Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

drunken officeparty posted:

I mean they are on the same team and everything right?

One of the basic truths this show tries to get across is the complex answer to this question. In regular fantasy TV, yes, all the police and judges and politicians are on the same team and they act as such. In real life, as portrayed by this show anyway... well, if you watch the whole thing, you'll see how profoundly disturbing the the truthful answer of "they're supposed to be" is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Renzian posted:

Speaking of Randy and season 4 and the like, there's something that I only caught on like my 2nd or 3rd watch through of the series and it just breaks your heart in two. It's in the last episode of the entire show in season 5. I'm gonna spoilertag everything just to be safe, but I will say it's dialogue between Dukie and Michael. They're in Mike's car, and Mike is telling Dukie how he has to go away for a while (because of the whole business with Snoop getting shot). Dukie starts to laugh and try to lighten the mood and goes "Hey man, remember when...?" and describes the scene where we're first introduced to Dukie and his gang of friends - where they ran into some bullies, tried to get them back for beating on Dukie, but ended up drenching themselves in piss with their piss balloons instead. Mike just looks at him, and it's clear he can't remember it at all. Dukie tries to make him remember, but gives up when it's clear that it's a lost cause. It's heartbreaking because that's Dukie's last good memory before poo poo went bad for him and his friends, his last moment of real childhood, where he could just be a kid and have fun and not have to worry 24/7 about the crap deal that was his life.

Heartbreaking :(

This right here is possibly the best scene in the show, at the very least the best scene between two kid actors I've ever witnessed. Michael's response of just "I don't" is absolutely crushing.

The last episode is great if you like to experience many very different emotions in quick succession.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Are ANY HBO shows on Netflix? I think they're pushing HBO Go so your options are to get at that or get illegal, I think.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

gingerberger posted:

It will never be on netflix unless hbo has a serious change in their business model so don't wait around for it. Also be careful with downloading it, hbo has hired 3rd party firm to hunt down people downloading, idk if any real punishment could come of it, but they will send angry legal letters to you and your ISP so I would suggest getting a cheap DVD player or upgrade to TV/laptop with hdmi connectors

The first time, at least, they just warn you.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I think the Treme thread died, but it's also such a great show. Much less cynical than the wire, but just as real.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I'm sure someone's pointed this out before, but I only just realized this:

Dostoevsky posted:

Once on Sunday, near evening, we happened to walk alongside a crowd of six drunken workers for fifteen paces. I suddenly became convinced that it is possible to express all thoughts and sensations – even a whole chain of reasoning – through a single short noun. One member of the group sharply and energetically pronounced a word, expressing his own scornful rejection of something they had been talking about, In response, another repeated [his same noun using an entirely different tone and sense, expressing serious doubt about the validity of the first speaker’s rejection. A third, suddenly becoming indignant with the first, sharply and heatedly entered into the conversation. He shouted the same noun at the first but with a sense that was abusive and reproachful. Here the second reentered, indignant with the third (i.e., the offender); he cautioned him: “Why did you fly in like that? We were talking calmly and in you come swearing.” He expressed this thought using the same venerable word, the name of a single object. His speech differed from the others only in that he raised his hand and took the third speaker by the shoulder. Suddenly a fourth speaker – the youngest who previously had been silent – discovered a solution to the difficulty that had initially given rise to the argument. He raised his hand in delight and shouted ... ."Eureka,.”.. “I found it, I found it!” No, not, “Eureka,” nor, “I found it”: he merely repeated that same noun, only the one word. But he said it with delight, a visage of ecstasy. This seemed too strong. The sixth, a sullen individual and the oldest in the group, did not like it. He quickly snubbed the naive delight of the younger. He turned to him and sullenly repeated that same noun – a noun forbidden to women – with a nasal base tone. His meaning was clear and precise: “What are you screaming about?.* Not saying another word, then, they repeated their pet word six times in sequence and understood each other completely.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
The idea that it's some kind of puzzle and needs to be 'cracked' is really dumb anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
It doesn't really matter if she is or not, the point was that America/audiences are captivated by fictional, Dexter-like serial killers, with complex motives and brilliance, when there are very real, brutal 'serial' killers in every major city, who do what they do not for some esoteric reason, but simply because of the Drug War and how our world chooses to operate. On one hand, you have essentially a comforting idea, that serial killers are part of a interesting game that they play with law enforcement, and they have deep psychological reasons as to why they do what they do. On the other, non-fictional hand, drug dealers/gangsters have no complex, personal motive, may not be brilliant, and drop very real bodies in every city every single day because of the nature of the system--a chilling idea.