And I always feel good buying from cottage shops. If you are looking at a sleeping bag, have you thought about a quilt? They can save you on wight depending on the conditions you plan on doing backpacking in.

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006
If you have wide shoulders, get the x-wide enlightened equipment.

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006
Have to put off my appalachain thru hike until next year. Have some foot issue and the ortho thinks its a good idea to wait. :(

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006
Can anyone recommend a sleeping pad for someone who is both heavy(210lbs), and has wide shoulders? Im not a big fan of air pads, as they take a long time to inflated/deflate..

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH posted:

I'm 6'0 and 178. But I got some severe back problems, so I go for the biggest widest most cushioning sleeping pad I can get.

Your right, it can be slow to inflate but you at least want one of those pumps they make if your gonna use it a lot. The Big Agnes Insulatef Q Core SL in the Long/Wide variety gets my full endorsement. 5-10 minutes of extra work each time I pack out or in for a good nights sleep is worth it to me though.. HYOH and what have you. There's all kinds ultralight pumps to make inflating easier. And deflation ain't so bad.

I filled up a q core sl by myself and it took a lonngggg time. I cant imagine doing that everyday on a thruhike. For a weekend trip it may be okay.

How long have you been using the pad for?

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006
Picked up some new gear:
sea to summit ultralight sleeping pad(all weather)
ghost whisperer, got this from steep and cheap for 150!

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006

COOL CORN posted:

I wonder how much of a bump the PCT (and the AT and other thru-hikes) is going to have this summer since Wild came out in December. I know Alaska had a bump in backpackers after Into the Wild came out, and Reese Witherspoon is more of a "popular" actress, so I'm sure a lot of people saw Wild.

I am really worried about the bump in people attempting thru hikes next year. I am pretty sure Walk in the Woods is coming out this fall. I am absolutely not against more people having an affinity for the outdoors and enjoying them. But people who do not have an understanding of the trail may be more likely to trash it. Not pack out trash, dump on the ground instead of burying it. Maybe my pessimistic mind is thinking too much into this.

Maybe the AT should limit thru-hiking permits?

DholmbladRU fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 21, 2015

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006

COOL CORN posted:

That's not just bad for the environment, but dangerous for other hikers right? If a bear (or something) finds food, it tends to get territorial over the area, right?

Sorry, I joined to thoughts together.

*Not packing out trash
*Dumping on the ground instead of burring it or using privy

:)

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006
Ive been watching steep and cheap for awhile. There will be about 1 good deal that I need of 400. I was able to find a mountain hardware ghost whisperer jacket for $150(reg 320$). After I bout it it jumped to $190, which would have been too much. I just check daily for deals....

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006

cheese eats mouse posted:

In the market for my first lightweight warm weather tent. I take my dogs everywhere with me so I wonder if I need a 1 person or 2 person to accommodate 1-3 over nighters? One is 45lbs and the other is 17lbs.

Probably in the $200 range but willing to go up a little, although always willing to save some cash.

Check out ebay. I got a big agnes ul2 brand new with a ripped bag for that price.

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006

SeaborneClink posted:

UL2 :hfive: My local REI had two at the gear sale for $80 and $100, brand new in bag. I sold the one I bought 3 months prior for like $50 less than I bought it for, picked up the $80 one. :smuggo:

Edit: I bought an UL2 for myself to solo camp, because I assumed that a 1 person tent is basically a half person tent, when you are 6'2 and want to keep your pack dry at night.

Though I did use it over the summer on a hike with my sister. We just shoved the packs down at the end, both air pads fit snugly.

Yeah as someone who is 6'2 I will gladly carry the extra few oz for the 2 person tent. Also I have enough room to fit my girlfriend in there if I can convince her to do overnight.

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006

theroachman posted:

I've got an osprey pack and I'm very impressed with it, but they're quite curved so if you have a very straight posture, they migh not be for you. I don't know the first thing about how well Arc' backpacks fit though. You could buy some Arc' shell pants if that's what you're missing in your current gear.

I found the same thing with the atmos series, which i thought I wanted for a long time. But I ended up with an exos 58 and was very happy. Its not curved much, and it is a really light pack.

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006

Rontalvos posted:

I can get one piece of arcteryx gear for something like 60% off with the deal through my work ending on thursday.

I need a backpack that fits me better than my gregory baltoro 65 but I was looking at those new AG ospreys, and I have decent clothing from other manufacturers including a patagonia down jacket and a decent REI rain jacket.

What should I buy/upgrade, goons?

I love arcteryx gear, it will last forever. the only reason I am not using the arcteryx bora 60 pack I got 18 years ago is because its about 3 lbs heavier than my exos. Its still in perfect working order. If I were you I would find a jacket that meets your needs. Either light weight down, or rain, or snow. Those things will last forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

How does everyone like the Sawyer mini? I've been using drops for my water, but it seems like a decent step up in the world. Any reasons why I may hate it?

I dont use one. But I know they can be difficult in the winter, much like any filter. I have used drops for a long time, or bleach.