Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KaosPV
Sep 25, 2007
Mediterranean schizo
Does anybody else think that that episode when they show Stringer Bell's library with Wealth of the nations, and him attending economics classes are just like... uh... Trying to hard, and ending up looking dumb? It's kind of if like they were trying to say "look at this criminal mastermind motherfucker, reading Adam Smith and poo poo, and he also knows about economics, he's got the academic knowledge AND the street wisdom". Adam Smith is loving centuries old and yeah, it's a classic of economics, but it's not like they're showing some loving cutting edge economist that is all the hot poo poo with neocons nowadays, which would have made more sense (like putting forward the whole idea of wanting to have a completely deregulated, outside of the state market, with drugs and poo poo).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaosPV
Sep 25, 2007
Mediterranean schizo

thathonkey posted:

Not really. Somebody else made a better post about this same subject, but basically these scenes exemplify Stringer wanting to jump outside of the life he was born into. Taking economics classes at a community college does not an expert business man make. This is demonstrated later in the season when he gets easily played by much smarter players in the arena he's trying to enter. Stringer is from the street and happens to pick up a few nuggets of wisdom that anybody with a basic understanding of business and economics already knows. Yet he wants desperately to transpire that lifestyle but ultimately fails at it. He isn't even able to implement any of these simple business parables into the drug enterprise that he controls. I'm sure somebody else can dig up a more articulate analysis but yeah, I think those scenes are crucial to Stringer's character.

Cool, that makes a lot of sense. I mean, I obviously saw him being outplayed, I just didn't get that the intention of putting the book on the shelf or him taking classes was kind of showing the futility of him trying to rise above the level he was doomed to stay in. In a way, the show was actually making fun of the cliché I thought I was seeing (the one with "he comes from the streets but he's also a businessman genius! careful guys!").

Thanks for elaborating it.

KaosPV
Sep 25, 2007
Mediterranean schizo

Blind Melon posted:

That's not entirely true, Stringer does implement some of the stuff he learns. That's where he got the rebranding and false competition ideas, from talking to his professor.

Yeah, I guess those kind of things were the ones that were pushing me towards my previous idea. But I think thathonkey got it right, and maybe those "ideas he implemented" were just lucky guesses or stabs in the dark he took. Kind of like making him delusional he was actually that businessman genius, until he got, well... rain danced. Gotta love that dialogue, btw.