Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
If you race Pokemon you just pick a starter and solo with that. You can skip most trainers because with only one pokemon getting Exp you'll be overleveled anyway. Just be prepared to use a bunch of potions/ethers/x-items.

That being said it'd still be three or four hours of not much happening. Pokemon don't really make for spectator games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

The thing is, pokemon is not a random game at all really, and each one boils down to "pick the best starter, solo with it", and there's not a lot of different routes to take, especially in the newer games. So all you'd get is a bunch of videos of people doing almost the exact same thing, with the only differences being things like where they get into wild pokemon battles and moves critting/missing.

Even at triple speed that'd get boring quickly. At least with Demon's Souls you might get people using different builds, and there's an element of skill involved. Pokemon just doesn't have a wealth of options when it comes to being played quickly.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

Crosscontaminant posted:

Sure, that'd be (more or less) the fastest thing to do. As you point out, it'd also be boring as gently caress, which is precisely why I didn't even mention it. I tried to provide guidelines for something which balances speed with making for as interesting a video as possible. We accept speed/entertainment tradeoffs in every other game (otherwise we wouldn't see people taking different paths through a level in, say, Megaman) so I don't see why Pokémon must automatically boil down to everyone doing the same thing with no possible alternative.

The difference is Megaman is an action game that involves skill, so someone taking a slower route could still end up in front if they're good enough. And no one would take a slower route for entertainment purposes, they'd do it because they were better at it/found it easier. Pokemon is a turn based RPG with simplistic AI, it'd be like racing a puzzle game where everyone already knew the solutions. Making people use more than one pokemon just for entertainment defeats the point of racing it in the first place. Why not just watch four similtanious LPs?

If you need to make abitrary restictions that slow the game down just to make something interesting you're better off not racing it in the first place.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

Mr. Locke posted:

I think racing Pokemon could be fun if there's enough interest in actually doing it- besides being a game that people without action game skills have a chance to actually win, it'd still have a lot of possibility for variation- it's not a speed run, a race doesn't end the second you screw up. But it does cost you time. So decisions have to be made- speed vs safety. So do you try to avoid as many fights as possible and just power through with your starter? Do you replace your starter with something more versatile/powerful when the chance comes up or try to 'waste' as little time as possible and stick to your guns? (Even some speed runs don't use the starter- Pokemon Yellow and the Gen 3 games are good examples). Do you pick up a ringer Pokemon to run a gym your chosen 'mon otherwise might not be able to clear easily for you? Do you go out of your way for that TM, even if the move it teaches only really helps you in one major area (or even just one major battle?)

This would still only work if no one planned ahead, otherwise you'd work all this stuff out in advance and none of it would be an issue, and then everyone would work out the same thing because there is only one fastest way in a games that aren't based on skill. The only Gen 3 game to not use a starter was the TAS of R/S/E, so even then it's unlikely anyone would choose it, because in terms of speed vs safety it's a bad choice. And past a certain point in the game (usually about two gyms in, if that) the question of whether your starter can beat a gym is non-existent, as you'll be so overleveled the actual question will be what move sweeps the gym the fastest.

No one is saying you can't race them if you want, and don't get me wrong, I like speedruns of pokemon games, I think the intricate planning is interesting. It's just not very good for a race.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

Pagemaster is loving awesome, I played the poo poo out of it when I was a kid. I think I still have the cart somewhere too.

• Locked thread