Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY

Smite posted:

Sure. I've heard that one mentioned actually but hopefully it was a joke. Because some jerks raced Link to the Past for five hours, it opened up the doors for all kinds of awful ideas.

We'll be doing some "Mystery Races" too, where no one knows what the game is until its time to start it up.

We joke about stupid games to race all the time but let's avoid racing games that are really long and repetitive by their nature like most RPGs. I don't think anyone wants to watch 4 people grind in Dragon Quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY

ChaosSamusX posted:

Also, what level of expertise is expected from people who are racing? I'd be interested in joining, but I'd probably make the videos last twice as long.

None whatsoever.

But it's probably a good idea to put a time limit on the race so it doesn't go on for 5 goddamned hours.

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY

Smite posted:

I'm not going to restrict how you actually play in any way with one exception: If you play the goddamn slot machines for more than 5 minutes, you forfeit your current run. This means you, Ragny!
Challenge accepted.

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY
So if I finish the chest early by beating dead baby, can I still gently caress around while the others are finishing?

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY

Cernunnos posted:

He and Ragny should be in the same group.

I already recorded my first round but we might meet if he doesn't get eliminated.

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY
Psych, you forgot to include the best Bright Man gif. :colbert:

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY

This game is bullshit.

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY

pandaK posted:

I have a technical question, how big do the raw files for these races usually get? Race times vary but for the ones that take upwards of 3 hours, wouldn't that take up a huge amount of space? Because that's the biggest thing that I'm worried about here.

It depends on the software you're using, the kind of game, and the resolution.

To give you an idea, I still have an old 1 hour and 10 minutes raw recording of an Nes game recorded at 768 by 672 (3x the base resolution). It was recorded using Hypercam 2 and the Lagarith codec and it is around 5.3GB.

If you record something with Fraps, it will probably be much bigger than this.

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY
Soooooo... I received an odd message...

quote:

I hate seeing you complain about Megaman so much in those races, and assuming you will continue playing, I wish to help. I've been playing Megaman all my life, and I've beaten every classic series game, excluding 9. Here's a complete boss order for every game, including fortress boss weaknesses, and games you've already raced.

Megaman 1: Start with Cutman. The order goes Cut > Elec > Ice > Fire > Bomb > Guts > Cut. The Super Arm is pretty useless in combat, but if you want to get the Magnet Beam early, fight Guts Man first. You want to jump immediately before Guts Man touches the ground whenever he jumps. Otherwise just pump him full of buster shots, or do a short hop and fire a bomb (or just get close enough and fire). Elec Man takes three hits from the Rolling Cutter, by the way. Save up at least eight shots in case you die or miss. Cutters can destroy the ground-hugging Spines, too.

I didn't watch the MM1 race fully, but I can envision you having trouble with Ice Man. The trick is to just not move, and jump just before the bottom Ice Slasher hits you, after the second one has cleared your head. If you do have to move horizontally, stop in mid-air. You won't slide that way. This applies for any ice physics in any 2D Megaman game ever, excluding slopes. Which you'll only see in the X series, maybe ZX. Fire Man is just a straight up button mash fest, and with the Ice Slasher and full health, you're guaranteed to come out on top. Try to only have one slasher on screen at a time. Fire Man will never jump, so only fire from the ground.

You already know about the Yellow Devil's weakness, so let me give you a detailed explanation on how to dodge him. The blobs always fly across the screen in a predetermined order, no matter which -NES style- version of the Yellow Devil you're fighting. Megaman 8, you're on your own. Megaman & Bass is an intro stage boss, so you don't have to pay as much attention.

Anyways, I'm rambling. Copy and paste this next bit into a fixed-width font.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 910111213141516171819
j l j l l j l l jljl l l j l l l j l

19 sections of the Yellow Devil will fly across the screen. When there's a j, jump over the piece. When there's an l, go under the piece. The quick succession jljl means short hop over the first piece, whatever you feel comfortable with for the second.

There's no good way to fight the Copy Robot. The best strategy is to sit in the left corner, and only shoot at him when he's at least half the screen away. Fire Storm or Mega Buster only.

CWU-01P (the bubble boss) is weak to the Super Arm, but button mashing with the Mega Buster works a lot better for the first few bubbles. When they get too fast to jump over safely, start throwing Guts Blocks at them. Just be careful - they don't come back, as I'm sure you already know.

I'm sure I don't need to say anything about the first Wily Machine, so on to Megaman 2. To start, go fight Metal Man. Seriously. His stage is ridiculously easy even without any weapons, and you get two E-Tanks. To get the second one without dying, and without any Items, when you make the jump, pause right when you start to fall, then unpause, and repause. Keep doing this until you think you're safe, then do it twice more. You should land on the platform. This works because in Megaman 2, pausing resets your falling speed. Any other Megaman game, this doesn't work.

Anyways, to fight Metal Man, stay in the left corner, jump, then shoot at the top of your jump. Metal Man will jump to one of three heights, and shoot one to three Metal Blades at you, depending on how high he jumps. Jump over the first two, under the third, and shoot him once as he's coming down. Repeat. If he jumps his lowest height, your first shot will hit. Otherwise, you need the shot when he lands. If both of you are on the ground, do NOT shoot. When the conveyor belt switches direction, run into the corner, and continue the strategy. It will be a little harder to dodge, but stick with it.

After fighting Metal Man, you have two equally good choices, but I recommend Bubble Man. He's directly weak to the Metal Blades, and it`s not like you'll ever run out. If you do get down to one bar of Metal Blades, pause, then go back to the game. After you fire your third Blade, pause, then go back. The game will forget how many you'd fired, and you get three more free blades. Continue doing this as long as you need to. Bubble Man is a pushover. Just remember that you can direct your Metal Blades wherever you want by holding the correct direction - up fires them straight up, diagonals on diagonals, down fires straight down. You can even set Metal Blades as traps that will never move by holding two opposite directions, like left and right at the same time. Be careful to guide Bubble Man into those.

After Bubble Man comes Wood Man, who is also weak to Metal Blades. Use bubbles whenever a bunny shows up - three bubbles will do any bunny in. Metal Blades are a convenient way to kill gorillas, birds, and bats, but don't bother with any of the bats until the ladder. Button mash the Hot Dogs to death with your Mega Buster. The ostriches are for all intents and purposes invincible - stop moving for half a second when one appears, then continue right. It should jump over you. If you want to beat Wood Man without getting hit, stay in the left corner again. Jump over the Leaf Shield, then jump again when the falling leaves are about to reach you. I could get about four hits in on Wood Man without getting hit and using this strategy to dodge everything each pass.

After fighting Wood Man, you again have two choices. Flash Man, or Air Man. In a race, choose Flash Man, otherwise go for Air Man. Flash Man is weak to Metal Blades as well. Just don't trap yourself in a corner and you should be fine. However, the giant purple mechs are weak to the Air Shooter. Not the Sniper Joes inside them, just the mechs. The toothpaste worm shooters can be hit by Metal Blades, which also rip through the worms themselves in one hit on Difficult. Direct them down. Try to hit Flash Man himself every time he touches the ground. If he's hit on the ground, he'll jump. It's possible, but not likely, to kill Flash Man before he even reaches you. Also, you should have Item 3 (wall climber) by now, so if you miss the jump to the boss gate, just use that to climb up.

For Air Man's stage, in the first part, use either Metal Blades or your Buster, whichever you feel comfortable with, and take out any tiny flying heads that are in front of you as soon as possible, and keep moving. Only stop if there's a drill to your right. Wait until it completely disappears, then move on. When you reach the cloud platforms, use Metal Blades to kill each Zeus guy. Three blades on difficult, two on normal. Again, direct them diagonally or upwards when the enemies are in tough spots. Continue using the Metal Blades against the birds after you get off your cloud platforms. Ignore the toothpaste shooters. At this final set of floating heads, after you jump on the first head, wait for the drills to go down, then an extra second and a half before you continue to ensure that both heads' drills come up and go down at the same time. I'm sure you know the rest. Taking the Flash Stopper and using it before Air Man can shoot any tornadoes lets you jump behind him earlier than usual. After time starts again, immediately switch to the Leaf Shield, and use it in range of Air Man so that you don't have to move, and the shield hits. It will go away, and no weapon energy will be used, because the shield didn't actually leave Megaman. Airman will blow you across the screen a little, but it's very likely you'll be able to kill him in one pass. If you don't, you have to sit through some Air Shooter patterns, and the time gained from getting the Flash Stopper will be lost.

Go to Heat Man next. Air Man will give you Item 2, which lets you bypass the long section of disappearing blocks. Go as far as you can under the blocks, to the edge of the lava, then use Item 2. You'll fly across the pit effortlessly. DO NOT JUMP OFF THE ITEM 2. Item 3 helps you with the tall walls of disappearing blocks, too. The ground-huggers in this game are weak to bubbles, as is Heat Man. If you want to beat Heat Man without getting hit, right after the fight starts, jump straight up, then move right after you clear the flames, while firing a bubble. Jump over Heat Man when he dashes at you, then hit him with another bubble the moment he becomes vulnerable again. It should be about the time you land if you make a full jump, and you clear Heat Man. Run away, jump when he dashes, repeat. The Prop Tops at the start of the stage (wind up propellor dudes) should take no more than five Metal Blades. Don't worry about keeping them around.

Next, go to Crash Man. His weapon won't really help in Quick Man's stage, Crash Man's is just infinitely easier. No memorization required. Use the Metal Blades on any non-night vertical section. Item 1 to climb to any out of reach ladders without waiting for moving platforms. Use Item 1 again (or 2 if you're feeling fancy and want to ride it to the ladder) to jump over the stack of cans, and use platforms to boost your climbing speed. Jump over the Met (hard hat) and its shots with an Item, and remember to climb the ladder on the right. Use more Item 1 if you have some left before you reach the night screens. When you do, and you're on the first ladder, use the Leaf Shield if tiny birds are flying toward you. Throw the shield after all the birds are dead. To climb the far right ladder without much hassle, make sure you're facing left before you start climbing. For whatever reason, Megaman 2 reverses your direction whenever you start climbing a ladder. When you're facing right on the ladder there, the bird will drop its egg just outside the wall on the right. You can hold up, pausing for half a second to let the bird pass once per screen. After that, you can grab the E-Tank and use either Item 2 or 1 to get back up (1 recommended) and climb the easier to reach ladder. Metal Blade the Prop Tops and use the Air Shooter on Crash Man. Jump, and when you're falling and near Crash Man, fire. Then keep running under Crash Man, and don't stop or turn until the Crash Bomb explodes. He'll take at most three hits, and will jump into your shots.

Quick Man's stage is hard to explain. =\ After the first screen of lasers, hug the right wall, and hold right. If you did a short hop over the ground hugger, you should be falling fast enough to clip the platform and keep going. Hold right until you reach the screen with a 1-up. Grab it and the Energy Tank, and ignore the weapon energy unless you're pretty far ahead.

Mega Buster the Hotheads, and jump periodically when it's dark. Full jumps, there's no pits. Hold right until AFTER the screen transition, then hold left until AFTER you start falling off the middle platform. Hug the walls on the left side of any pit until you're forced to follow the contours of the land. In the large drop with powerups, ignore everything. Hold right down the staircase, continue hugging walls until you see some weapon energy. Stay away from that wall until you fall past the energy. Then hold left. Use the Air Shooter on the purple mechs, the Flash Stopper on Quick Man, then the Air Shooter. If you're playing on Normal, the Air Shooter will do 4 damage to Quick Man. It's easier to hit him with than the Mega Buster.

Contrary to what you might be lead to believe, Quick Man does have a pattern. Jump three times, then run towards Megaman. At the height of the second jump, fire three boomerangs. Other than that, I can't help you fight him. A great chance to get some hits is if he's running into a wall.

At the start of the first Wily Stage, I personally use the Megabuster to shoot bird eggs out of the sky, but that's because I have the timing down to muscle memory. You should be fine with either Metal Blades or Quick Boomerangs. Boomerangs can hit things at your feet, and usually do about as much damage as your Buster, unless you're fighting the Mecha Dragon or Guts Tank. Or Metal Man. Everything will take damage from boomerangs, with one exception - the falling spike presses. But those are in Wily 2. Use Item 3 to climb the walls, not 1. If you want to skip the toothpaste section, you can with Item 2, but you'll need Item 2 for the start of Wily 2. Only do it if you're confident you won't need the three free weapon refills for something else. If you don't want to skip it, Metal Blade through. Blade the Joes too. When you reach the overhang, use your first Item 1 from the bottom of the screen, then climb up the ladder. Stand on the edge of your Item 1, then fire the second. Do the same for the third. You'll have an easy time getting up. Ignore the floating cans, and after you reach the top of the ladder, start charging your Atomic Fire. Only jump to the next floating platform if you can see it. Before the fight actually begins, jump on the middle-height platform, and face the dragon. As soon as the health bar finishes filling, shoot your Atomic Fire, and it should hit the Mecha Dragon for about half its HP on Normal, a quarter on Difficult. Then switch to Boomerangs, jump to the top platform, and mash that B button. Wait until the second ladder in Wily 2, the extra weapon energy and things will be nice. You won't need much Item 2, so grab the top row all for Item 2, and the rest for anything you're missing. There's an E-Tank on the way down if you're willing to spend a crash bomb. You'll need it back before the end of the purple stage, Wily 4. Wily 3 has a few free weapon energy capsules though. Anyways, make your way through the drill section with just the Buster. You'll want your Blades for the boss of Wily 2, and pausing gets annoying in a boss fight. Use Item 3 to climb the ledge after the first spike press, and use your Flash Stopper to run past the third through last. Be careful on your way to Wily 2's boss room. The Pico Pico Masters only take three hits from Metal Blades each on Difficult, two on Normal. Direct your Metal Blades. Diagonals really help.

I doubt you need any help on Wily 3. Just remember that there's some weapon energy for free to the far left at the start, and the spike pit's layout, and you should be golden. Quick Boomerang the Guts Tank in the face. Rapid fire is the key. You can hold the B button down to repeatedly fire, but mashing it gets faster results. Oh, and the boomerangs have the same pause-ammo glitch as the blades. About 8 boomerangs per unit of ammo. That means you get 224 boomerangs on a full set. Go nuts with 'em.

On Wily 4, if you have floating cans moving slowly towards you, put up a Leaf Shield, and don't touch the D-pad until you're going to jump off. On the last platform room, use Item 2. It'll be the last spot you need it, so don't worry about running out. Air Shooter the mechs, be careful with your Crash Bombs against the Buebeam Trap.

Metal Man is weak to both Metal Blades and Quick Boomerangs. Metal Blades kill him faster, and are easier to hit with. Just remember to step off the teleporter. Also, Wood Man is allergic to the Atomic Fire. Charge it up all the way. Keep any Flash Stopper you have left for Quick Man, and only use Leaf Shields on Air Man if you don't have to move to make it hit him. Stay behind Air Man as much as possible. If you hug the left wall, you won't teleport after he dies.

http://www.mmhp.net/ScreenShots/MM2/MM2Teleport.GIF

The Megaman Homepage has helped me a lot in my time. It's a reliable resource.

Anyways, the Wily Machine is weak to Metal Blades. Diagonal fire, rapid fire, only when it's moving right. Otherwise dodge. Use energy tanks if you have to. Also, save some Bubble Lead, you'll need it.

After you beat the Wily Machine, you should fall into a pit. Hold right after the level starts, and switch to Bubble Lead. If you do it right, you should be at the right edge of the screen. Keep your wits about you, hold right, jump when necessary. The only enemies in Wily 6 are lava droplets from the ceiling, and a special boss. I'm not going to tell you its name or appearance, just that it moves in a figure 8 pattern. Stay away from it, jump when it shoots at you, heal immediately if you ever get under half HP, and use Bubbel Lead at close range. Two shots per pass.

More info when I'm not so tired.

Err... Thank you?

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY
I think we got the joke by now.

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY
Or, send a contact request to joesmite.

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY

Bruceski posted:

What did you call Don Quixote Ragny? Donkey Shot?

Don Quichotte. That's just how we write and prononce that name in french.

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

A bunch of normal people, probably playing it mostly blind? It'd take ages.

Yeah it sure would.
Actually, I wouldn't mind racing it either but I'd request the other racers to have played through it at least once.

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY
That was a stream and it broke a bunch of time at the beginning.

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY
This looks like Mega Man 1 with a bunch of Mario sprites, ugly color palette swaps, and slightly different level designs. Enemies and bosses are the same. I don't see how this would be worth playing.

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY
Every day in Papers Please is practically the same length (the game always waits for you to finish the last person on the counter). You could have a competition of whoever has the best score, but first to get to whichever day doesn't make sense since those times are fixed.

Also, as funny as SuperGreatFriend's video was, I doubt it would be that thrilling to watch 4 people do it. But that's just my opinions here.

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY

Let's Race Surgeon Simulator 2013

Featuring Oatmeal Raisin, Psychedelic Eyeball, Skippy Granola and Yours truly.

Get the game on steam. DO IT.

Ragny fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jun 5, 2013

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY
I encourage everyone to play the DKC race co-op as it works perfectly with Smite's guide and there is absolutely no input lag that will make you lose 20 lives on the minecart level.

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY
Yeah, sorry. My group still has to race world 3 and we couldn't find a good time for a while and then I went to Seattle to pay visit to a bunch of friends for a week so it added even more delay.

We're still planning on finishing that eventually.

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY

WitherSnow posted:

I wanna race something. I would be up for like a Super Mario World Race or something. I kinda wanna do a battletoads race with 5 saves per level with Psych and Diabetus. (And whoever else.)

Trevor, what did we tell you about buying Something Awful accounts with your mom's credit card?

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY
I assume any of those secret barrels that skips an entire level will give us a mean time penalty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragny
Feb 29, 2012

I WANT YOU
FOR XCOM ARMY
The final boss of Soleil was the easiest thing I have ever played on Mega Drive. What the hell are you people babbling about.

• Locked thread