Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Do poles make a big difference on light day-hikes, or do they really shine with larger packs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

I am finding out the hard way it's still a little early in the year to hike a 14k mountain in Colorado in running shoes. Can snowshoes be used with cross trainers, and are there any recommended by this thread?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Picnic Princess posted:

Watching an argument in a scrambling group on Facebook about whether it's okay to blast music from speakers in the backcountry.

I'm team "Shut the gently caress up because it's noise pollution and bothers everyone else, you're in nature for gently caress sake" and apparently that means "YOU WANT ME TO GET EATEN BY A BEAR, GUESS I'LL JUST WALK IN SILENCE AND DIE"

These pro-music guys are loving livid. Someone said it was selfish behavior, and they turned it into "Oh, it's selfish to want to survive? Thanks". Pretty sure that's not what they meant, dude.

'If someone else can hear your music, it's too loud' seems like a safe enough principle. Blast your music all you want if no one is within earshot.

e: In the backcountry. If you're playing music audibly on a trail, gently caress you.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

marshmonkey posted:

Angels Landing in Zion is pretty much the most beautiful and rewarding hike I have ever done. It was a bitch for me because I'm out of shape and have bad knees, but the view from the top was totally amazing. Not good if you are afraid of heights.

And it's a short hike, so it won't kill your day.

Bryce Canyon is worth a visit if you're in that neighborhood I think. The view from the rim is amazing, and there are some neat loop hikes that don't have a ton of elevation change.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Hey goons, I'm planning a trip starting in Montana, ultimate goal being Los Angeles (gotta get home). I'm starting in Red Lodge in late July, and my friend is willing to fly into whatever airport i can pick her up from. We would like to spend a couple days in a destination (2-3), then a few nights in other places on the way back. We have from monday to that sunday or monday, so 6 or 7 days.

Google maps says that's 371 hours of walking, so unless you're really willing to push it that's going to take 2 weeks minimum.

Or are you in the wrong thread?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

One of my relatives is going into the eastern sierras alone for four nights next week. Is there a certain phone that gets great reception? They are making like 4g means they can use internet "anywhere" but I think this is bullshit.

Are phones reliable for help if something goes wrong in these modern times? They are skilled but a wise person in this thread once said "hiking alone is how you die of dumb poo poo"

Edit: to clarify. This is essentially John Muir Wilderness, off trail

https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtEpirb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

CopperHound posted:

I just did a search for ultralight smoking paraphernalia. Of course it is a thing.

?