Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

I'm not interested in taking part in an X2 race, but I'd love to join the group Skype chat and be made aware of other races in the future. So feel free to add me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The T
May 29, 2010

And here's a race for you all.

In Loving Memory of Wheel Gator
Starring JSpades, Unpronounceable, Greader, and FutureFriend

This is my first time producing a video, so if anything seems off, don't fret to let me know.

The T
May 29, 2010

Oh boy, another terrible race no one will watch to completition!

Wario Land 4 Hours of this Bullshit?
Starring TrampolineTales, FutureFriend, The T, and a very desynced keystroke using Dragonatrix (gently caress keystrokes uuurgh)

The T
May 29, 2010

Also guess it's worth mentioning I'm organizing some Sonic races; we just did a Sonic 1 race (with a second group pending) and we'll probably go through the series in some sort of order, so if you're interested get into the chat and get in touch with me (or get in touch with me).

The T
May 29, 2010

This happened a while ago (before the Wario Land 4 race) but had kind gotta stuck in production pipeline (real life issues) so here it is!

Turtgoons in Time
Featuring Apt Funk, FutureFriend, Dragonatrix, and The T

The T
May 29, 2010

thevoiceofdog posted:

I don't get it.

It was a Mystery Race, but Linebeck getting issues caused us to improvise and for some reason we thought this was worth posting.

Not sure why. But there you go!

The T
May 29, 2010

Hopefully there's a bit more quality in this video. (Don't count on it.)

Sonic the Hedgehog, Group 1: A Nextgen Experience
Featuring Temascos, Capt. J. Linebeck, JordanKai, Catsworth, and The T

The T fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 19, 2013

The T
May 29, 2010

I am uploading a new version of the Sonic 1 Group 1 video with slightly reworked audio (and a less awful video title). Just calling attention to it to make sure it's updated in the OP. As of this posting it's processing but it should be active in 5 hours...

The T
May 29, 2010

Sonic the Hedgehog, Group 2: Sega Power Boot, ON!
Featuring Ultigonio, TheJayofSpade, FutureFriend, Tarmogoyf, and Jacobus Spades

(As usual, if you notice any audio issues/music being too loud/JSpades being too quiet or loud (I had issues with his audio) please don't fret to let me know!)

The T
May 29, 2010

Yeah, just get in touch with me on Skype if you want in on them.

The T
May 29, 2010

I can't think of a funny picture to post with this so here have some boxart.

Sonic 1 for Game Gear: An Informative Let's Race starring Seer, FutureFriend, Jacobus Spades, Linebeck and The T

The T
May 29, 2010

And here's some more Mega Man 4!

Mega Man 4: Dr. Cossler's Revenge
Starring Frocobo, majormonotone, Heavy Sigh, and Rather Watch Them

The T
May 29, 2010

theblastizard posted:

You should have gifed the Dustman screenzip that happened.

I guess I missed it. Whereabouts was it?

The T
May 29, 2010

theblastizard posted:

Around 13:30-13:40 on MajorMonotone, when he gets hit by the Metool.

Oh, hah, that is pretty good. But :effort:

The T
May 29, 2010

Yeah, I personally use a Super NES Retro Adapter for SNES, NES, and GBA games, a Street Fighter IV Fightpad (I assume the SFxT ones are similar) for Genesis and Master System type games (just feels more like a Sega controller to me), and a 360 pad for N64. Be advised on the 360 pad; the L and R triggers are mapped to a Z axis, so it doesn't read if you press both of 'em at once. Makes games like Star Fox with the Tank garbage.

The T
May 29, 2010

Yes, we (me+others) intend to race all the Sonics. every Sonics. Just got sidetracked, but more are on the way.

So as usual get in touch with me on Skype if you want in on Sonics.

The T
May 29, 2010

Hystrix posted:

I wish there was a second Super Metroid race planned.

If you want to race something, find some people and race it.

The T
May 29, 2010

I checked the Sonic races I did, and an hour of video through Fraps at 640x480 was about 23 GB. So there are options.

The T
May 29, 2010

Here's another Mega Man 4 race!

Mega Man 4: Why did they race again also some other people
Featuring Star Man, kingeffingfrost, Catsworth, and for some reason also featuring Frocobo, majormonotone, and Heavy Sigh again

I didn't bother to do gifs because, there wasn't much to gif except for Catsworth's video basically being all one gif and also I couldn't exactly gif kingeffingfrost dying to Wily 4 or 5 times. That and it'd delay me posting this video even further.

The T
May 29, 2010

Finally, the Sonic the Hedgehog 2 race you've all been waiting for...

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for Master System: Mechas, Tubes, and a word from our sponsor
Starring Catsworth, Jacobus Spades, FutureFriend, and The T

(There's supposed to be a group 2 of this, they haven't raced yet but hopefully they're still going to?)

The T
May 29, 2010

Smite posted:

where we were organizing side-games that were not necessarily races like the score attack on Starfox 64. We were doing this to create some content while waiting for others to finish, because it was a tournament and we had to wait on them.

So with this said, are "score attack" races discouraged, or are they fine as long as they are games that gameplay is based on "skill" in some way?

The T
May 29, 2010

Smite posted:

In general, I don't really want people to race to a million points in some survival mode or something, but it might be okay for some games. I'd prefer that a good clear time be the end goal rather than just points, because I think that an actual race is more interesting to watch than looking at numbers go up. Taking big risks for speed and sequence breaking is far more in line with what I'd hope to see. It depends on the game, but a lot of the ones that come to mind for a score attack would involve doing some boring stuff like slowly pouring over a level to find poo poo, using lovely attacks on purpose and having very little chance of failure. What we did with kirby co-op, giving a little bit of time back for picking up optional points, was an okay method of making score worth going after while keeping the ultimate goal of going fast.

Yeah, I completely agree with this line of view. The game I was thinking of (which we did end up racing and will probably be posted) is Typing of the Dead, where trying to go "fast" would mean exactly that; making intentional mistakes to skip parts of the level that you'd normally play through and get more points on; playing for points means playing "faster" even though you're seeing more of the game (which is "longer"), but overall a better experience. Everyone finished at about the same time unless they ran out of continues quicker, but it was a short experience all around.

So TLDR: Score attack is fine but don't do it in some stupid game where racing would be better. Score attack is for games where score attack is the more interesting option. Duh.

Positronic Spleen posted:

Now I did have a *lot* of trouble with Sonic Advance 2 and 3, either my Sonic skills have turned to mush or they're designed even worse than the game gear games; I'm sure you will all get there eventually. Sonic Blast and Sonic Labyrinth should probably get a pass, though, I consider them worse than Sonic '06.

Sonic Advance 2 is a little bottomless pitty but otherwise alright, while Sonic Advance 3 is just kind of bad. We'll probably race both eventually. Sonic Blast and Labyrinth I'm mixed on; I think we should skip them but man wouldn't it be dumb as hell to race them? Haha I don't know.

Sonic '06, on the other hand, is happening. :getin:

The T
May 29, 2010

And now, something really kind of dumb.

"Hi."
Keyboard Mashing Typing of the Dead - Instant Grat, Robust Laster, Jacobus Spades, and The T

The T fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 18, 2013

The T
May 29, 2010

I have returned from PAX East and I bring you... a RACE!

The Sonic 2 race you've been wa--hmm.

Well, this sure was an interesting experience.

This sums things up pretty well.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Bottom Buddies
Starring El Generico, Jacobus Spades, Clark_Mk_IV, Catsworth, The T, and Seer

The T
May 29, 2010

Sonic CD Goonrace: Stardust Speedway.fuk
Starring Clark_Mk_IV, The T, majormonotone, Jacobus Spades, and Heavy Sigh

(Sorry I was lazy on the gifs. :effort:)

The T
May 29, 2010

Lyrax posted:

I mean, why not do some multipart racing here? Races that can but don't have to eliminate people.

This probably goes without saying but obviously this has been this plan for the 3D Sonic games. Would definitely support others taking this approach for some long games though.

quote:

Remember, you're doing this for people to watch here. Sometimes you can race a game without recording it too. Especially if it's not something people won't watch or won't enjoy watching.

This I am sort of conflicted on. There are plenty of races in this thread I have no interest in watching just cause of how most of the people act in them. And obviously I think people strive to make something entertaining and watchable. But as long as there is someone who is interested in watching the race, it's worth putting it out there if it's worth it to you. That doesn't mean you HAVE to put everything out there if you can tell its poo poo but.

TLDR have standards but if people are liking what you're doing don't feel like you should stop.

Still, though, consider the advice of people who don't love your videos and continue to make them better.

I feel like I went off on a wild tangent here. Sorry.

The T
May 29, 2010

drasticactions posted:

I never knew you could go up the cave wall on the left in Barrel Cannon Canyon to get to the first barrel to go over level. I thought you had to bounce on the enemy to get up there.

Oddly enough from what I could tell, Diddy can jump up there but DK can't; DK has to bounce off the enemy.

Weird, right?

The T
May 29, 2010

Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose!
Featuring Mr DJB, The T, Ultigonio, majormonotone, FlamingRok, and Heavy Sigh

The T
May 29, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This may be me missing the joke, but as of yet, I'm not aware of any TAS tools that support the use of the mouse.

It seems like you two should switch usernames.

The T
May 29, 2010

Choco1980 posted:

Probably a stupid question, but the subject got brought up a couple times in the race. On Gamecenter CX, there's several times where Arino visits this one retro game store whose most treasured item for sale is one of the gold cartridges given out to the winners of the contest to design the robot masters for MM 6. Does anyone know which winner/robot master that cart went to originally?

From my understanding of it, every single came from Mega Man 2 forward (well, up to 8) has had Robot Master designs sent in by fans. They're usually just kids drawing quality, and some of them appear in the credits of 8. I think for 6 they opened it up as a contest and included in the US in it. This doesn't really answer the gold cartridge question bit but I imagine it would be at least all 8 Robot Masters got one (or rather the 6 Japanese ones? There were 2 US winners--Knight Man and Wind Man.)

The T
May 29, 2010

Hey guys remember when we used to do Sonic races

Sonic Chaos
Featuring The T, majormonotone, Seer, and Heavy Sigh

I swear this game is actually really easy guys no calm down guys no wait guys guys

The T fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Aug 13, 2013

The T
May 29, 2010

Not only that but right after me and major went on to race DKC World 3 and had a great time (for a relative definition of great and time).

The T
May 29, 2010

While this internet detective bullshit is pretty dumb, I still say that, Nina, you might want to spend a bit more time lurking on SA to understand some of the norms here. Another thing you may want to focus on is to stop presenting yourself as a brand. Your avatar and title look like a logo and brand tagline. It's weird. People aren't brands. They're people. Act like one.

Good job on getting Dish probated though. We need more people around here to do that.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The T
May 29, 2010

Alien Arcana posted:

Honorable mention also to a raving loon, Diabetus, and The T who all had a perfect record going into Vulture Culture.

:woop:

And I swear my group will get around to racing World 4 soon...

The T
May 29, 2010

Finally, the Sonic game you've all been waiting for... the worst Sonic game in history...

Wait no it's just Spinball.

Sonic Spinball, Group 1
With mateo360, The T, Jacobus Spades, FlamingRok, and Robust Laser

The T fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 28, 2013

The T
May 29, 2010

morallyobjected posted:

I think my favourite part was The T not knowing you could swing to the side on that chain in Lava Powerhouse to avoid dying.

If I had just paused and googled it the race would have been quite a bit shorter.

The T
May 29, 2010

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

Did you intend for the last song to be so loud? The sudden volume increase was kind of a nasty surprise for a headphone wearer. I guess it was a fitting end, but ow.

Otherwise, I remember liking Spinball a bit but I guess my nostalgia blurred out the annoying precision it takes as well as those questionable physics. Especially the last level.

WELL gently caress that explains it. I did the same thing I normally do to level the audio... except that someone the decibel slider in Audacity got cranked all the way up to +36. SORRY ABOUT THAT. I'll get started on fixing that and re-upload the video...

The T
May 29, 2010

frozentreasure posted:

Stop skirting around it and get to Sonic '06 already; it's been sitting on my desk for long enough.

We will play the games in chronological order and you will like it that way. :colbert:

The T
May 29, 2010

Aaaand the corrected version of Spinball is up. Please make sure to remake your dumb YouTube comments that no one reads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The T
May 29, 2010

Gensuki posted:

Sonic Chronicles was a terrible Sonic game, but it was a working game. Labyrinth and 06 on the other hand... were at the very least buggy.

Labyrinth wasn't buggy, was it? From what I remember of playing it it was just kind of boring but totally playable, and actually pretty short.

Gensuki posted:

Knuckles Chaotix, while also not really a Sonic game, has :allears: physics instead of :gonk: physics.

Chaotix, likewise, is SUPER boring. All the levels are close to devoid of enemies, there are what, 5 acts in each world and they all basically look the same and the level design is just a hodgepodge of nothing. It's boring.

That is actually amazing.

• Locked thread