Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

Finished a rewatch recently. I honestly think my favorite part of the whole series is Brianna's expression when Donette says she wants to date Stringer because she feels safe with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

freebooter posted:

I can't stand this scene. It's one of the rare moments (like the chess scene) where they really overreach and it becomes ham fisted. They're trying to point out how he's using his street smarts and observation to adjust his stock portfolio, which is a thing his lackeys would never even think to possess.

It's not a dumb business decision because it came before a boom (the writers could hardly have known that), it's a bad decision (and bad writing) because no competent businessman would ever buy or sell stocks based on the lone observation of what a single ghetto kid was doing with his phones. And no, I didn't get the impression that we were supposed to think he was making a bad decision.

A central arc of the show is that, you can wear a suit and have a bit of knowledge or a bit of luck, but the game will always spit on your pretensions in the end. You weren't necessarily supposed to think it was a bad decision, financially, but the show was going out of its way to paint Stringer as a pretender to another world. That "no competent businessman" would act that way was the point. You're blaming the writers for missing a target that they weren't aiming for.

Stringer selling phone stocks and ordering a hit on Clay are two sides of the same coin - maybe he accepts what he is, maybe he doesn't, maybe he lies to himself about it, but regardless, if you're from the street then the street is all you know.

Poot walked away and Cutty didn't take the shot, but it's impossible to look at where they ended up and see them as anything more than products of the game. Even if you have some say on what ending you get, you don't get to choose the world you belong to.

I do agree on the chess scene though. It's a pretty glaring example of a conversation that no ghetto kids would ever have, but that college-educated writers think would be really neat if they did.

tirinal fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Aug 14, 2015

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

The lack of money wasn't supposed to affect the crime stats. It was just supposed to affect the crime.