Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I haven't read most of the thread (too many spoilers) but I just finished season 4 and man.....:smith:

That was a hard season to watch. It just went to a pretty bleak, dark place. I can't wait to finish season 5 though, so I can read this thread and finally discuss some of the themes, characters, and aspects of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So i just finished Season 5 today. What a ride.

The last episode really had me thinking about the characters. They were so well written, and I feel like most characters had a pretty good arc. What I found really fascinating upon thinking about it was the almost all of the characters either progress personally, or within the institution of which they are a part, but never both. It shows that to play the game, you've got to sacrifice certain morals, values, or even family. Daniels stuck to his morals, and was hosed. Carcetti was only concerned with heading to Annapolis and became just another dishonest politician. It was so interesting how almost as soon as Carcetti becomes mayor, we begin to see less and less of Carcetti the man, and begin to simply see him in meetings or press conferences and letting his cronies speak for him.

Then there is the street, where the same thing applies. But on the street, loyalty to the institution gets you fame, street cred, and money.....but no future. Almost everyone who was loyal to the street had their moment, then wound up dead or in jail.

I'm glad certain people got out, especially my boy Poot. Namond, too. It just at least gives you some :unsmith: silver lining in an otherwise bleak view of the streets. And how could I forget Bubbles....who's story in the 5th season, as little as he was shown, really carried the season for me personally. No joke I started crying during the montage when he sat down to dinner with his sister. That was a storyline you could really cheer for in the 5th season, which was full of lovely selfish people making lovely selfish decisions. Ironically, it was Bubbles coming to terms with his own selfish behavior that became a personal breakthrough for him.

I'd love to talk about characters and character arcs until the next synopsis is up, so fire away folks.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Just had a bowl of that Honey Nut in memory of Omar.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The one bad thing about the Wire is that any (or i should say most) police procedural you watch after you've seen it is about as hokie as an episode of Barney and Friends.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I mentioned before how hard it was for me to watch season 4, and I think most of that is the feeling of hopelessness you get from seeing children who pretty much never had a chance.

I get that same punch-in-the-gut feeling from the shootout reenactment in the last episode written-up. If you didn't know before, you say to yourself "no wonder most of these kids turn out the way they do".

But the hopelessness provides a great contrast for the rare success story, and makes the debate scene (Carcetti! :argh:) featuring Namond all the more satisfying knowing he turned out alright.