Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

I've always thought that one of the reasons so many fans have such a strong negative opinion of Carcetti is because his "world" is only incidentally featured in the show and usually as a direct antagonist for the cops or the union or the schools or really even the street where we as an audience are given characters to feel for and support. Baltimore politics (and really politics in general) is at best an annoying obstruction for the stories that "matter".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I do find it funny how much Obama took from the Carcetti playbook, in terms of making big sweeping promises in speeches and then just governing like any other politician

Even if you think he was a good guy early on, I don't know how you keep that view after he decides to gently caress over the schools rather than take money from the Republican governor, because he wants to run for Governor and get out of Baltimore.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think he has a bell curve of selfishness, where he starts out greedy and self aggrandizing, has a moment of conscience where he decides maybe he can actually change and use his position as mayor to help people (this era is perhaps metaphorically ushered in when he declines to cheat on his wife with Teresa), but when he’s tested and has to choose between his career/reputation vs accepting the governor’s money for the good of the city, he goes back to the old he and prioritizes himself

And honestly even his face turn is very very mild, it’s hard to like him too much

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Eason the Fifth posted:

He's definitely complex. Cheats on his wife looking in the mirror like Patrick Bateman but won't sleep with D'Agostino. Says (honestly) he wants to play battleship with his daughter but couches it to Norman like a politician. Betrays his friend on the council but thinks it's necessary for a better cause. Listens to the angel on his shoulder (Wilson) but does what the devil (Steintorf) suggests instead.

His personal life aside, I think he was written as the kind of guy who has good intentions but makes the mistake of thinking they make him a good person (so a perfect politician). If the Wire went on he'd be gunning for president (and probably flop hard like O'Malley).

My read on him not sleeping with D'Agostino was... she only wanted him back after he became mayor. Didn't he make a pass at her somewhere else in the show? Maybe I made that up. I also read it as him trying to go his new the mayoral position as a changed individual, or rather someone making an attempt at real change. But his probity was corroded by the reality of life behind the mayor's desk, as he had to eat figurative bowl of poo poo one after another.

And I think part of his complexity is that he does think he can change things. It's part of his naivete, it's part of his delusion of grandeur, but even still, at times it is sincere. Like, he stabbed Tony in the back yes, but that was because he really thought that he had a capacity to make change that Tony didn't. I definitely found him to be a fascinatingly complex character.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 2, 2024

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

escape artist posted:

My read on him not sleeping with D'Agostino was... she only wanted him back after he became mayor. Didn't he make a pass at her somewhere else in the show? Maybe I made that up. I also read it as him trying to go his new the mayoral position as a changed individual, or rather someone making an attempt at real change. But his probity was corroded by the reality of life behind the mayor's desk, as he had to eat figurative bowl of poo poo one after another.

And I think part of his complexity is that he does think he can change things. It's part of his naivete, it's part of his delusion of grandeur, but even still, at times it is sincere. Like, he stabbed Tony in the back yes, but that was because he really thought that he had a capacity to make change that Tony didn't. I definitely found him to be a fascinatingly complex character.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think he has a bell curve of selfishness, where he starts out greedy and self aggrandizing, has a moment of conscience where he decides maybe he can actually change and use his position as mayor to help people (this era is perhaps metaphorically ushered in when he declines to cheat on his wife with Teresa), but when he’s tested and has to choose between his career/reputation vs accepting the governor’s money for the good of the city, he goes back to the old he and prioritizes himself

And honestly even his face turn is very very mild, it’s hard to like him too much

Yeah, definite agree on both these points. His sincerity is genuine but the person he is isn't enough to carry that torch. Like most other people, sometimes he rises above himself, but the game is rigged and kills him (figuratively) in the end. (Nothing new to posters here, but the game is more than just what Avon or Stringer think it is -- it's the American brand of capitalism and everyone plays it, from the streets to the docks to the political class to the schools and the media.) In the show, like real life, poo poo floats to the top and the good people end up dead, unless good people have someone to help them through.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

frank sobotka having a picture of robert irsay on his dartboard was a nice touch

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

The gently caress did I do?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Carcetti cheats on his wife even before he's in office (twice that we're shown, but probably happens more than that), stabs Tony Gray in the back, and then gradually becomes more and more selfish as he gets into office.

I don't think he was ever "good" even when he starts out as that selfish streak was always there with him, though he does start out being at least a little idealistic and has some good intentions.

And then once he's in office the machine wants to churn him towards becoming president and he's got the proverbial devil on his shoulder in Steintorf telling him to take whatever is the most politically expedient decision there is available. By season 5 if Carcetti could get political points by beheading someone on national tv he'd probably do it. He'd squirm a bit about it but he'd do it.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Cranappleberry posted:

also he lets the mayor burn for the drugs legal stuff only after finding out what it was about himself and physicaly going there and experiencing it. Then uses it as a cudgel against the mayor. He works to purposefully split the vote to get himself elected. He's a political animal through and through.

Yep. He's a pure liberal, he has some real beliefs and occasionally by accident lets them out (his rant about protecting the homeless, for instance) but is, from day one, perfectly happy to compromise them if it gets him more power. And he will always justify it because obviously he'll be able to truly help later. Destroy schools now but he'll totally save them once he's governor lol. It's a fantastic portrayal of real politicians

Orange Devil posted:

"We used to build poo poo in this country" must be number 1 because everything else derives from that.

Basically everything Frank says is ftw

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
obama loved the wire. we're all chud libs now.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Somebody in another thread mentioned Good Hart's Law and I looked it up...

https://www.cna.org/reports/2022/09/goodharts-law posted:

Goodhart’s Law states that “when a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.” In other words, when we use a measure to reward performance, we provide an incentive to manipulate the measure in order to receive the reward. This can sometimes result in actions that actually reduce the effectiveness of the measured system while paradoxically improving the measurement of system performance. 
So pretty much a more formal definition of "juking the stats."

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

deoju posted:

Somebody in another thread mentioned Good Hart's Law and I looked it up...

So pretty much a more formal definition of "juking the stats."

I've worked on major projects and we were never making a building/system etc, we were only ever making KPIs. It's crazy the poo poo people did to make milestones (and collect bonuses for upper management)

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

wife is on a work trip, so I dived right into the Nth rewatch. Bunk and McNulty tricking Dee into writing an apology to the “kids” is never not funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

in short: the gently caress did I do?