Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lutukor
Mar 16, 2010
I guess I could try a race some time. I can't promise to be good at anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

...and then he eats the body, but they always cut out the spoon scene.

[Reserving this spot for Binding of Isaac groups and the tournament progress]

Players (and initial groups by request):

Abyssal Lurker
Aurora,
BB2K,
Apt Funk,
Catsworth,
Color Printer,
French Accent,
gongon1050,
Iron Chitlin,
Link,
Lutokor,
Mr. Tibbs,
Ragny,
Phiggle,
Psychedelic Eyeball,
Rather Watch Them,
ScurvyKip,
Smite,
Volt Catfish,
WilliamAnderson,
Xaiter

Groups:

• French Accent, Psychedelic Eyeball, Ragny, ?, ?, ?

• Iron Chitlin, Link, ?, ?, ?, ?

Contact me if you want in, still some time left to join. We'll probably start trying to race this weekend, with a 2-week time limit per video.

Smite fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 17, 2013

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012
I'd love to get in on the BoI races. I've added you on Skype, Smite.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Mooseontheloose posted:

I think Simply Simon proved that Top Spin is actually useful if you know how it works.

Top Spin is good. In places. When you don't have any other options, and you already know what you're doing since Top Spin has some really dumb attributes (like constantly draining even when in contact with enemies in mercy invincibility, meaning it's TERRIBLE against many things it does not one shot).

What I'm saying is that it's very dependent on the situation and even then is rarely the best option, and this is coming from probably the only person in the race who actually used it for something besides boss-smiting successfully. It's not made any better by the fact that it sucks in a lot of situations it should ACTUALLY be good (Someone in the race vid tried using it when swarmed by bees- a horde of one-shot melee-contact enemies that Top Spin SEEMS custom-built to thwart. What HAPPENS is comedy gold because Top Spin is unreliable as gently caress at even doing it's goddamn job.)

gongon1050
Oct 11, 2010

This is not the hero of time you're looking for.
I just barely don't have the Polaroid (Sampson.. ) but I'll jump in on the races, sounds like a good excuse to pick BoI back up.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Psychedelic Eyeball posted:

Mega Man 3 Race (Or Will We Race the Whole Series or What) - with Mr. Locke, Psychedelic Eyeball, Ragny, Smite, TurboC and Volt Catfish

Stay tuned as there'll probably be another race through this game with different people!

Man, that was actually a pretty close race, at least until Psych started getting ahead halfway through the Doc Robots.

Megaman races are the best races. There's just something about them that makes them more entertaining than other races.

Faroush
Mar 21, 2009

Amashing

Gully Foyle posted:

Megaman races are the best races.

Agreed. I'm kinda sad I missed out on my chance to get in on them. Hopefully if I hop in now I can manage one. I'll add you on Skype, Smite.

Sadly I'm a little unqualified to participate in the BoI race.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

Hopefully there's a bit more quality in this video. (Don't count on it.)

Sonic the Hedgehog, Group 1: A Nextgen Experience
Featuring Temascos, Capt. J. Linebeck, JordanKai, Catsworth, and The T

The T fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 19, 2013

Endevin
Oct 30, 2011

Afro Demon should be in id's next game.
I'd love to get in on Megaman 4 if/when it comes around, as I'm (probably)the only person who considers it their favorite of the series.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Not to say that it won't happen, but we had a pretty huge Mega Man 4 race not too long ago. So don't count on it.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

Megaman X2 - Group 3 - Apt Funk, Catsworth, Frocobo, Iron Chitlin, KasaiAisu, KingEffingFrost, and the ghost of Psychedelic Eyeball

The Wheel Gator Story

Smite fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 18, 2013

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames
Iron Chitlin, 9m 11s: "Alright, I like alligators".

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

That looks like my race :downs:

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I'd love to get it on some Binding of Isaac if it's still open.

senseinobu
Jul 28, 2008
I could go for some Isaac.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Smite posted:

Megaman X2 - Group 3 - Apt Funk, Catsworth, Frocobo, Iron Chitlin, KasaiAisu, KingEffingFrost, and the ghost of Psychedelic Eyeball

The Wheel Gator Story

Huh, I've never seen Violen 2 land on one of his own blocks.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

I forgot to add it to the video, here is Iron Chitlin's death count from that race:

Wheel Gator: 24, Iron Chitlin: 1!

Instant Grat posted:

I'd love to get it on some Binding of Isaac if it's still open.

You guys are going to have to either add me on skype or actually post some skype contact info if you want to participate. I would say you've got 2 weeks left to join at this point.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
Someone should start an MMX6 race and direct Chitlin to Infinity Mijinion.

Endevin
Oct 30, 2011

Afro Demon should be in id's next game.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Not to say that it won't happen, but we had a pretty huge Mega Man 4 race not too long ago. So don't count on it.

Eh, if that's the case I'm down for whatever Mega Man is inevitably raced next.

The T
May 29, 2010

I am uploading a new version of the Sonic 1 Group 1 video with slightly reworked audio (and a less awful video title). Just calling attention to it to make sure it's updated in the OP. As of this posting it's processing but it should be active in 5 hours...

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Endevin posted:

Eh, if that's the case I'm down for whatever Mega Man is inevitably raced next.

I didn't participate in said MM4 race if you wanted to find a couple others for a "horrible people" intermission in their MM races

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

Binding of Isaac RNG Race 2013 is in full swing. Here's how the tournament is going to operate:

This is going to be a 3-round event. I am going to eliminate approximately 50% of the racers each round so that only 6 are left for round 3. I will rank your performance on what your best cleared floor was. It doesn't matter whether or not you've cleared the alternate version of a floor (Utero is ranked the same as the Womb). In the event of a tie making or breaking someone's survival, I will compare initial clear times of this floor. For a labyrinth, you clear the first floor after boss 1, and the 2nd is cleared after boss 2. (e.g. if you die on the 2nd boss of Necropolis XL, I will consider you having cleared The Depths 1.)

You may also have noticed that there aren't groups listed above; Who you actually race with doesn't matter (unless they finish really, really fast, which will limit your number of attempts). As usual, I'll not be assigning anyone into groups. Doing so usually causes more problems than it solves. Make sure you are familiar with the rules.

Lots of people are planning to race round 1 today. If you wanted in and your name isn't listed above, it would appear that I've missed adding you for some reason. I had a lot of new applicants, so just shoot me a PM and I'll fix it. We can still accept new people until Jan. 26 (Saturday), at which point I'll probably be working on the videos and preparing for Round 2.

Smite fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 21, 2013

senseinobu
Jul 28, 2008
I have a small question. You mentioned the clear time for a labyrinth being after you cleared the second boss. Does this hold for other floors, i.e. does clearing the boss early and then going through the floor mean that you have a shorter time for that floor than you actually spent.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

senseinobu posted:

I have a small question. You mentioned the clear time for a labyrinth being after you cleared the second boss. Does this hold for other floors, i.e. does clearing the boss early and then going through the floor mean that you have a shorter time for that floor than you actually spent.

No, I should clarify that the floor is cleared when you jump in the pit, and the only exception to this is the first "half" of a labyrinth where I will go by the frame a boss dies.

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY
So if I finish the chest early by beating dead baby, can I still gently caress around while the others are finishing?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Oh god I just noticed that Xaiter is involved, this could get painful.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

njsykora posted:

Oh god I just noticed that Xaiter is involved, this could get painful.

He and Ragny should be in the same group.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
This is a truly amazing amount of technical problems people are having here, i'm kind of in awe over it.

Smite
Jul 5, 2007

Instant Grat posted:

This is a truly amazing amount of technical problems people are having here, i'm kind of in awe over it.

The curse of the Binding of Isaac Races.

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY

Cernunnos posted:

He and Ragny should be in the same group.

I already recorded my first round but we might meet if he doesn't get eliminated.

The T
May 29, 2010

Sonic the Hedgehog, Group 2: Sega Power Boot, ON!
Featuring Ultigonio, TheJayofSpade, FutureFriend, Tarmogoyf, and Jacobus Spades

(As usual, if you notice any audio issues/music being too loud/JSpades being too quiet or loud (I had issues with his audio) please don't fret to let me know!)

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
And here's another video of my romhack!

Group 2 - Who designed this?!

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Have the Sonic 2 groups gone yet? I'd totally love in on that.

Capt. J. Linebeck
Dec 28, 2012

We haven't done any Sonic 2 races yet, next up is going to be Sonic 1 on the Game Gear. After that we'll move on to Sonic 2.

The T
May 29, 2010

Yeah, just get in touch with me on Skype if you want in on them.

Phiggle
Apr 26, 2007

And so, having defeated the nefarious Psy-Crow, our hero, Earthworm Jim, wins back the heart of the lovely COW
Okay, I'll go ahead and start wrecking this train.

:siren: ROUND 1 RACE TIME :siren:

Let's Race The Binding of Isaac For Some Reason, Round 1 - Dectilon, Diabetus, Phiggle, WilliamAnderson, ZLF Aurora, Lukutor (sort of)

Lukutor was also in this but he lost his video. Naturally, because he got Epic Fetus. This is only one of the incredibly fascinating things that happen in this video!

Phiggle fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jan 24, 2013

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.
Nooo Diabetus don't pick a Brimstone while you have Dr. Fetus handy :(

Anyway, before we're overcome by an onslaught of Binding of Isaac videos, let's contribute to the onslaught of Mega Man videos! As I stated previously, some other people wanted to also race through Mega Man 3, so let's give it one more go.

This time, we have A Raving Loon, Iron Chitlin, Killer Emcee, yours truly and thevoiceofdog. Ragny guests as he tries to beat the one Mega Man game that previously made him give up. Will he succeed this time around? Will Iron Chitlin manage to beat one robot master? Watch the video to find out!

Mega Man 3 Race Redux (Or People Can't Get Enough of This) - with A Raving Loon, Iron Chitlin, Killer Emcee, Psychedelic Eyeball and thevoiceofdog. Ragny guests.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I'm going to apologize in advance for being the most boring racer imaginable. :shobon:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Power of Pecota posted:

I'm going to apologize in advance for being the most boring racer imaginable. :shobon:
Oh, god, our race video.

If you watch the entire thing (which people will because they are crazy) I don't know what to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZLF Aurora
May 4, 2012

Phiggle posted:

Okay, I'll go ahead and start wrecking this train.

:siren: ROUND 1 RACE TIME :siren:

Let's Race The Binding of Isaac For Some Reason, Round 1 - Dectilon, Diabetus, Phiggle, WilliamAnderson, ZLF Aurora, Lukutor (sort of)

Lukutor was also in this but he lost his video. Naturally, because he got Epic Fetus. This is only one of the incredibly fascinating things that happen in this video!

I'm just glad the spoils of my Mahjong victory went to good use.

• Locked thread