Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sweet CupnCakes
Feb 13, 2007

Did you ever walk in a room and forget why you walked in? I think that's how dogs spend their lives.
I have to say that I have been totally put off by this breed because of my crazy neighbor. She has had german shepherds for the last 15 years and she has only gotten worse. When I say crazy I mean it. After her son went to prison 10 years ago she went off the deep end with her alcoholism, pill popping, and depression. She has always had between 3 and 4 shepherds at all times. When she was less crazy and we were friends we would go play with her dogs. They were all very old so they didn't do much but they were nice. Then she brought in a young male that her other son had been training to be a "guard dog" (which means he was training it to be an attack dog). For the last, oh, five or so years this dog has been a terror to the whole neighborhood. It doesn't help that the lady thinks we are all just big meanies who want to take her dogs away from her. This dog has attacked our neighbors goats twice. One time I had to literally beat it off the goat to get it to let go. The pony that was in the goat pen chased it away for me so it didn't attack me. It is constantly getting out and it has charged me on numerous occasions. It waits until your back is turned and then it tries to attack you. I have learned to keep a big stick on my driveway in case I am walking to the mailbox or something. The dog barks at EVERYTHING and he barks at our family who he sees every day like he wants to kill us. I hate that dog and it has given me an unnatural hatred of the breed. I wish this wasn't my only interaction with this type of dog because they seem very beautiful.

Is this type of behavior because it was poorly bred, poorly trained, not exercised properly, all of the above?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweet CupnCakes
Feb 13, 2007

Did you ever walk in a room and forget why you walked in? I think that's how dogs spend their lives.
So even though this woman doesn't specifically train it to be that way because it had that training when it was little it won't let go of it without proper training?

I guess I just assumed a dog would get over that type of behavior when he should technically know us. He sees us every day.

• Locked thread