Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I think I'm the only person who actually likes Carcetti and thinks he's okay.

He's self serving yes, but the fact remains that I don't think he does a terrible job given that he gets hit with a schools crisis to the tune of $54 million dollars. Where I see Royce as a guy who's self serving to the point of not even trying to do good, I see Carcetti as a guy who's more balanced in that he at least tries to do good from his position whilst also being aware of his advancement.

I genuinely feel that had the schools thing not come up, the work that would have been done by the police department probably would have done volumes for Carcetti's reputation to the point that he wouldn't have needed to game the stats for governor.

Eventually he's forced to game the police stats but in all honesty, if it's that to get rid of a Republican governor who wanted to bend him over, then I'd take that deal every single time.

I feel that complete selflessness is certainly commendable and important, but ultimately not something I expect from anyone. A mix between caring about yourself and others is respectable and I feel Carcetti has that. It's just a shame that he got hit with the crisis when he did.

TLDR: I like Carcetti because I am a self serving dude that wants to get into politics later on in my life.

Separate to this, in terms of the pay bump and revenue concept. It's a bit weird to claim that revenue is for a rainy day. Revenue is by definition a stream of wealth. It doesn't make sense that it would be a rainy day fund, the money that you're saving from the revenue might be, but that wouldn't go away magically if you used the revenue on something else, it just wouldn't get any bigger. Carcetti's read on this seems to be correct, he can use the revenue surplus to fund a pay rise to the police.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Red Lancer posted:

This isn't quite how rainy day funds work. They don't get any revenue of their own, and only receive money when excess money exists in other funds and the taxing unit (in this case, the city of Baltimore) wants to move it to a fund where it can be used for any purpose. It really isn't smart to use this money for a permanent pay bump as there's no guarantee that it will always be there. It's another case of Carcetti playing the short game and having his sights on the statehouse.

Thanks, that makes a lot more sense.