Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
One of my favorite parts of season 5 is when the money finally flows for the serial killer case it basically thrusts McNulty into a managerial position in charge of how the funds are spent. He does some good with it at first, and is enjoying himself, but you can tell he comes to hate it and he ends up making a lot of the same decisions "the bosses" made in earlier seasons. And everything comes full circle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mike N Eich posted:

Season 5 definitely has its warts, the shortened season made everything slightly rushed, I never gave a crap about the journalist storyline and the serial killer stuff was just slightly far fetched enough that it didn’t feel like it matched the verisimilitude of the rest of the series.

However, I thought the street level story was really great and worth the price of admission. Everything with Michael and Dukie, Marlo and his crew and Omar felt earned and a great capstone for their stories. I’ll see how it feels on rewatch though.

Yeah, it's impossible to talk about season 5 without talking about the serial killer and newsroom parts, and they're weak, but the rest of the season is as good as any other for the most part imo.

We also are treated to herc dispelling any disbelief for any idiot that might have still been entertaining the notion that he became a cop because he wanted to help people

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

But there's also that scene with Herc and Carver where Carver has to decide what to do with officer Collichio (after he assaults the guy in the car I think) and if Carv should bring the hammer down on him. Herc backs him up on his decision and basically says if you think that's the right thing to do, then it's the right thing to do. It's not a redemptive moment for Herc by any means, but its still a nice moment between the two.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Orange Devil posted:

My favorite Generation Kill fact is that critics found Fruity Rudy to be a completely unbelievable casting decision and characterization for a force recon marine.

Except whoops, the person playing that character is also the literal (ex) force recon marine the character is based on.

As a general rule of thumb for that series, you can tell who the actual marines were by the fact that they are some serious specimens. Eric Kocher and Rudy are both huge

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

zenguitarman posted:

But there's also that scene with Herc and Carver where Carver has to decide what to do with officer Collichio (after he assaults the guy in the car I think) and if Carv should bring the hammer down on him. Herc backs him up on his decision and basically says if you think that's the right thing to do, then it's the right thing to do. It's not a redemptive moment for Herc by any means, but its still a nice moment between the two.

I like that he and Collochio aren't the same kind of shithead cop. Herc genuinely supports his friends, backs them up, and willingly takes all the heat on himself when he tanks his career because he doesn't want to bring down anyone with him. I don't think Collichio would have done that.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Herc and Carver meeting Poot and Bodie at the cinema is another fantastic scene that I just remembered.

I really need to do another rewatch of this show. It has been too long.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
All of my life since watching the Wire has made clear to me that the vast majority of cops in real life are Hercs with a handful of Pryzbylewskis sprinkled in.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair I don’t think Herc at his worst would molest teenage girls apart of the ride along program so I think that is a bit unfair to Herc

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
It’s incredible how differently I felt about Prez by the end, even though he’s never really held accountable for the stuff he does at the start

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Mike N Eich posted:

All of my life since watching the Wire has made clear to me that the vast majority of cops in real life are Hercs with a handful of Pryzbylewskis sprinkled in.

Don’t forget fat old dudes just trying to do as little as possible until retirement.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bird in a Blender posted:

Don’t forget fat old dudes just trying to do as little as possible until retirement.

Augustus Polk we salute you :patriot:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Mike N Eich posted:

Some are Colicchio's and Walker's.

christmas boots posted:

It’s incredible how differently I felt about Prez by the end, even though he’s never really held accountable for the stuff he does at the start

That's very fundamentally what privilege is. Prez undeniably becomes a much better person and has a real positive impact on other people. He also beat out a child's eye for no reason and with no real consequences to himself. The difference is primarily which institution he is a part of. Most people do not get to choose which institution they are a part of, and do not get to avoid consequences when they do some poo poo.

We see plenty of other characters who get to avoid real consequences ofcourse, a lot of them politicians but certainly not all. Davis, Carcetti, Levy, Marlo and the Greek are some examples. Power is the common factor. Prez' power comes from being white and connected. It wouldn't shield him from everything, but it was enough to shield him from the poo poo he did. Marlo is very likely about to overstep how far his power can protect him. Davis and the Greek aren't even close.

And the people who get to avoid nothing are those with the least power. The children being the best example.

Bubbles is amazing because he has no power but manages to confront the consequences of his decisions and his inner demons head on and come out on top of that struggle. At least for now.

Prez' character has growth, but Bubbles has growth if you know what I'm saying.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Aug 14, 2021

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Jerusalem posted:

Daniels: Glad you landed okay.

Polk: Yeah, beats working.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
One of my favorite little moments that I haven't seen mentioned much is in season 5 when Bunk brings Lester is to talk some sense into McNulty and instead Lester instantly jumps on board and starts to scheme with Jimmy and Bunk just can't believe it.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Jerusalem posted:

Who signs our overtime slips?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Human Tornada posted:

One of my favorite little moments that I haven't seen mentioned much is in season 5 when Bunk brings Lester is to talk some sense into McNulty and instead Lester instantly jumps on board and starts to scheme with Jimmy and Bunk just can't believe it.

Bunk's "Lester what the gently caress" face is classic.

"We need to kill again."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DasNeonLicht posted:

Who signs our overtime slips?

Love that Mahon's retirement scheme is to go in halves on a video store.... in the mid-2000s :laugh:

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

algebra testes posted:

Bunk's "Lester what the gently caress" face is classic.

"We need to kill again."

Bunk's "I am not falling into Jimmy's poo poo, I'm going to do some police work" is consistently entertaining in S5.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It enrages me so much when McNulty is being all smug when Bunk comes and asks him to put in the approval to run the DNA from the vacants bodies. I wanted him to haul Jimmy up by the collar and scream at him that he has to ask because Jimmy's bullshit serial killer case has bumped the ACTUAL murders to the back of the forensics queue :argh:

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare
Just finished the last episode. Wow, that was depressing. And a bit frustrating that the ones who deserved it landed well, and the ones who didn't got wrecked. But it's not about deserving, right Snoop? I'm legitimately disappointed that the newspaper story, for all it looked to be building up to a climax, turned into a big nothing in the end.

Now I'm wondering how long I can wait to start a rewatch. This is the first series I've ever felt I could get anything substantial out of a rewatch.

Also, I've been going back to read a lot of the episode write-ups early in the thread, that's some quality reading.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

It enrages me so much when McNulty is being all smug when Bunk comes and asks him to put in the approval to run the DNA from the vacants bodies. I wanted him to haul Jimmy up by the collar and scream at him that he has to ask because Jimmy's bullshit serial killer case has bumped the ACTUAL murders to the back of the forensics queue :argh:

I mean, the "serial killer's" victims are still plenty dead and ain't nobody going to convince me they weren't murdered by capitalism. When you think about it, the biggest serial killer of all.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

werdnam posted:

Just finished the last episode. Wow, that was depressing. And a bit frustrating that the ones who deserved it landed well, and the ones who didn't got wrecked. But it's not about deserving, right Snoop? I'm legitimately disappointed that the newspaper story, for all it looked to be building up to a climax, turned into a big nothing in the end.

Now I'm wondering how long I can wait to start a rewatch. This is the first series I've ever felt I could get anything substantial out of a rewatch.

Also, I've been going back to read a lot of the episode write-ups early in the thread, that's some quality reading.

The fact that most of the endings are so unsatisfying makes it that much sweeter for Bubbles, imo. I mean if you had to pick just one character to get a happy ending he's the one.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Bubbles' entire arc is perfect including the final montage.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
Is the rest of Simon's ouevre (Generation Kill, Treme, etc) worth a watch?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Generation Kill is a good watch if you're interested in seeing an alternate universe where Ziggy left Baltimore and joined the Marine Corps :v:

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

James Ransone is so, so good in Generation Kill. The show is good. Show Me A Hero is really good, too (and short). I watched a couple episodes of Treme, but never got hooked.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
+1 on Generation Kill. Seen it thrice I think? Probably gonna watch it again sometime.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

werdnam posted:

--GK is an impossibly accurate look at the invasion of Iraq from the perspective of infantry Marines. The details, attitudes, and general vibes that Simon got right are amazing.

--I really like The Deuce. I think it's the third best thing he's done after The Wire and Generation Kill. The 70's-80's New York in that show is so filthy you can almost smell it. Plus there's some incredible acting from just about the whole goddamn cast. But it's really depressing.

--Like other people itt, I thought Treme was good but it didn't hook me past the first season. The music is fabulous though.

--I tried to watch The Corner but couldn't, because it was a little too real.

--I haven't watched The Plot Against America. I hear it's pretty good, but it's one of those shows about fascism that came out under Trump and I wasn't much in the mood (sort of like watching The Leftovers during covid lockdown)

--I'm really looking forward to the next show he's doing on the corrupt baltimore task force. I get the feeling it's going to be an incredible companion piece (if not a coda) to the Wire.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Aug 16, 2021

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

werdnam posted:

Generation Kill is very good at documenting what it wants to document. You will not feel good at the end, but it's an excellent mini-series.

Treme starts out with a sense of purpose about a specific place at a specific time--broad and meandering, sure, but it has a focus--but it slowly just becomes a love letter to New Orleans and its characters (fictional and otherwise) in later seasons. It's not bad at all, and the music is consistently phenomenal, but there's an aimlessness about it.

The Plot Against America is also really good, but I've only seen it the one time. It captures a slice of American history in the late 30s that a lot of Americans would rather not remember.

I haven't seen The Deuce or Show Me a Hero, but Simon is one of the most consistently quality showrunners in the business.

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006
Capitalism makes criminals of us all

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Show me a hero and Gen Kill are both great.

The "At least my mom took me to Nascar..." bit will be with me until the end of time.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 16, 2021

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
The Deuce is great and the most The Wire-like thing he's done since then I think. It also ties crime to police / government, but with fewer procedural elements / less cop show stuff. Unfortunately it's a little hard to watch a show about sex exploitation starring noted acting coach creep / teen seducer James Franco. It's an ensemble show, but he has the biggest part (playing two characters) and also doesn't bring a lot to the table, acting-wise. If you can get past that the rest of the show is definitely worth investing in.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

werdnam posted:

Show Me A Hero, Generation Kill & The Deuce are all excellent loving television.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Eason the Fifth posted:

--I haven't watched The Plot Against America. I hear it's pretty good, but it's one of those shows about fascism that came out under Trump and I wasn't much in the mood (sort of like watching The Leftovers during covid lockdown)

I had forgotten that this was also Simon. It was a good show with the exception of the ending. First, the fascists end up being Right All Along because the Jews did have a secret plot to kill Limburgh. And more topically: It works as they thought it would. They remove Lindburgh and everything goes back to normal and FDR wins. Despite all his protests to the contrary the last episode is 100% What Libs Thought Would Happen in 2020.
But also I'm Jewish so I have a soft spot for shows with unapologetic Jewish characters doing Jewish things and pandering to Jewish Americans.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

I had forgotten that this was also Simon. It was a good show with the exception of the ending. First, the fascists end up being Right All Along because the Jews did have a secret plot to kill Limburgh. And more topically: It works as they thought it would. They remove Lindburgh and everything goes back to normal and FDR wins. Despite all his protests to the contrary the last episode is 100% What Libs Thought Would Happen in 2020.
But also I'm Jewish so I have a soft spot for shows with unapologetic Jewish characters doing Jewish things and pandering to Jewish Americans.

It was the brits who set up the assassination of Lindbergh. The show also ends with agents burning ballot boxes so it's up in the air weather or not everything goes back to normal

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Alhazred posted:

It was the brits who set up the assassination of Lindbergh. The show also ends with agents burning ballot boxes so it's up in the air weather or not everything goes back to normal

Rothschilds are back, baybee

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012

Human Tornada posted:

In my opinion Lester is the single biggest reason the serial killer plotline doesn't work.

Drunk McNulty juking some stats, I can believe that, he was always a self righteous twat who would use anybody to get what he wants so it is perfectly consistent for him. But Lester was not McNulty. Lester was the guy who learned the hard way that McNultys bullshit didn't work, he spent all those years in the pawn shop and came out with a lot of perspective on police work.

Remember this exchange:

Lester: Tell me something, Jimmy. How exactly do you think it all ends?
McNulty: What do you mean?
Lester: A parade? A gold watch? A shining Jimmy-McNulty-day moment, when you bring in a case sooooo sweet everybody gets together and says, “Aw, poo poo! He was right all along. Should’ve listened to the man.” The job will not save you, Jimmy. It won’t make you whole, it won’t fill your rear end up.
McNulty: I dunno, a good case -
Lester: Ends. They all end. The handcuffs go click and it’s over. The next morning, it’s just you in your room with yourself.
McNulty: Until the next case.
Lester:Boooooy, you need something else outside of this here.

Its a pivotal scene in the whole series, Lester speaking from experience and trying to teach McNulty that it isn't all about the cases, that they are not worth all the backstabbing and trouble that McNulty thinks needs to be done.

Do you really think that that Lester Freeman happily gets involved in a fake serial killer scheme?

Remember when Rawls was gutting major crimes and was speaking to Lester, told him that perhaps Lester could face it out but was he prepared to sacrifice the others? Lester wasn't McNulty, he had the perspective to know it wasn't worth it to fight, that it was better to admit defeat and avoid the clash with Rawls. He took the deal and moved back to homicide where he just got on with things. McNulty would have bucked and tried to prove himself right anyway, Lester just let it go, he knew better.

The Lester Freeman portrayed in the rest of the series would not have gotten involved in that serial killer scheme and to be honest I think it really took away from some of the earlier scenes to have him do a complete 180 in the final series.

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006
Lester found his happiness outside the job. He was close to being done anyway and saw a chance to do actual PO lease work. He wasn’t looking for a lester freeman day he was going out on his terms

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Bit like Bunny tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

werdnam posted:

For me, The Wire basically required a rewatch it was so dense and layered. There was a lot of stuff I put together the second time that flew totally over my head on the first watch.

Also, if you like episode recaps, Jerusalem has some great write ups in the Sopranos thread.

Agree that Lester was all wrong for Jimmy's accomplice in that whole fiasco. If it were someone like Herc it might have gone down easier but, aside from the interactions with McNulty and Templeton, the entire plot was a low point.

E:

Also, I keep forgetting to check out Generation Kill

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Aug 28, 2021