Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I know I shouldn't be posting in this thread yet, since I'm doing my first watch (there will be MANY more) and I'm only on S5E4, but does Prez come back? :ohdear:

I'm not planning on reading what I can only (seriously) assume is some great dissertations you goons are writing until I'm ACTUALLY done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

Any word on the bluray rerelease? Google doesn't say poo poo and amazon has it on sale for $86. Been holding off a rewatch since the dvd video quality sucks so badly.

For any Canadian goons who have Bell (heh), you probably already have CraveTV (https://www.cravetv.ca), and they have somehow struck a deal with HBO to allow pretty much anything new and old on there. poo poo, not even HBO Canada was doing that, so I'm pretty impressed. The Crave app also does Chromecast, if you have that. It's how I watched The Wire this past month for the first time, and the quality was great. Also, all 5 seasons were widescreen.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Does anyone else come in here and complain about how this show has ruined other shows? I guess it can be argued that they had it coming, but now EVERYTHING sounds fake and acted.

Edit: Oh, and don't forget "plots twisting for convenience-sake".

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Thaddius the Large posted:

Depends on what you enjoy, the Shield is just as fun for me as the Wire (fun being used in a very loose sense), just for different reasons, I'm not expecting lifelike dialogue or wholly realistic narratives/plot, I'm expecting Vic Mackey to bust some heads, be a terrible person, and do crazy poo poo to stay out of trouble.

Absolutely, I agree. I was really referring to that level of show quality that's below The Shield, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, and The Wire. New stuff like Daredevil and Sense8 just don't do it whatsoever for me, mostly because everyone is saying the right thing at the exact right time, and it feels like a lot of stuff is glossed over. I know that it's not actually the aim of these shows to show all of that detail like The Wire, they're after the Big Picture, but I guess that's really not working for me anymore.

I still have no problems with Game of Thrones in this regard, since the whole thing seems outlandish to begin with.

Also, while I think Lance Reddick is awesome, he DOES seem to be playing the same character as he does in Fringe, and his non-Jamaican scenes in Oz.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I read the name before I heard it, and initially thought it was Cargetti. It annoyed me the whole time that there wasn't a G in there.

And it didn't sound like "carjetty".

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I got kind of teary with that final scene between Michael and Bug :smith:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'd have to say that this is my favourite scene from the entire show. There are many, MANY great ones, but overall, as silly as it is, this one wins.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

MrSlam posted:

If we can play pretend for a sec and say that every story ever told took place in the same or parallel dimensions of the same universe, and that an actor represents the same soul traveling across time and space Cloud Atlas-style, then the Doman-soul redeems himself from his long stretches of political intrigue, organized crime, and brutal dictatorship (Caesar from Fallout: New Vegas) and finally finds peace in the 24th century.

Holy poo poo, he was Caesar?! Wow! I had no idea.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I don't follow the oscars, did Tom McCarthy (Templeton) win for writing Spotlight?

Man, I gotta see that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cartouche posted:

Or especially after taking out a dozen zombies alone solo prior. Seriously, Cutty should have been able to simply punch zombie skulls and kill them instantly.

Wire talk: Still savoring S3 and am holding off on S4 for the moment.

S4 is good poo poo.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Harold Stassen posted:

All over a fuckin' church window.

This right here, loving gently caress.

Poor Frank.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Aces High posted:

maybe that's what I should ask for Christmas, box set of The Wire

I'd totally buy this for you, but oftentimes, after expenses, you could say that I'm... way down in the hole.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Oh my god, Tom Fontana, too?

I'm a huge fan of Oz, so I'll definitely be checking this out (aside from the fact that it seemed neat already).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

For anyone who saw Masters of Sex (season 4), a certain Andre Royo plays Sammy Davis Jr :toot: